Basketball Facility Video

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Oh my God. Did I accidentally go to Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.com? And viewing something through video never yields true colors.

Design is my profession...thank you very much...and as a professional looking at that video, those graphics look horrendous. You can tell the colors comparatively from the other colors shown...those are not even close to correct. Also, I am guessing they are similar to the new feature walls on the north entrance of Jack Trice...which are also horrendous. Details are important, and these do not bode well for the image of our athletics.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Wow....I knew it would be a nice facility but I am very very impressed with this building. That shoud definitely help sell the program to prospects.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Design is my profession...thank you very much...and as a professional looking at that video, those graphics look horrendous. You can tell the colors comparatively from the other colors shown...those are not even close to correct. Also, I am guessing they are similar to the new feature walls on the north entrance of Jack Trice...which are also horrendous. Details are important, and these do not bode well for the image of our athletics.
I'm a recruit on a visit...explain to me how much I care about how they look? Exactly 0. These have absolutely 0 to do with the image of our athletics.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm a recruit on a visit...explain to me how much I care about how they look? Exactly 0. These have absolutely 0 to do with the image of our athletics.

IF U R A RECROOT ON A VIZIT, OUR RECRUITING HAS STOOPED TO AN ALL-TIME LOW. WE WILL NEVER SEE PRIDE IN CYCLONE ATHLETICS AGAIN IF WE'RE RECRUITING CURRENT STUDENTS TO WALK ON!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the opportunity on that one.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
IF U R A RECROOT ON A VIZIT, OUR RECRUITING HAS STOOPED TO AN ALL-TIME LOW. WE WILL NEVER SEE PRIDE IN CYCLONE ATHLETICS AGAIN IF WE'RE RECRUITING CURRENT STUDENTS TO WALK ON!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the opportunity on that one.
I know how to wrap up when I tackle at least. :wideeyed: I can make a layup too....occasionally. :wideyed:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Very nice.

Anyone know why they have that row of small TVs with a bunch of Directv DVRs in the area with some of the workers there? Is it their job to find game tape, or do they just want to keep up with Oprah?

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Awesome building. Love it. I'm sure the players are excited.

Also, some of you are being tools. The colors/graphics complaints...seriously? This is a basketball facility, not a museum or some trendy nightclub where you limp wrists go to sip cosmos.

Again, this facility is an awesome accomplishment for our program.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Hey, it is a good space, I said that first. It is important to at least have that in place for our program. Not complaining about that whatsoever. In fact, it is absolutely great that we have this large dedicated space...I'm excited.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I think it has a huge impact. Why would they even go to the trouble of doing it if it didn't matter? Why not leave the wall white, or better yet, just leave it as unfinished gyp board...why spend the money to finish it out? Whether you like it or not, people at least subconsciously care about the quality of space that they are in, and these were put in place to "improve" the quality...which in my opinion, they are not doing because they look hacked.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I think it has a huge impact. Why would they even go to the trouble of doing it if it didn't matter? Why not leave the wall white, or better yet, just leave it as unfinished gyp board...why spend the money to finish it out? Whether you like it or not, people at least subconsciously care about the quality of space that they are in, and these were put in place to "improve" the quality...which in my opinion, they are not doing because they looked hacked.
Are you serious? I'm bringing in a 17-18 year old recruit into a brand new facility. When they walk into said facility, they are NOT saying, "like, oh my gosh! Those reds aren't right! They look like complete hack jobs!" I'm fairly sure 99.9% of kids that age are going to say "hey, those look pretty damn cool!" People do care, heck, I show it in my office with posters hanging everywhere, but you're seriously saying a white wall is better than what's present? The purpose of them is to add life to what otherwise would be a big boring white wall. They more than accomplish that.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
I didn't notice anything out of whack, so I'm guessing neither will any recruits who haven't been life long Cyclone fans.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Are you serious? I'm bringing in a 17-18 year old recruit into a brand new facility. When they walk into said facility, they are NOT saying, "like, oh my gosh! Those reds aren't right! They look like complete hack jobs!" I'm fairly sure 99.9% of kids that age are going to say "hey, those look pretty damn cool!" People do care, heck, I show it in my office with posters hanging everywhere, but you're seriously saying a white wall is better than what's present? The purpose of them is to add life to what otherwise would be a big boring white wall. They more than accomplish that.

Jeez man...my point was that design/graphics matters at least somewhat, because people would not be impressed with just a white wall or unfinished gyp. Never did I say that I wished it was a white wall.

Also, didn't say that it is the first thing recruits are going to look at...probably won't even notice unless they are interested in design. I was skeptical about it because it wouldn't have been hard to make it NOT look like Minnesota in there...just shows a lack of care in the detail.

Again, agree to disagree. Obviously you don't understand my points...but I don't go around criticizing your knowledge in your profession.

I'm done with this topic. Dumb argument from stubborn people.

Great facility...glad we have it, and we have it so quickly. Very excited for our basketball players/coaches to move in and finally have a spacious dedicated building for the development of the program. Hopefully it wins over some of those recruits that were on the fence.

Reactions: JP4CY

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I think no one other than a design professional could possibly notice that. Personally, I thought it looked great from what I saw on the video. From the responses of others here, it seems like they also thought it looks great. I understand that you have a more trained eye than the average joe so you can pick out those types of things. Just the same way that as an employee of an electric utility, I notice powerlines all the time and make comments on them, you are making comments on this color scheme. No one else cares if that line going along the street is a 69 kV transmission circuit or a fiber optics communication line. In fact, no one else notices the difference, even though there really is a significant visible difference.

In the same way, no one else cares if the colors are not blended properly (in your opinion). Also, art is not something that can be objectively judged. You dislike the look, I think it's a good look. Just like some people may prefer Kinnick Stadium's brick look to Jack Trice's concrete look. I definitely prefer the clean and powerful look that concrete gives. You might say it's not matching with the natural grass surroundings or something, and you would probably be right. I still like it though.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I think no one other than a design professional could possibly notice that. Personally, I thought it looked great from what I saw on the video. From the responses of others here, it seems like they also thought it looks great. I understand that you have a more trained eye than the average joe so you can pick out those types of things. Just the same way that as an employee of an electric utility, I notice powerlines all the time and make comments on them, you are making comments on this color scheme. No one else cares if that line going along the street is a 69 kV transmission circuit or a fiber optics communication line. In fact, no one else notices the difference, even though there really is a significant visible difference.

In the same way, no one else cares if the colors are not blended properly (in your opinion). Also, art is not something that can be objectively judged. You dislike the look, I think it's a good look. Just like some people may prefer Kinnick Stadium's brick look to Jack Trice's concrete look. I definitely prefer the clean and powerful look that concrete gives. You might say it's not matching with the natural grass surroundings or something, and you would probably be right. I still like it though.

Thanks for the sensible response. I was just posting my opinion (this is a message board after all) about the feel of the space. I guess, like it or not, we are all affected by the space we are in, that was my point. Perhaps if my space was surrounded by power lines, I would have an opinion about them since they affect my space that I inhabit (and not necessarily the aesthetics of them). The reason for my post was that I don't see why we have to live with these colors that make us look like Minnesota. It bothers me that a detail as simple as that is overlooked in such a large way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron