BDJ: Hoiberg's Comments on him doing too much

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
All of you guys are right, I believe he will get better. For arguments sake let's say he gets worse and does even more of this in bigger games - then I believe we have enough talent on the team where Fred can bench him. If the rumors of Matt Thomas are true about how he has been lights out in all of our scrimmages and practices and that he has improved his foot speed dramatically on defense then I could see him taking that spot.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
As long as he can close the games by driving to the hoop or dishing to Niang....I'll take it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
All of you guys are right, I believe he will get better. For arguments sake let's say he gets worse and does even more of this in bigger games - then I believe we have enough talent on the team where Fred can bench him. If the rumors of Matt Thomas are true about how he has been lights out in all of our scrimmages and practices and that he has improved his foot speed dramatically on defense then I could see him taking that spot.
So far, he has shot better in practice.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
I can't help but wonder if the people who think I'm a troll are of the ilk that don't believe we landed on the moon. How would this post be trolling? please explain.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I can't help but wonder if the people who think I'm a troll are of the ilk that don't believe we landed on the moon. How would this post be trolling? please explain.

because it is kind of a ******* thing to post after 1 game when he he had 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Of of course he could have passed it more. Hopefully he'll learn but it isn't worth raising concern for a while.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
because it is kind of a ******* thing to post after 1 game when he he had 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Of of course he could have passed it more. Hopefully he'll learn but it isn't worth raising concern for a while.

I don't want him passing it more. He's a playmaker, that is why we got him to make plays. I don't think anyone would complain about a 5 assist/game average, I'd take that all year long.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't want him passing it more. He's a playmaker, that is why we got him to make plays. I don't think anyone would complain about a 5 assist/game average, I'd take that all year long.

he did take a couple of bad shots in the first half. But again it wasn't some huge deal.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Put yourself in BDJ's shoes, capacity crowd, that in itself likely was different for him, new fans to please, last year to prove something, trying to fit in with new team with the lights on, new coach, and not knowing your teammates as well as you will later in the year. I don't blame him for trying to do too much, and honestly if he truly had to not rely on having stuff drawn up for him and that is the result, just wait until Fred is calling plays for him, look out.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

Mostly, I just think you're a terrible poster and not necessarily a troll. So I guess I'm more of the ilk that we landed on the moon, but maybe the moon had something to do with the JFK assassination?

Oh here's another thread about BDJ... http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195719
I can't believe the Big12 gave him an award, since he didn't pass on a fast break.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The kid is a great talent and incredibly athletic, plus he makes his FTs. I am sure that Fred more than mentioned the need to not do too much to him several times in the last couple days. In that game it was no big deal, but there will come a game, maybe tonight, when failing to score on a couple possessions will make a difference.

A lot of fans from other teams think that CFH's teams just run up and down the floor and jack up the first decent shot they get. That is what UNLV did last year, so BDJ comes by it naturally. A year at ISU will do both the Cyclones and Jones a lot of good.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

tumblr_inline_mgxxwh3hOS1rx0oip.gif

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm not worried with BDJ at all right now. As far as I'm concerned, what I've seen so far good and bad out of BDJ after game one is nearly the exact same things I saw good and bad out of Kane this far into the season last year. Both were a little out-of-sync at times, but both showed some great noticeable potential after their first outings. Therefore, in my mind, they are even-steven right now and if they can somehow manage to stay even-steven throughout the entire year, we'll be in for a special player and a special season when all is said and done.

Last edited:

Dingus

May 23, 2013
BDJ took 2, maybe 3 questionable shots vs Oakland. Given what else he brings to the table that's not bad. If he were to continue to shoot 46% the rest of the year I'd be pretty OK with that.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013

20 pts, 9 rebs, 5 assists Did we watch the same game? I understand he wasn't perfect, but this statement is laughable.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not worried with BDJ at all right now. As fare as I'm concerened, what I've seen so far good and bad out of BDJ after game one is nearly the exact same things I saw good and bad out of Kane this far into the season last year. Both were a little out-of-sync at times, but both showed some great noticeable potential after their first outings. Therefore, in my mind, they are even-steven right now and if they can somehow manage to stay even-steven throughout the entire year, we'll be in for a special player and a special season when all is said and done.

Agreed. Kane at this time of the year had stuff to work on to be all he could be in Fred's system. I don't think it is calling BDJ a bad player or anything else to say that there are ways he could improve his game. Passing on a good shot and making the pass to get a great shot is one of the main things Hoiball is all about. I still believe that passing up a triple team in the paint transition opportunity (where the three defenders have solid defending position) for a wide open 3 is passing up an okay shot for a great shot.

I am glad we have Bryce this year. He will learn to trust his teammates more which will open more up for him in the long run. I don't blame him one bit coming from what he came from last year.

dfitzy10

Aug 31, 2014
we put up 93 points playing decent basketball with lousy defense. we also only made 7 threes, quit nit-picking on BDJ because he will probably lead the big 12 in steals by the end of the season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I scratch my head when people compared him to Chris Allen. Allen was a good pickup and ended up helping a lot, but just through two games it's incredibly obvious BDJ has all sorts of tools Allen didn't have.

Sky is the limit for BDJ this year, he'll be the most gifted player in terms of build and athleticism in most games we play this year.

I think he's looking amazing considering he's just getting started. Not to mention that he's the only guy getting heavy minutes who wasn't already playing with the team last year (McKay at least practiced with them). In the Royce year and the Clyburn/Luscious/Allen year we had very little continuity, then last year it started really coming together as a long term personnel strategy.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I scratch my head when people compared him to Chris Allen. Allen was a good pickup and ended up helping a lot, but just through two games it's incredibly obvious BDJ has all sorts of tools Allen didn't have.

Sky is the limit for BDJ this year, he'll be the most gifted player in terms of build and athleticism in most games we play this year.

I think he's looking amazing considering he's just getting started. Not to mention that he's the only guy getting heavy minutes who wasn't already playing with the team last year (McKay at least practiced with them). In the Royce year and the Clyburn/Luscious/Allen year we had very little continuity, then last year it started really coming together as a long term personnel strategy.

Picking nits, Allen played with Royce and not Clyburn and Luscious.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron