BDJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
There were times this season where I truly believed, that talent-wise, he was the best player on the team. Hope he gets his mojo back. We can be really good when everyone is playing well.

when he's on he is the best player on the team. no doubt about it.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines
BDJ is our only hope at winning the tourny in KC and NCAA. When he is playing well the entire team is playing well. His experience and skill set must be on full display this month.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Thomas has sat entire halves as well.

In my opinion, Fred just went with the hot hand, like he said. There's no way you were taking out those 5 on that run. Additionally, Thomas was playing very good defense and made some good first half plays, which is why I think he was in there during the 2nd and not BDJ.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
We were on a 22-0 run, I'd stick with those guys
Matt and Nader were both subbed in during that run. The run continued even with those guys being subbed in. I don't think Hoiberg was going "oh *****, better not make subs the rest of the game! We're on a run!"

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Thomas has sat entire halves as well.

In my opinion, Fred just went with the hot hand, like he said. There's no way you were taking out those 5 on that run. Additionally, Thomas was playing very good defense and made some good first half plays, which is why I think he was in there during the 2nd and not BDJ.
I also thought Matt's defense was pretty good. He collapsed to the middle when he had to cut off penetration and he still managed to get out to the three point line and get a hand in the shooter's face several times. Also, he's apparently the only Cyclone who doesn't foul on threes.

CYdways432

Jan 22, 2015
Cedar Rapids
I think a lot of you hit the nail on the head with BDJ. While he might not of played a lot recently I think he is vital to a run in the tourney. His size and length really make him a good defender when he is engaged.

A lot of people have gave up on him but I still have faith in him to have an another outburst like the Arkansas game.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
We need Randy P to get the scoop on what's going on.

randogger22

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
I had heard there was some yelling after the game with one of the assistants. Don't know if there is truth to it or not. If so, hope it gets ironed out soon. Miss his highlight dunks.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
During the BU game they were stretching him out after half instead of warming up. I would guess he's having back spasms. His time has gone down since he landed hard in the first half of that game. He was a stud defending that night.

What color is the sky in your world?

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I don't think there's anything going on; BDJ does tend to "ballstop" and that kind of style could really cramp up the run ISU was going on. BDJ will play a big part in the tourney run, no need to make anything more out of it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He may be a little dinged up, but if there is any guy on our team that can kill or offensive flow it's BDJ. He's capable on offensive, and when he's on he's great. But he seems to be the one guy more than anyone that the ball seems to stick with. Last night, I think Matt got the nod over him because even when Matt struggles he keeps the ball moving and seems to take good shots for the most part.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The thing that frustrates me is he's a good enough rebounder and passer he should be productive even when the shots aren't falling. When he works hard he's an incredible defender too. Just really wish he could reach his full potential in all aspects of the game because he is one of only a couple players who can match up talent wise with anybody.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I find it hard to believe it was a quality of play deal given Thomas and Nader got minutes. When BDJ is on, he is right there with Morris and Georges. When he is off, he is still better than Thomas and Nader. Maybe it was a rare time in which PT has been used as a motivator.

We need him to play, which may require a similar leash as Thomas and Nader.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
From here on out we are going to need multiple guys really stepping up each night with big games. We need BDJ to be one of those guys about every other game, if we are going to have a nice post-season. Hope he is healthy or at least gets healthy for KC. If we play three nights in a row, BDJ is going to have to come up big.

As far as Thomas goes, I think he is playing the best all-around ball he has played so far at ISU.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I find it hard to believe it was a quality of play deal given Thomas and Nader got minutes. When BDJ is on, he is right there with Morris and Georges. When he is off, he is still better than Thomas and Nader. Maybe it was a rare time in which PT has been used as a motivator.

We need him to play, which may require a similar leash as Thomas and Nader.

I don't think it is so much quality of play as it is type of play. BDJ is a good player, but even his biggest fan would be hard-pressed to say he doesn't hurt our offensive flow at times. It would have been a big gamble to put him in with as well as we were flowing offensively.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO the sharp drop in BDJ minutes is the result of three things.
First he has done something to get in CFHs dog house. Why else would he sit the second halves against KSU & OU?

Second, there are just so many minutes. Monte, Georges, Jameel and Dustin were all lights out in the second half. Those guys were only going to get a couple minutes of rest, barring foul trouble. We didn't need another:scorer on the floor in the 2nd half, we needed defenders. BDJ is more often than not a liability on defense. Nader was a stud on defense against OU and Matt was also solid. Third BDJ is best on offense when he is slashing to the bucket or backing someone down. Last night in the second half we switched between Monte & Georges being the dribble, drive, shoot or distribute. The guys that played can get their offense off the pass.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
BDJ can still be a very important part of our team. I hope he really picks it up and gets out of this funk. Man, if he can get going along with the others we could really be a dangerous team. I think all of us are pulling for him, I hope what is going through is temporary and there is still some great play left for him this year.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I wish that Fred could have landed BDJ when he transferred after his freshman year. He would have had a redshirt year to learn what his responsibilities are in terms of both offense and defense in a Hoiball system. Some of the current struggles appear to be a result of 4 guys trying to play one system and one guy reverting back to bad habits acquired while being "coached" for 3 years in Rice's "system".

Many of the issues related to being on the same page pop up on the defensive end. BDJ has above average defensive skills when he is in the position that he needs to be in. It's worth noting one of Fred's primary points in yesterday's post game presser. He commented on how the defense was more effective in the 2nd half because guys were committed to being in the right gaps, helping on the post at the right time, and closing out on shooters with a sense of urgency. Fred repeatedly talks about going with guys who have the hot hand. Evaluating the hot hand probably isn't just about putting the ball in the hoop. It's every bit as important to be successful at sharing the ball, rebounding, and executing defensive assignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron