• No, the game is supposed to slow paced

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • Yes, it's too slow

Votes: 39 51.3%

• Total voters

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
or preseason football starts when baseball ends?

I like this idea better. I hate seeing non-stop NFL coverage a full month before the ******* season even begins. Does anyone really give a **** how many yards Eli Manning threw for in some meaningless preseason game?

I also don't understand how shortening a season does anything to speed up the pace of the game.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would be somewhat okay with forcing batters/pitchers to operate within a certain amount of time between pitches, but that's not the same as saying a game can't take more than X-hour:minute.

honestly just make shorter seasons, baseball should end when preseason football starts

Both of these. Make batters and pitchers play instead of fixing everything, and go back to 144(?) game seasons so they actually end in September/early October.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I like this idea better. I hate seeing non-stop NFL coverage a full month before the ******* season even begins. Does anyone really give a **** how many yards Eli Manning threw for in some meaningless preseason game?

I also don't understand how shortening a season does anything to speed up the pace of the game.

Like BU said earlier in the thread, you really want NFL football PRESEASON starting in November?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
1. Just make in between innings no more than 1 minute long.

2. You can't make a game 6 or 7 innings. It would completely change the complexion of the game. You would only need a 4 man pitching rotation, meaning less pitchers. The closer role would become much less significant, you would just need 2 or 3 good relievers. And complete game shutouts would be too common.

There's no need to speed up the game. It's supposed to be relaxing.

There's no way this will ever happen. Baseball makes so much money because it's easily the best sport for advertisers in terms of ad space. Why limit yourself to one minute of ad revenue between every half inning, when you can just keep what you're doing now? Doing so would cut maybe 30 minutes or so off of total game time, which isn't going to be enough to satisfy most of the people who think the game takes too long, anyway.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Like BU said earlier in the thread, you really want NFL football PRESEASON starting in November?

Fine by me. The NFL is a greedy son of a ***** that's already pushed the Super Bowl into February, is trying to stretch its games out to almost every day of the week, and will likely have expanded playoffs after this year. Cut the pointless preseason down to two games instead of four and it would be a lot more flexible (though yeah, November is a little late).

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323740804578597932341903720

The "time between innings" averaged 42:41. This is time to watch the scoreboard, watch the silly on-field contest (particularly at minor league parks), visit the refreshment stand or the bathroom, or both. On TV this is simply commercial time.
By far the most time-consuming period of inaction is the "time between pitches." This took up an average of 1:14:49. That's not all that far from half the WSJ analysis's average game time of 2:58. Technically, the time between pitches begins when the pitch to the batter who saw the last pitch concludes—either when the catcher catches the ball or it is fouled off—and ends when the pitcher begins his next pitch. So it includes the unstrapping and re-strapping the batting gloves, sleeve adjusting, helmet adjusting, practice swings, plus the pitcher doing whatever it is he does as well.

42 minutes of commercials and an hour and fifteen minutes of nothing happening between pitches.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323740804578597932341903720

42 minutes of commercials and an hour and fifteen minutes of nothing happening between pitches.
I'm guessing you could say the same for football. 35 seconds of play clock for a 6 second play.

Baseball they're getting signs from the third base coach. Football they're staring at the sidelines waiting for the play to come in.

Both are ridiculous on commercials.

Football tends to have a couple injury timeouts per game. Baseball has pitching changes probably a little more.

Baseball and football are probably the worst sports out there. Hockey tends to be pretty fast paced. Basketball tends to have a pretty good pace. Soccer is hard to analyze.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Oh yeah because I forgot we were arguing about ratings? I'm saying that statistically there is more actual gameplay in baseball compared to football.

So the baseball haters out there that complain that there isn't enough action and that the players mostly just stand around really see less action in more time in football. Some people don't like to watch baseball, I understand that. I grew up watching the sport and I love it so I find it ironic when the baseball haters complain about it

You act like this is new information. Football is enjoyable to watch and the mere idea of cutting back on football games because it has less action than baseball is a dumb one.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
You act like this is new information. Football is enjoyable to watch and the mere idea of cutting back on football games because it has less action than baseball is a dumb one.

And I also find baseball enjoyable to watch. All a matter of opinion

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Football is verging on unwatchable unless it's an important game or a team I follow. 3 hours is just a big chunk of time to commit to when you look at how much action there actually is.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I hate the NFL it has gotten boring, same with NBA. I love watching college football and basketball.

I can agree with this. The only reason I somewhat pay attention to NFL anymore is because of fantasy

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Why does baseball need to be faster?

Baseball is darn near a perfect game as it stands, but I would like a pitch clock put in place. There's no reason a game should last four hours. That's the beauty of college basketball in my opinion. You know if you sit down to watch you'll be done in about two hours with tv timeouts and everything.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I don't accept the premise of your poll choices.

I think the pace of the game should be increased, but I don't think you need a clock to do it. Rules already exist that put
limits on time between pitches, and make it illegal to step out of the box unless you took a swing at the previous pitch. If MLB told the umps to enforce those rules, you wouldn't have anymore 4-hour Red Sox-Yankee games. (I swear, the Red Sox are the worst at wasting tremendous amounts of time between pitches.)

Just look at a game from the 1970s or 1980s on ESPN Classic sometime. The pace of those games is phenomenal compared to today - and those games were obviously televised, too, so you had the same issues of ads between innings. Pitchers took the sign and threw the ball; batters stayed in the box. We could still do that today, if the umps simply enforced the rules that exist.

As a youth baseball umpire, there's little worse than having a team of 12-year-old "superstars" who think acting like the knuckleheads they see on TV is cool. Take a ball; step out of the box; check for the sign from your coach; rearrange your batting gloves; take a couple of swings; start to dig in while you're holding up your hand expecting me to hold up the pitcher; take a couple more swings. I tell 'em to stay in the box, or I will let the pitcher throw anyway (I know I'm supposed to assess a strike instead, but this is more fun).