Arnaud - Simplify

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
When Iowa was calling out their starting QB, was he throwing 50%?

Does it matter? If the coaches who watch them every snap of every day don't think Tiller is better than AA, why would they risk making our offense worse by putting him in there?

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I can tell you almost 100% sure there have not been a lot of checks from Pass plays to running plays because every time they come to the line of scrimmage they see 8-9 in the box.....if were checkin to running plays were in worse shape then i thought....

Great if there are 8-9 in the box why are we running it everytime! :confused:

gmckern

Oct 23, 2006
what do you do when your quarterback isn't playing that great but he is still better than your back-up? Keep him as the starter. We all want the magic wand to appear and fix this but if you don't have the guy, you don't have him. You could put in the backup and WORSEN the situation and then listen to all you idiots ***** and moan about how we lost by 35 and had 7 turnovers against Baylor. Sometimes you have to play with the cards you're dealt.

Any attempt to try something new shows promise! If you remember a Missouri game against ISU, Brad Smith got hurt and was the "starter". Then a young guy by the name of Chase Daniel came out and whooped us. Trying something is not always the answer, but you don't know if you don't try.

gmckern

Oct 23, 2006
How can it be more simple?

Before the ball is snapped, he's lockid in on one guy and one guy only. If that guy is not open, he runs.

Pretty simple to me. The line is giving him time, he just can't give up on a passing play the second he feels a little bit of pressure. Step up in the pocket, make a check and fling it.

There should be 3 reads during a passing play, he is only looking to one side of the field, so I would have to say that he is at best checking only 2 reads. The problem with his running is that he is coughing up the ball when he should be leading by example and protecting it!

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Most of these bad passes are when Austen is throwing it 15 yds for a 3 yd gain.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Practice should set the play time for players. HOWEVER, if a player can't reproduce what they do in practice on Saturdays, you have to try something else. Maybe that is Tiller. I don't know the answer. I like AA. He is a leader and I like his running ability. During the final drive, he looked more calm than he was all game.

At this point, I'd be happy to give Tiller a whole game to show what he can do with the offense.

Over the course of this season and the course of last season I have noticed one thing that is so obvious that it makes me sick nobody has figured it out yet... When Arnaud has too much time to think he totally screws the pooch. A simple 5 yard pass is too much for him. Go back and watch him in any game, KU, UNLV, etc... and watch him when the team goes no huddle in a 2 minute drill type of offense and tell me you don't see the difference. When he is in the hurry up he tends to look over the defense more and stops trying to think so much for lack of time. He is by far more accurate and he is reacting rather then over thinking the situation.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Does it matter? If the coaches who watch them every snap of every day don't think Tiller is better than AA, why would they risk making our offense worse by putting him in there?

I will tell you one thing.... If there is that big of a gap between Tiller and what Arnaud is doing with our passing game then we might as well switch to the triple option like the service academies because Arnaud throwing the ball makes me want to vomit 80 to 90% of the time. On a 3rd and 7 play against KSU he skipped the ball 5 feet short of his receiver. Honestly the kid looks like Chuck Knoblauch when he was having issues throwing the ball to 1st base. He is like Rick Ankiel trying to pitch. It is sad.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
IMO, if ARob remains injured (and knowing groin injuries firsthand i don't see him getting back to 100% anytime soon) then it's going to be a very long year and the gap between AA and Tiller doesn't really matter. After closely watching each game this year, ARob is an essential player for us to have much success past beating the Buffs.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
If we get our butts kicked by KU and AA is still having issues and coughing up the ball...this shows that he doesn't have it together this year.....and one would think that you have got to give Tiller some major reps in the Baylor Homecoming game.

Man, I really like AA too. I would like for him to have an outstanding game on the road against KU....but this inconsistancy crap needs to stop. This is D-1 football.. But if you aren't getting it done....you're not getting it done. Give the back-up a shot to prove HIMSELF.....he might be the answer we are looking for.
This is pretty well said... and I like AA just as much as the next guy, but c'mon. If I recall, there was a nip & tuck type of war going on in the pre-season about who would start. I'm guessing now, that was all pretty much hype. Someone on here once posted about CPR being faithful to the guy just because he's been a starter for so long. I hope that's not the case. Every position should be fought for. Absolutely no offense, but I really doubt AA will go anywhere in the NFL draft, if he gets selected at all (in a couple of years). But seriously, lets find the right guy for the position. And that goes for any position. Go 'Clones!

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I will tell you one thing.... If there is that big of a gap between Tiller and what Arnaud is doing with our passing game then we might as well switch to the triple option like the service academies because Arnaud throwing the ball makes me want to vomit 80 to 90% of the time. On a 3rd and 7 play against KSU he skipped the ball 5 feet short of his receiver. Honestly the kid looks like Chuck Knoblauch when he was having issues throwing the ball to 1st base. He is like Rick Ankiel trying to pitch. It is sad.

This is how I feel. Maybe AA practices really, really well but eventually, you need to judge guys on how they on gameday.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
This is how I feel. Maybe AA practices really, really well but eventually, you need to judge guys on how they on gameday.

I feel for Arnaud. The kid flat out played last year and this year he just looks like a totally different guy. His mechanics are all jacked up and he can't seem to make the simple throws. Something has gon terribly wrong here and I get the feeling that it is directly between the ears for him. He just doesn't look like the same guy at all.

We didn't really open up the passing game much against NDSU but is it possible that his confidence was destroyed by the Iowa game performance? He has not looked the same ever since.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I feel for Arnaud. The kid flat out played last year and this year he just looks like a totally different guy. His mechanics are all jacked up and he can't seem to make the simple throws. Something has gon terribly wrong here and I get the feeling that it is directly between the ears for him. He just doesn't look like the same guy at all.

We didn't really open up the passing game much against NDSU but is it possible that his confidence was destroyed by the Iowa game performance? He has not looked the same ever since.

Agreed. He toasted Mizzou last year for over 400 yards. A poor redzone performance by the whole team in that game didn't get us a win but the passing and catching by the WRs was impressive. All indications were we had a big season in store for us from AA this season.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Does anybody else notice hes getting rid of the ball too quickly? He has plenty of time to let things develop and give our receivers time to get open. Too often he is locked onto a receiver at the snap and doesn't let the play develop and rushes a throw. This is one of the main reasons we've only given up 2 sacks.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
Does anybody else notice hes getting rid of the ball too quickly? He has plenty of time to let things develop and give our receivers time to get open. Too often he is locked onto a receiver at the snap and doesn't let the play develop and rushes a throw. This is one of the main reasons we've only given up 2 sacks.

Yes, but the plays I would bet are calling for him to only look at one receiver, if that guy isn't open he tucks and runs. Him waiting and letting things develop is going against what his coaches are telling him.

Someone earlier in the thread talked about Texas Tech's QBs and their short passing game. The difference is that there QBs are able to read 4 or 5 receivers on a play and get it to the open man. Right now, either Herman doesn't think that AA can do something like this, or AA just has a quick trigger.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We dont have those receivers that can get open in 5 yards and then catch the ball and make a play we just dont.

They will never be open if AA stands in the middle of the field and locks on radar. He does his receivers no favors with few look offs or fakes. He is just too mechanical and not natural. I expected he would have worked these habits out, but it does not look like that.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
How can it be more simple?

Before the ball is snapped, he's lockid in on one guy and one guy only. If that guy is not open, he runs.

Pretty simple to me. The line is giving him time, he just can't give up on a passing play the second he feels a little bit of pressure. Step up in the pocket, make a check and fling it.

I agree that it can't get too much easier for AA. He stares down the primary receiver from snap to throw and a lot of the passes he is bouncing are not hard or long of throws. I realize that the system is new, but throwing is still throwing and AA has to get better. I trust the coaches to know that Tiller isn't the answer.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Here is another thing that goes along with him not letting plays develop. Most of the short passes he misses on he does so because he tries to throw the ball too hard. This presents two problems, first of all he has shown to be extremely inaccurate when he does this and our receivers aren't known for their soft hands. AA needs to develop some touch and this is just yet another thing that will come when the game slows down for him. Everything is rushed and his fundamentals are obviously messed up.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Simplify what? The 5 pass plays they run a 3 running plays. Looks simple to me. IMO the problem is teams give us a look on D, the play is changed but the D has an idea of what we are going to change to, so we are playing right into their hands. In other words they are giving the O a look, but they are going to run something different than they normally do out of that look, because they know what play our O runs when shown that look. When we go quick or dont change plays is when good things happen.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Simplify what? The 5 pass plays they run a 3 running plays. Looks simple to me. IMO the problem is teams give us a look on D, the play is changed but the D has an idea of what we are going to change to, so we are playing right into their hands. In other words they are giving the O a look, but they are going to run something different than they normally do out of that look, because they know what play our O runs when shown that look. When we go quick or dont change plays is when good things happen.

You just made another point for our offensive struggles being related to time in the offense. It will take time. From year one to year two, there is usually significant improvement. lets hope it's first half of year one to second half of year one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron