Are we far enough along to evaluate Yancy McKnight?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
yea its the strength coaches fault they sign 6-4 235lb OL and they are expected to be able to block 300lb first roundrs in 10 months. Totally his fault

There is not a single true freshman playing in the trenches. So come back when you grow a brain. Also, this is year 5, not year 1. There is no excuse for playing this many underclassman unless you absolutely whiffed on the first few classes through the program.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yea, but it pales in comparison to the bigger schools.

Actually it doesn't. Is it Oregon, is it OSU, no, but it is competitive with everybody but the top dogs with a major deep pockets donor. Now, can we keep pace in the arms race, probably not, but right now it is a good facility that is better than most.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There is not a single true freshman playing in the trenches, you moron. So come back when you grow a brain. Also, this is year 5, not year 1. There is no excuse for playing this many underclassman unless you absolutely whiffed on the first few classes through the program.

Exactly, it's the 4th and 5th year players getting pushed around by UNI's 240 lb DEs. That might be as much technique as S&C, but people making claims they know S&C isn't the problem have no basis for this.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Either our program has a problem in the new facility or we are incredibly unlucky. I saw something like 20 bodies in sweats last Saturday. You decide.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Yancy sat at my table at Cy's House of Trivia after this staff's first spring game in 2009. I was impressed with him. He said he didn't think the team had done any flexibility drills in the 2 previous years and it was an emphasis for him. He said KO could only get down to 19 inches with the box squat when he arrived in January, but after winter workouts he had improved to 13 inches. He also said he would get Stephens, Lamaak and KO into the NFL. He went 2 for 3 and was pretty close to a sweep. Look, we've done pretty well with injuries during Yancy's first four years. Then we have one bad year and suddenly he may not know what he's doing? Injuries are cyclical and we're having a bad year. Take EIU, they have had some bad luck recently but this year they seem to be unscathed.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Yancy sat at my table at Cy's House of Trivia after this staff's first spring game in 2009. I was impressed with him. He said he didn't think the team had done any flexibility drills in the 2 previous years and it was an emphasis for him. He said KO could only get down to 19 inches with the box squat when he arrived in January, but after winter workouts he had improved to 13 inches. He also said he would get Stephens, Lamaak and KO into the NFL. He went 2 for 3 and was pretty close to a sweep. Look, we've done pretty well with injuries during Yancy's first four years. Then we have one bad year and suddenly he may not know what he's doing? Injuries are cyclical and we're having a bad year. Take EIU, they have had some bad luck recently but this year they seem to be unscathed.

He seriously said that about Stephens and Osemele? Those two were NFL caliber before Yancy came here, and would be there regardless. The only recruit that committed to Rhoads and not Chizik and his staff in the NFL is Knott, so lets not talk about Rhoads great track record or Yancy getting players into the NFL.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There is not a single true freshman playing in the trenches. So come back when you grow a brain. Also, this is year 5, not year 1. There is no excuse for playing this many underclassman unless you absolutely whiffed on the first few classes through the program.

Or Dika, Tuftee, and Gannon are hurt/have been hurt for the past years. If you have them (two of them were two of the top 3 and I have heard Dika may have been the best) then you have actual upperclassmen on the entire line save Lalk who has arguably been the best of the bunch but yet he hasn't been healthy. Not to mention those 4 your next best guy was injured. That's your starting five once we figured out Lich and Loth weren't capable. Oh yeah and Graham was injured. I'd love to go the route of "injuries aren't an excuse" but when you step back and look at the line, it has been killed. It takes an animal of a freshman to play. It takes a really good RS freshman to be successful. We simply haven't been able to recruit guys who are ready in less than three years and that's what you are asking most of the line to be.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He seriously said that about Stephens and Osemele? Those two were NFL caliber before Yancy came here, and would be there regardless. The only recruit that committed to Rhoads and not Chizik and his staff in the NFL is Knott, so lets not talk about Rhoads great track record or Yancy getting players into the NFL.

So nothing is in his control. Why even have a S&C guy. I mean, they are or they aren't NFL guys right? You're grasping.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Either our program has a problem in the new facility or we are incredibly unlucky. I saw something like 20 bodies in sweats last Saturday. You decide.

How many injuries have we had the past four years. I seem to remember us always being pretty lucky. These guys aren't all pulling hammies or straining muscles.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How many injuries have we had the past four years. I seem to remember us always being pretty lucky. These guys aren't all pulling hammies or straining muscles.

Maybe it is the "Excessive Blocking for Zone Read and Bubble Screen Syndrome."

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

Are you kidding with this ****?

I get that the facts of what realignment did to our recruiting don't fit the agenda, but if you don't think espn constantly talking about Iowa State being one of just a handful of schools on the outside looking in didn't have an effect on the kids we could sign, you aren't here to discuss reality.

We have enough hawk trolls posing as Iowa State "fans" and Mac fans and fire everybody crowd dragging down the level of discourse on this site now as it is. Quit being part of the problem

Newell

Aug 6, 2013

I don't know about the rest of your post but going below 90 degrees on squats is a good way to hurt a knee. I know a guy who is in his 60's and has walked with a limp for many years because of exactly that.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don't know about the rest of your post but going below 90 degrees on squats is a good way to hurt a knee. I know a guy who is in his 60's and has walked with a limp for many years because of exactly that.
I'm a trainer and this is false.
In fact, sometimes if you don't go to parallel or lower, you can hurt the knee joint. Mainly because you may tend to fire from the knees, rather than your hips to get back up.

It's not about how deep you go, its about performing the lift properly. If you go below parallel and bounce to get out of the hole, you will hurt your knee. If you have too much weight on your toes and not your heels, it doesnt matter how deep you go, you will hurt your knee. If you drop into your squat too fast and uncontrolled, you will hurt your knee. None of those are about the squat depth. If you are squatting below parallel and hurt your knees, its because you are doing it wrong, not the depth.

I know a lot of older people who have deep squatted all their life and have zero knee problems. I always squat below parallel and have zero knee problems. I also know people who squat above parallel and have chronic knee pain.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
I'm a trainer and this is false.
In fact, sometimes if you don't go to parallel or lower, you can hurt the knee joint. Mainly because you may tend to fire from the knees, rather than your hips to get back up.

It's not about how deep you go, its about performing the lift properly. If you go below parallel and bounce to get out of the hole, you will hurt your knee. If you have too much weight on your toes and not your heels, it doesnt matter how deep you go, you will hurt your knee. If you drop into your squat too fast and uncontrolled, you will hurt your knee. None of those are about the squat depth. If you are squatting below parallel and hurt your knees, its because you are doing it wrong, not the depth.

I know a lot of older people who have deep squatted all their life and have zero knee problems. I always squat below parallel and have zero knee problems. I also know people who squat above parallel and have chronic knee pain.

I realize there are trainers saying you should go below 90 degrees. The reason they bounce is because they go all the way down. Hard to bounce at parallel and harder to hurt the knee.

But do what you want to do, it's your body.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
yea its the strength coaches fault they sign 6-4 235lb OL and they are expected to be able to block 300lb first rounds in 10 months. Totally his fault

So it is our lack of recruiting ready to roll players that is dooming us?:rolleyes:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I realize there are trainers saying you should go below 90 degrees. The reason they bounce is because they go all the way down. Hard to bounce at parallel and harder to hurt the knee.

But do what you want to do, it's your body.
No, the reason they bounce is to help/cheat themselves out of the hole. Just like bench press and bouncing the bar off your chest to help it back up.

Thats why a lot of people use box squats, because it takes away your ability to bounce. You sit down to the box and lose momentum and the only way to get back up is to explosively fire your hips and glutes to stand back up.

Just like YM was talking about KO only being able to get down to a 19" box and now he can get down to a 13" box. Thats a massive increase in flexibility and explosive strength, without hurting your knees. For KO to do box squats down to a 13" box is very impressive. Go find a box 13" tall and sit on it and stand back up with proper form. Then try it with weight. The amount of power and strength that takes from your hips is incredible.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
We are the only fan base in America that blames everybody from the janitors to the assistants and never ever put's anything on the Head Coach. It's becoming laughable.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
We are the only fan base in America that blames everybody from the janitors to the assistants and never ever put's anything on the Head Coach. It's becoming laughable.

If you read this board, you'll know a large majority of CF does put blame on the head coach, it's just that most don't believe Rhoads is the problem, rather his inability to make personnel changes and fix problems is allowing the problems to continue to happen.

proisu

Jan 11, 2008
nowhere
There is such a thing as tough and then there is aggressive or mentally tough. Unfortunately it's hard to teach some kids to be aggressive, some either have it or they don't. It's easy for a kid to dominate in high school because he's a mammoth compared to the other kids on the field. When they get to college they are all going to be your size or bigger.

So now it comes down to technique and who wants it more. I'm not sure how much has changed when Coach K came in, but there could be some different techniques or calls that might be affecting our play. Plus, the injuries and we are what we are.

If it was me I would have put the Godfather of the pistol at OC and had him calling the plays.

YA, because he has proven so much here AND been so great without CK!! said before, I know, but jeeesh

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron