Bandit Burrito in Johnston...

clonzst

Apr 13, 2006
Cum & Go sucks, they are the first to raise gas prices and the last to decrease! Besides why would you give your money to a Hawk.

I even have my boy saying Casey's rules and Cum & Go sucks!

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
For what it's worth, the principal at my consulting firm is part of an LLC that owns a couple of the Panchero's restaurants, namely the one in Coralville and I think one other. The owner is an ISU grad and fan (mechanical engineer), and so is her husband (architect)!

I know they are close with the founder of Panchero's; you can't say all the owners are Hawk fans!

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
Love bandit...way better than pancheros...always thought pancheros was the best until i tried bandit! the selection of things you can put in the burrito and the choice of tortilla is way better.

Iowa65

Dec 7, 2008
Ames, Iowa
The pancheros in Ames has been skimping on the food lately. I had to tell the guy to keep dumping on RICE for god's sake the last time I was there. I go there because it's close, but Flying Burrito delivers the most food for the dollar. I think either place serves equally unhealthy crap. But I'm too lazy to make anything at home.

I still eat at flying burrito even though I don't like matthew goodman's opinion on matters related to the city of Ames.

It's food, and if I'm trolling for a burrito, I'm pretty damn hungry. Whatever side of town I'm on gets my business. Actually if I end up at flying burrito, it's because chinese homestyle cooking is closed.

I vaguely remember the Pancheros that was on Welch Ave. in Ames when I was in college. The present day pancheros seems to be a copy of Chipotle. I like the ambiance of Flying Burrito with it's rusty metal and WWII military style interior.

We joke that we're going to buy a 'food baby' since you get a distended gut after eating at FB if you throw in a rice crispie treat and a drink.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
If I may dredge up an old thread... I finally went to Bandit for the first time today and it was awesome! I will have to go there many times to try all the different tortillas and hot sauces. I never thought I would say this about queso dip, but it left a lot to be desired and I probably won't order it again. It was a little bland... but the burrito itself more than made up for it!

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Flying Burrito will always be #1 in my heart. There are lots of haters out there who claim pancheros/chipotle are better, but I will have to disagree. I used to be a Chipotle junkie when I lived in Ohio, but FB is wayyyy better.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If I had to rank burrito places in Iowa, it would go:
1) Bandit
2) Flying ('er, Fighting)
3) Pablo's (in Cedar Falls)
4) Chipotle
5) Panchero's.

It isn't that Panchero's is awful, or that it's run by Hawk fans, it just tastes more like fast food, imo. More processed ingredients, and just a generally less fresh taste. And it's the most expensive, and has a lot less options. More expensive + less fresh - options = least favorite burrito.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
If I had to rank burrito places in Iowa, it would go:
1) Bandit
2) Flying ('er, Fighting)
3) Pablo's (in Cedar Falls)
4) Chipotle
5) Panchero's.

It isn't that Panchero's is awful, or that it's run by Hawk fans, it just tastes more like fast food, imo. More processed ingredients, and just a generally less fresh taste. And it's the most expensive, and has a lot less options. More expensive + less fresh - options = least favorite burrito.

This man (term used loosely) is correct. Bandit Burrito is a weekly stop for dosry5 household....

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This man (term used loosely) is correct. Bandit Burrito is a weekly stop for dosry5 household....

I just wish it wasn't all the way over in Johnston. It is the only reason I have to go there. If they had a location in WDM/Clive, it would be a bi-weekly stop.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Personally, I think the 7800 + block of Northwest Avenue in Chicago has about 100 Mexican restaurants that would make those stupid white bread midwestern dork fake Mexican restaurants look like McDonald's.

Personally, I just can't dig a thread arguing about which phoney, catering to white upper middle class midwestern, no taste, wannabe mexican mega-chain restaurant turns out the best burrito. Not even a little.

Now show me a good goat burrito, or something with lung meat and we might be talking...

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Personally, I think the 7800 + block of Northwest Avenue in Chicago has about 100 Mexican restaurants that would make those stupid white bread midwestern dork fake Mexican restaurants look like McDonald's.

Personally, I just can't dig a thread arguing about which phoney, catering to white upper middle class midwestern, no taste, wannabe mexican mega-chain restaurant turns out the best burrito. Not even a little.

Now show me a good goat burrito, or something with lung meat and we might be talking...

This is posing. This is saying "look at me, look at me". 1st off, Bandit is not a mega chain. It's all of......1 restaurant. 2nd, who cares if it is part of a chain? If I like Chipolte Grill's burritos, who cares? I just don't get why some people always feel the need to tell you that places like El Rodeo or Pancheros aren't really Mexican food. WTF? I like it, I'm gonna eat it. Guess what? I've had goat. Meh. I'll take a burrito from Bandit any day of the week. P.S., I'm white, middle class, and midwestern. And....wait for it............proud of it! YES--it's OK to be white and middle class, and living in the midwest!!!

Reactions: CycloneErik

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Ok, well, I was in Chicago last summer, and told a local to show me a better burrito than I could get in Central Iowa, fully expecting to find one that KILLED what we get here. I got a cow-tongue burrito about 3 blocks from Wrigley. It was ok, but not better than Flying or Bandit. The next night I had a goat burrito a few blocks in the other direction. Again, it was ok, but not great. The reason? Outside of the meat, which was fantastic, the vegetables weren't as fresh, they used refried beans rather than black beans, and the tortillas were weak. Just because a burrito isn't made by Mexicans in a large city doesn't mean it sucks.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

A burrito snob?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Just got back from Bandit Burrito. I met Rob, the owner and he was a super nice guy. I chatted with him about Flying Burrito and Cyclone Fanatic and he mentioned the good burrito discussion over here!

Just wanted to give another strong recommendation for any DSM Cyclones to give this place a try if you haven't already!

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Just got back from Bandit Burrito. I met Rob, the owner and he was a super nice guy. I chatted with him about Flying Burrito and Cyclone Fanatic and he mentioned the good burrito discussion over here!

Just wanted to give another strong recommendation for any DSM Cyclones to give this place a try if you haven't already!

Hit this place up once a week. Best burritos in the metro.