Been watching non Big 12 basketball lately...

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I admittedly haven't watched a lot of non Iowa Big 10 games, but objectively speaking if you were a fan of an opposing team, would you rather your team have to defend Iowa or Iowa State? It's Iowa State and not even close. Now you throw defense into the occasion and the answer definitely changes. I guess I just look around at other teams that have clear alphas on offense and I wonder why in year 3 of TJ we still don't have one. Even 15-13 NIT bound UCF had a couple players I'd trust more with the game on the line to get a bucket over any of our guys.
Last time I checked, the vaunted Iowa offense was scoring 65 while the lowly Iowa State offense had 90

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I know what the metrics say, and for sure they say Big 12 is best. I just don't know if the metrics are going to tell the whole story this year. I am thinking they won't. These sometimes offensively challenged Big 12 teams and another that lacks critical depth (KU) may be just as susceptible to these types of upsets. In my opinion anyway. The Pitt game from last year is just too fresh on my memory right now, watching our Cyclones struggle to put points on the board as of late.
If you don’t use metrics it’s basically impossible to make a determination on who is “best”. Basketball is a very swingy sport and the tournament has never been good at consistently crowning or determining best teams. Sometimes you get bad matchups, sometimes you can’t make a basket to save your soul, and some teams/coaches are just horrible in the tournament.

This is just a wild topic to be started from a Big12 fan. I get the nervousness I guess but your squad is astronomically better than last year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you don’t use metrics it’s basically impossible to make a determination on who is “best”. Basketball is a very swingy sport and the tournament has never been good at consistently crowning or determining best teams. Sometimes you get bad matchups, sometimes you can’t make a basket to save your soul, and some teams/coaches are just horrible in the tournament.

This is just a wild topic to be started from a Big12 fan. I get the nervousness I guess but your squad is astronomically better than last year.

IIrc last year's tourney game for ISU was a one off even by their standards of being pretty marginal on offense (putting it nicely).

I think every single player had their worst day of the season by a long shot. There was something like if even 3 players were better ISU has a good chance to win that game.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
IIrc last year's tourney game for ISU was a one off even by their standards of being pretty marginal on offense (putting it nicely).

I think every single player had their worst day of the season by a long shot. There was something like if even 3 players were better ISU has a good chance to win that game.
That’s kinda my point, in the tournament stuff happens. Virginia lost to a 16 seed and then won it all the next year with basically the same team. The tournament results obv matter but don’t override a successful season because in a one game elimination format all it takes is for a team to get hot and the better team can easily lose.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What is wrong with you people. Our team is head and shoulders better than Iowa. Stop fearing them.

I don’t think Iowa still has a PG that could even get into an offense against our defense. If you shut down their running game, they struggle. We’ve never had issues getting back on defense this year. You make it a half court game and they struggle to score.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Statistically speaking I am not crazy. Go look at the stats. Iowa has better shooters and scorers than we do. One game sample size against us be damned, I'm looking at the 30 game sample size.
Did Fran put you up to this?

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don’t think Iowa still has a PG that could even get into an offense against our defense. If you shut down their running game, they struggle. We’ve never had issues getting back on defense this year. You make it a half court game and they struggle to score.
And they had zero rim protection against us, and that hasn’t changed. They are still awful at rim protection.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008

I think the NCAA tournament has actually been really really good at determining the BEST team in the last 10 years or so. Its just a crappy way to determine a "Sweet 16" due to the reasons you mention.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
What is wrong with you people. Our team is head and shoulders better than Iowa. Stop fearing them.
Exactly. The level of defense played in the Big East, Big 10 and ACC is in a completely different stratosphere then the defense played in the Big 12. Outside of the blue bloods like Duke, UNC, Purdue and Uconn I would absolutely love to play these teams in the NCAA tournament. Could we lose to a Marquette, Creighton or Illinois in the Sweet 16. Absolutely but teams like Iowa, Northwestern, Clemson or Wake Forest we would absolutely steamroll. Think about what Houston has done to teams in the past in the tournament. Elite offense teams with athleticism all over the floor and upperclassmen in the backcourt are the teams that scare me at this point. And quite frankly there are only a handful of those teams in the country.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is pathetic guys. I’m thinking about teams like SDSU, Utah St, S. Carolina, Auburn, and Dayton in the 2nd round and a bunch of people are worrying about Iowa lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

There's nothing to fear from them...it's the one game scenario that seems like a 'shoe in' type of deal that won't be.

Was ISU head and shoulders better than other teams that have upset them?

Paz23

Feb 23, 2016
I was using Iowa as an example only, of teams that have more dangerous scorers than we do. I probably should have picked a different example. I don't think they are better than us simply because I think they have better shooters and scorers
Reminds me of Days of Thunder when Cole sets the track record in practice. Rowdy tells him we'll see how he does in a crowd. Same concept. They lost by 25 in December. If that's not the basketball equivalent of getting put into the wall, I don't know what is.

As for the opinion that we don't have an Alpha that can get a bucket when needed, that has some validity. But like others have said, we have 3-5 really good options on the floor at any given time and we also have a defense that reduces the chances that we will need that Alpha to match an opponent, scoring-wise.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I still don't want them in the tournament.

Best of 5 or 7, give me ISU 3/4-1 at worst.

But not in one game scenario where Iowa plays out of their minds.

I just can't see Iowa getting a lot of quality looks or in rhythm shots against us. Our defense would absolutely have Fran and friends hating life. Plus our guards would get to the basket at will on Iowa.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
There's nothing to fear from them...it's the one game scenario that seems like a 'shoe in' type of deal that won't be.

The only time we’ve been upset since the Hampton loss in 2001 was UAB. Even then, that team in 2015 had some real chemistry/team issues at the end of the year that was starting to show up on the court.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

This is every team in the country lol. No one is undefeated, no one is unscathed from losing a game they “should” have won. This is a seriously sad. Get to tournament, get best possible seed, play games. That’s all that can be done. For every team in CBB.

What I’m hearing in this thread today is “maybe it would be better if we didn’t make the tournament because we could get upset by a hot-shooting team and my ego will take a hit”. Explain it to me if I’m wrong.