Bald eagles by the Saylorville bridge.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Any bird enthusiasts notice how many there are over there? Or have a clue as to why they like to hang out on the ice near the bridge all day long? I see them nearly everyday and curiosity is getting the best of me.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The Des Moines River this time of year opens up and the eagles have some chow to catch!!

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I saw two today while driving across the mile long bridge just standing on the ice hangin' out. Also saw three in a corn field last week about 40 yards off the highway south of Ames. It was about a mile from the Skunk river.

It's quite impressive to see them on a regular basis again. They're fun to watch, although I sometimes fear for the pets. :smile:

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
After ice out there is a lot of dead gizzard shad that didn't make it through the winter. Free and easy meals.

S

st8

After ice out there is a lot of dead gizzard shad that didn't make it through the winter. Free and easy meals.

this, and all the people that fish below the spillway tend to throw carp and other garbage fish up on shore. easy pickens for the eagles! they have made an enormous come back in this area and they are a pretty awesome bird to watch. I think that it is crazy to think now for people who frequent Iowa's major lakes and waterways that seeing a bald eagle has become the norm, where as only a decade or so ago it was pretty rare

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Any bird enthusiasts notice how many there are over there? Or have a clue as to why they like to hang out on the ice near the bridge all day long? I see them nearly everyday and curiosity is getting the best of me.

We drive the bridge twice every day and enjoy seeing them. I can't believe how many of them there have been on a couple occasions. On Friday morning we counted 6 we could see clearly from the bridge.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Eagles have a made a huge comeback to Iowa. The area I deer hunt near Marshalltown has 8 of them living along the river.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
I saw two today while driving across the mile long bridge just standing on the ice hangin' out. Also saw three in a corn field last week about 40 yards off the highway south of Ames. It was about a mile from the Skunk river.

It's quite impressive to see them on a regular basis again. They're fun to watch, although I sometimes fear for the pets. :smile:

I saw one by the Skunk River on 30 by Ames last week as well. Very Small, probably just into adult plumage. I run my dog by Saylorville and see them fairly regular.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron