Bad News Bears Kickers

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just saw a lady kicking some 55 yarders at the Eagles camp and thought I saw something the other day about a woman doing something with the Bears?

upload_2019-8-21_21-12-12.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: GT25Ump

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My bet is the bears will pick up a veteran kicker off the waiver wire when final cuts are made. I'd be very surprised if the current guy is their opening game kicker.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Yikes, Chicago. Bears can't get out of their own way when it comes to placekickers. Jamie Kohl not portrayed well in this article, either, unfortunately. He seems well respected in the kicking realm, but not in this instance. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27434075/nagy-defends-bears-kicker-search-amid-backlash
'Whining' as the candidates did, shows a weak character. If you can't handle the pressure, you'll more likely fail at the kick. And leave it to the media to 'sensationalize' in a pampering manner to garner clicks.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The SI piece that is the source for ESPN's article is an...interesting...read.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/21/c...ssion-cody-parkey-miss-matt-nagy-eddy-pineiro

It makes Nagy look batshit crazy and obsessed. Those competition charts are loony. Either the ball goes in or it doesn't. I understand wanting to find a reliable kicker. What I don't understand is harping on the specifics of Parkey's miss and just re-living it over and over in practice simulations. All you're doing to your team is dredging up memories of a tough loss. How is it helping anyone? The kicker spot in Chicago is going to be a storyline all season and that's going to be mostly Nagy's fault due to his inability to move on. Like Pineiro or whoever they settle on could be perfect on all his attempts all regular season and all anyone is going to say is "Yeah, but will he make it when it counts?"

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It makes Nagy look batshit crazy and obsessed. Those competition charts are loony. Either the ball goes in or it doesn't. I understand wanting to find a reliable kicker. What I don't understand is harping on the specifics of Parkey's miss and just re-living it over and over in practice simulations. All you're doing to your team is dredging up memories of a tough loss. How is it helping anyone? The kicker spot in Chicago is going to be a storyline all season and that's going to be mostly Nagy's fault due to his inability to move on. Like Pineiro or whoever they settle on could be perfect on all his attempts all regular season and all anyone is going to say is "Yeah, but will he make it when it counts?"
I disagree. For example, if a kicker is taking too long to execute the kick from snap to contact or has too low of a trajectory it can result in more blocked kicks over time. Those are some other factors that are relevant.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I disagree. For example, if a kicker is taking too long to execute the kick from snap to contact or has too low of a trajectory it can result in more blocked kicks over time. Those are some other factors that are relevant.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Fair enough. At any rate I don't see the sense in posting the scorecards or results or whatever they were for the whole team to see, especially without offering some explanation of how those scores were achieved. Just the whole process of how he's gone about holding the position battle is bizarre and unnecessarily complicated.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fair enough. At any rate I don't see the sense in posting the scorecards or results or whatever they were for the whole team to see, especially without offering some explanation of how those scores were achieved. Just the whole process of how he's gone about holding the position battle is bizarre and unnecessarily complicated.
Again, I agree. Perhaps they are trying to replicate getting roasted in the press after a bad game or something but it seems counter productive.