Arnaud - Simplify

gmckern

Oct 23, 2006
I am not saying that Herman needs to "dumb down" this offense to Arnuad, he just needs to "simplify" his reads. Right now Arnaud is pressing too much and his results are showing. Herman needs to call plays that involve the tight ends and throw it to them until the defense takes it away from them. This weekend I lost track of the # of times that Franklin and Catlett were wide open in the middle of the field 5-10 yards from the line of scrimage. Get the ball to your receivers and let them make the plays, ala Texas Tech. Tech QB's over the years throw over 60% because they complete the ball with short passes and let the receivers run away.

5-10 yard passes = easier
15-25 yard passes = low percentage and incompletions

And right now Arnaud/Herman are trying too many long passes. The short passes will open up the longer ones later in the game if needed, otherwise Franklin and Co. should have blisters on their hands come Monday's practice.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I agree with the above and AA's mechanics are off, too many one hopper balls and balls behind the receivers

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
a slant is a slant, no matter who is the o-cord. arnaud is struggling to complete those..

Our pass-catch combo has just stunk for the most part..

i mean, 50% of the time isn't good

gmckern

Oct 23, 2006
a slant is a slant, no matter who is the o-cord. arnaud is struggling to complete those..

I bet he completes more 5-10 yard passes than the ones he is attempting. If not get Tiller in there to see if he can make the short pass, plus he has teh legs to make you miss.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
I thought Tiller was going to be used for at least (1) drive a game? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I did not see Tiller at all.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
the 5-10 yard passes are being one-hopped to the receivers. hard for them to make a play!!

gmckern

Oct 23, 2006
the 5-10 yard passes are being one-hopped to the receivers. hard for them to make a play!!

That is when we need to let someone else make the throws!!!! Melvin, I am on board, let the young guy give it a chance!

clone99

Sep 14, 2007
Iowa
Something has to change. I hear all these people talk about how impressive AA is during practice, I just don't understand what the problem is during games. There could be some validity to simplifying may be the answer. He really seems to be struggling with the offense he has been dealt with. I don't know if I have seen any of our QB's in the last 15 years miss more receivers high, low and behind. Including himself the last 2 years

Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

I know your pain buddy er dual....fifty percent passing in the spread offense and you mite as well stay in the lockeroom!!!!

Unless AA's passing improves.. Im afraid its gonna be LAST PLACE for the Clones Again!!!!!

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Practice should set the play time for players. HOWEVER, if a player can't reproduce what they do in practice on Saturdays, you have to try something else. Maybe that is Tiller. I don't know the answer. I like AA. He is a leader and I like his running ability. During the final drive, he looked more calm than he was all game.

At this point, I'd be happy to give Tiller a whole game to show what he can do with the offense.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You know how much I'd love for Tiller to be the solution to our offensive woes? The problem is, every time he's been in the game he's looked worse than Arnaud. That leads me to believe that perhaps this year's Heisman QB isn't sitting on our bench.

Look, I'm not opposed to giving Tiller some time to play. It's just with what he's shown during games up to this point has not led me to the same conclusion that putting him in will be the cure-all to the offensive problems that some people here are suggesting.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
How can it be more simple?

Before the ball is snapped, he's lockid in on one guy and one guy only. If that guy is not open, he runs.

Pretty simple to me. The line is giving him time, he just can't give up on a passing play the second he feels a little bit of pressure. Step up in the pocket, make a check and fling it.

Reactions: Wesley

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
You know how much I'd love for Tiller to be the solution to our offensive woes? The problem is, every time he's been in the game he's looked worse than Arnaud. That leads me to believe that perhaps this year's Heisman QB isn't sitting on our bench.

Look, I'm not opposed to giving Tiller some time to play. It's just with what he's shown during games up to this point has not led me to the same conclusion that putting him in will be the cure-all to the offensive problems that some people here are suggesting.

If we've seen the best we have from our QBs, then this team is going nowhere fast. Arkansas State's QB looked better than ours last week. UNI's QB is definitely better than ours. How is it that every school out there seems to have a solid QB and our two best look mediocre come game time?

Reactions: isuforlife

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
If we get our butts kicked by KU and AA is still having issues and coughing up the ball...this shows that he doesn't have it together this year.....and one would think that you have got to give Tiller some major reps in the Baylor Homecoming game.

Man, I really like AA too. I would like for him to have an outstanding game on the road against KU....but this inconsistancy crap needs to stop. This is D-1 football.. But if you aren't getting it done....you're not getting it done. Give the back-up a shot to prove HIMSELF.....he might be the answer we are looking for.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If we've seen the best we have from our QBs, then this team is going nowhere fast. Arkansas State's QB looked better than ours last week. UNI's QB is definitely better than ours. How is it that every school out there seems to have a solid QB and our two best look mediocre come game time?

I don't know. Perhaps it's the 3 systems in 4 years thing. Perhaps he's had 3 different QB coaches over 4 years telling him he needs to adjust his delivery and now he no longer knows what to do. Maybe neither of them are nearly as good as we hyped ourselves up to believe. I don't know. All I know is while Arnaud is part of the problem, he's not the entire problem - the WRs share in not getting open and dropping the passes that are catchable.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
what do you do when your quarterback isn't playing that great but he is still better than your back-up? Keep him as the starter. We all want the magic wand to appear and fix this but if you don't have the guy, you don't have him. You could put in the backup and WORSEN the situation and then listen to all you idiots ***** and moan about how we lost by 35 and had 7 turnovers against Baylor. Sometimes you have to play with the cards you're dealt.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I wonder if the sideline checks are messing with AA. We'll never know but I wonder how many times Austin looks over to the sideline and its a check to a running play. If the kids a little shaking after throwing a pick or short hopping one, and the next 4 or 5 plays are orginally pass plays...checked to runs it might screw with a kids confidence.

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
I guess we can't bash on Iowa fans anymore for thinking the backup quarterback is always the answer.

How any armchair quarterback watching from the stands thinks they know more about the situation than a staff that watches the team/tape 18 hours a day for months on end is laughable. You don't think they would play Tiller if they thought he could do a better job? If they don't win, they don't turn the program around, and the evenutally lose their job. But I'm sure all of us after a few beers on Saturday can evaluate things better than them.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I guess we can't bash on Iowa fans anymore for thinking the backup quarterback is always the answer.

How any armchair quarterback watching from the stands thinks they know more about the situation than a staff that watches the team/tape 18 hours a day for months on end is laughable. You don't think they would play Tiller if they thought he could do a better job? If they don't win, they don't turn the program around, and the evenutally lose their job. But I'm sure all of us after a few beers on Saturday can evaluate things better than them.

When Iowa was calling out their starting QB, was he throwing 50%?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I wonder if the sideline checks are messing with AA. We'll never know but I wonder how many times Austin looks over to the sideline and its a check to a running play. If the kids a little shaking after throwing a pick or short hopping one, and the next 4 or 5 plays are orginally pass plays...checked to runs it might screw with a kids confidence.

I can tell you almost 100% sure there have not been a lot of checks from Pass plays to running plays because every time they come to the line of scrimmage they see 8-9 in the box.....if were checkin to running plays were in worse shape then i thought....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron