As a fan this is what I want to see from the offense...

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
We had a great year last year after a first game let down...I'm confidant we'll have a great season this year as well but as a fan I'd like to see the offense do some different things to reduce the predictability of our offense...

*More up tempo/no huddle...Mix it up and don't let the D get set - keep 'em guessing
*Misdirection, bootlegs/rollouts and an occasional screen play and more running when available from Purdy
*Less conservative/vanilla play calling
*More passes in the 5-15 yd range in the middle - not everything an out route to the sideline
*An actual punt return or a legitimate attempt to rush the punter
*A dual scheme with Dekkers and Purdy splitting playing time 3-1 in favor of Purdy - make the defense prepare for both and give Dekkers some valuable game time.
*A team prepared on game 1 to come out and put the wood to the competition and "make plays" as CMC said.

This is an exceptionally talented offensive unit with a championship quality defense - I have no doubt they will throttle UNLV and will come together to have a great season but to get to that next level I think there obviously needs to be a few offensive tweaks and a hair-on-fire mentality from our players.

Edit: Also I miss Jay Jordan's video/game anlaysis.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I just want us to play faster and to our strengths, keeping Brock in the pocket all day just isn't what he's suited for, he puts pressure on the defense moving out of the pocket. If he's too dinged up for that, he needs to sit until he is ready. Run something with Breece that gets him on the edge and forces DBs to tackle him.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I don't remember if it was on Meyer and Blythe or on Williams and Blum, but they mentioned that in previous years the natural grass worked as an advantage for ISU because it worked as a bit of an equalizer when faster, more talented teams came to Jack Trice. But Campbell is not a big fan of it now that ISU is more talented than many teams on it's schedule, and it is perhaps a competitive disadvantage for the cyclones.

I'm looking at our offensive philosophy in the same way. Playing Snyder/Ferentz style ball works to equalize the playing field a bit when you're playing against a faster or better equipped team, but now that ISU is the faster and better equipped team verses several of it's opponents, it seems like perhaps it's working against us to want to keep the tempo slow and keep scores in the teens and twenties. I'd like to see us speed up the tempo, let the horses loose, and see what happens. The defense is good enough that I'm not concerned at all about "well our TOP will go down so they'll be on the field longer". They're already on the field more than they should be because our offense can't sustain drives. Our defense is good enough that our offense should be trying to maximize points, not just play preventative tempo/minimize possessions.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
We had a great year last year after a first game let down...I'm confidant we'll have a great season this year as well but as a fan I'd like to see the offense do some different things to reduce the predictability of our offense...

*More up tempo/no huddle...Mix it up and don't let the D get set - keep 'em guessing
*Misdirection, bootlegs/rollouts and an occasional screen play and more running when available from Purdy
*More passes in the 5-15 yd range in the middle - not everything an out route to the sideline
*A dual scheme with Dekkers and Purdy splitting playing time 3-1 in favor of Purdy - make the defense prepare for both and give Dekkers some valuable game time.
*A team prepared on game 1 to come out and put the wood to the competition and "make plays" as CMC said.

This is an exceptionally talented offensive unit with a championship quality defense - I have no doubt they will throttle UNLV and will come together to have a great season but to get to that next level I think there obviously needs to be a few offensive tweaks and a hair-on-fire mentality from our players.

The only 3:1 split Dekkers is going to get is the fourth quarter when up by 45.
He is not playing regular snaps.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't remember if it was on Meyer and Blythe or on Williams and Blum, but they mentioned that in previous years the natural grass worked as an advantage for ISU because it worked as a bit of an equalizer when faster, more talented teams came to Jack Trice. But Campbell is not a big fan of it now that ISU is more talented than many teams on it's schedule, and it is perhaps a competitive disadvantage for the cyclones.

I'm looking at our offensive philosophy in the same way. Playing Snyder/Ferentz style ball works to equalize the playing field a bit when you're playing against a faster or better equipped team, but now that ISU is the faster and better equipped team verses several of it's opponents, it seems like perhaps it's working against us to want to keep the tempo slow and keep scores in the teens and twenties. I'd like to see us speed up the tempo, let the horses loose, and see what happens. The defense is good enough that I'm not concerned at all about "well our TOP will go down so they'll be on the field longer". They're already on the field more than they should be because our offense can't sustain drives. Our defense is good enough that our offense should be trying to maximize points, not just play preventative tempo/minimize possessions.

I'll try this again: ISU doesn't have the personnel to run fast tempo. They don't have the receivers or the line. They're not built for it and you're likely just looking at more stalled drives.

Rhythm imo is the biggest issue and that requires complimentary football no matter the scheme.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Totally with you on the first four. I think that will sort out most issues that we have (along with just simply executing better). Seems like we passed over the middle a ton last year, so maybe the first two defenses adjusted to make that harder?

Reactions: khardbored

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would like to see our OL dominate. If the OL is able to sustain blocks then all will be good with Brock & Breece.

I am also looking for more deep passes and patterns across the middle where a broken tackle can create a big play.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Can anyone link Purdy's best throw as a Cyclone?

Was it over 35 yards in the air? Did he lead the receiver or underthrow them?

My point is that Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and other greats could hardly throw the ball their last few season but were excellent at anticipation. Purdy cannot do that. So we need to let him play backyard ball and be a playmaker. A very rich mans version of Will McElvain (UNI QB). Or we run the Sam Ehlinger Collin Klein offense and purposefully use Brocks legs

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa

My point is that Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and other greats could hardly throw the ball their last few season but were excellent at anticipation. Purdy cannot do that. So we need to let him play backyard ball and be a playmaker. A very rich mans version of Will McElvain (UNI QB). Or we run the Sam Ehlinger Collin Klein offense and purposefully use Brocks legs
This right here. I love Brock, and appreciate what he has done for ISU, but we might be in the same situation that saw him seeing the field.

If he is no threat over 30 yards, then man does that change how you can call a defense against Hall and our TE's. And that is probably what we are seeing, after competent staffs had a year to gameplan against ISU. Another poor showing and maybe people will understand why arm strength has value only slightly behind accuracy.

safmusic

May 30, 2006
why offensive line not blowing people out after this great year of strength and size increase and another year of instruction. Why taking backseat to what defense gives us and not be more offensive? Just questions for offensive coordinator. He says still learning and working, which they should be, but sort of sounds like just starting over with freshmen again. Are they not trying to win the game??

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

A lot of good ones in here.

The first clip

2:19

3:23

3:49 (a little underthrown, but off his back foot and about 43 yards in the air)

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I want to see "something" from the offense. I'm speaking in the greater, collective version of the word! :jimlad:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron