BB in the Armory

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Out of boredom I checked in on the "Campus Life" forum to see what might be happening. They are talking about tearing down the Armory. Guess I presumed it had fallen down decades ago. Anyone else around who attended BB games there? You think Hilton is loud. The noise created when everyone in the upper levels started stomping on the steal plate flooring was incredible. It only held 6 or 7 thousand, but the noise was confined and it really got loud. Also remember the fridgid walk back across the old "drill field" to my room in Westgate.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Re: BB in th Armory

Anyone with old editions of the "Bomb" and a scan capability should be able to come up with several good pictures. The 58 Bomb has pictures of John Crawford and Wilt on the floor in the Armory. Am going to get my taxes done tomorrow. Depending on how I make out, I may upgrade and will then be able to scan in some of my late 50s-early 60s pictures.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

I would LOVE to see pictures of games in the Armory.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007

If you're near campus, the walls of the staircases in State Gym have old pictures of events in Beyer, State, and the Armory. Some are "real" games I believe but most are things like the intramural championships from the early-mid 1900s

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

The other day Ohio St. played in their old gym due to a Springsteen concert. I thought it would be cool to see one game in the armory.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

I've always found this stuff sort of interesting. I've spent many hours searching through pictures/videos of Iowa basketball games at the Fieldhouse, and I did run across something on ISU in the Armory.

It's amazing the history that can be found in some of these run-down old buildings. it would be a shame if they tear down the Armory.

gocy1

Jun 30, 2006

Pretty sure the noise from the Armory cost me some hearing in my later years! Loudest I ever heard the place was a wrestling meet between Ok St and ISU--ended in a 12/12 tie (8 wrestlers/team). Twas a blast!!! Top wrestlers from that meet for ISU were the "pin twins": Gordon Hassman and Tom Peckham. Yep, a lot of memories came out of that building!

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI

Pretty sure the noise from the Armory cost me some hearing in my later years! Loudest I ever heard the place was a wrestling meet between Ok St and ISU--ended in a 12/12 tie (8 wrestlers/team). Twas a blast!!! Top wrestlers from that meet for ISU were the "pin twins": Gordon Hassman and Tom Peckham. Yep, a lot of memories came out of that building!

Yes, I was at that meet. Hassman was supposedly riding (I can't recall his name) but was nearly reversed and in jeopardy of being pinned. Hassman had (I still can't remember his name)'s ankle so no reversal points were awarded but Hassman's shoulders were near the mat. The ref was watching for the pin and, due to the tremendous noise, could not hear the buzzer go off. The timekeepers threw a towel but missed the ref and he didn't see it so the action continued. Another towel missed and finally someone had to walk out on the map and nudge the ref to let him know that time had expired. They must have wrestled an extra 15 to 20 seconds.

Yes, that was LOUD!!!! :yes:

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN

even walking through the armory today, one can quickly imagine how cool it would have been to watch an event there

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

I would hate to see them tear down the armory. What are they using it for these days. In my day they had a lot of ROTC activities and also the University Rec Services in there.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I wonder what they would do with all the design students and ROTC programs if they tore it down. I would hate to see it go - one of the better years of my life (the year I spent as a pre-arch major) was spent in the armory - better than any class at the College of Design building :yes:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I will chain myself to the armory. They better now tear it down. I spent many a day there.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Back in the days when ROTC was mandatory for all freshman and sophmore men, the ROTC classes for Army and Air Force were held in the Armory. Drill was held on the field west of the armory. This field extended to the west edge of the campus and south to the east/west street that goes out the west gate. I suspect the Armory was built primarily to support the ROTC program - part of the Morrill Act requirements for Land Grant schools. Many activities took place there - concerts, graduation, etc. Lots of memories involving the Armory.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Sounds like the Armory would have been a good place to watch sporting events. I am far to young to have been around for those. My dad wrestled at the HS state meet when it was there for 1 year I believe.

Unfortunately for me my armory experiences are bad as they have always been in dealing with DPS.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I've always thought it'd be awesome to have a "throwback" game at the Armory. I'm sure it wouldn't work because of legal codes and such but if they're going to tear it down maybe they could work something out. It is a cool building if you picture watching a game in there.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
I think we should play a non-conference game in there before it goes down. I know it would be impossible to do but I always wondered what a game there would be like.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron