BDJ: Hoiberg's Comments on him doing too much

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Anyone think BDJ looks bigger than a year ago (from the highlight tapes)?

He has the big shoulder build but still with long arms you at the next level a lot.

I'm most curious to see how he reacts in real dogfight games. Clyburn had incredible physical skills too and was a great player for us, but he was missing the nasty streak guys like Royce, Ejim, Hogue, Kane and Niang have had for us.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He has the big shoulder build but still with long arms you at the next level a lot.

I'm most curious to see how he reacts in real dogfight games. Clyburn had incredible physical skills too and was a great player for us, but he was missing the nasty streak guys like Royce, Ejim, Kane and Niang have had for us.

We were commenting during the game that BDJ seems to have the nasty streak.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Mostly, I just think you're a terrible poster and not necessarily a troll. So I guess I'm more of the ilk that we landed on the moon, but maybe the moon had something to do with the JFK assassination?

Oh here's another thread about BDJ... http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195719
I can't believe the Big12 gave him an award, since he didn't pass on a fast break.
You know newsmax is coming out with a JFK expose movie on Thursday?

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Newsmax-TV-I-Killed-JFK/2014/11/13/id/607211/

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I'm most curious to see how he reacts in real dogfight games. Clyburn had incredible physical skills too and was a great player for us, but he was missing the nasty streak guys like Royce, Ejim, Hogue, Kane and Niang have had for us.

Loved Clyburn, but you are right, he did lack that nasty streak intangible I would have loved to see in him. He definitely was more of a finesse player type. His body build was partially to blame.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
BDJ took 2, maybe 3 questionable shots vs Oakland. Given what else he brings to the table that's not bad. If he were to continue to shoot 46% the rest of the year I'd be pretty OK with that.
As long as he has a better 3pt% than his current season average.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
IMO, he much like Kane last season is going to have to make the adjustment that he doesn't always have to be THE guy. That's it. As for chucking up a few not so good shots................who doesn't do that a couple times a game? I remember back in the Mcdoormat days a Brackins 25 foot 360 fade away with one second left on the shot clock after blowing a 4 on 1 fast break so we could run play #324 was considered disciplined ball.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's a lot of rebounds. I have a feeling he's going to get some big ones for us this year, including on the offensive end of the floor.

Not to mention lighting a fire under Hogue. Eric was giving Dustin a bad time about getting badly out rebounded in the post game and it sounded like he took it kind of personally. Absolutely a good thing.

:smile:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
He looked like a better version of Chris Allen on Friday. He took a lot of poor shots and didn't get a hand in the face on defense. He'll certainly get better, but it's obvious at UNLV he did pretty much whatever he wanted.

I was thinking the exact same thing about him being a better version of Chris Allen.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Don't bang on BJD yet. Fred has to foster the take the team on my shoulders attitude and at the same time have BDJ realize when the right time to do it. There are going to be moments when the team is going to need that from BDJ, like Kane last year. He's just got to figure out when that moment is.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If Fred has proven anything, it is that he can get these guys to work through their issues. Frankly, of the "issues" our transfers have brought, I'm the least concerned about BDJ's. In fact, having someone like him who can take over a game is a great asset. Just knowing he can do it will cause defenses to have to play us differently. Once he gets fully in sync with our team (which doesn't even have everyone on the Hilton floor yet), he will make everyone else so much better. We are going to be able to do so much to make defense pay if they try to double-team. BDJ has spent three years having to carry UNLV. He is still getting used to being a "true team." I've got no worries about him . . . only for our opponents because of him!

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
BDJ took 2, maybe 3 questionable shots vs Oakland. Given what else he brings to the table that's not bad. If he were to continue to shoot 46% the rest of the year I'd be pretty OK with that.

2 or 3 sounds about right. Lots of possessions in Oakland game had one pass, then shot. It wasn't just BDJ doing questionable things. I thought it must have been because of the stress on pace.

What I was most impressed with BDJ about was his rebounding of long misses. Other ISU teams did not have the talent and length to get some of the rebounds he got.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
2 or 3 sounds about right. Lots of possessions in Oakland game had one pass, then shot. It wasn't just BDJ doing questionable things. I thought it must have been because of the stress on pace.

What I was most impressed with BDJ about was his rebounding of long misses. Other ISU teams did not have the talent and length to get some of the rebounds he got.

Fred mentioned that part of the reason for a lack of assists (by Hoiball standards, at least) was the belief that ISU could exploit some isolation mismatches. That being said, getting open looks at 3 in the transition game might have helped get the lid off of the basket. ISU couldn't buy a three early in the game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I posted this in the last game thread but if you want BDJ to maximize his potential then those kind of "bad shots" have to happen. It's how that type of player gets themselves going. Whether he needs to feel that ball go through the hoop or just needs to get his rocks off before he can settle down I don't know but it's just got to be that way. The trade off between one of those "bad shots" going in could be BDJ taking over a game and going off for 30+. If that happens everything else opens up even more for everyone else.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Just wait till you see how Coach Wooden uses this kid after December 20.

It'll blow your freaking mind.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
because it is kind of a ******* thing to post after 1 game when he he had 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Of of course he could have passed it more. Hopefully he'll learn but it isn't worth raising concern for a while.

seems like any of your criticisms would disappear if you would read my post. like I said, it's a good problem to have. a problem that CFH thought enough about to mention in a the post-game. in some of the nail-biter games in the big 12 it could be significant. I was just observing. Even if he does go hero ball from time to time no way we would ever bench BDJ because of how much he brings to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Bumpity bump bump. 15 pts, 7 rebs, 7 asts, 2 stls, 2 blks. Bryce doesn't do too much. But he does do everything.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron