Are we far enough along to evaluate Yancy McKnight?

TXN4CY

Sep 26, 2013
Earth
Olinemen that have been in Yancy's program their entire college career getting destroyed by UNI's Dline. Furthest thing from the problem? Sure, right, whatever.
yea its the strength coaches fault they sign 6-4 235lb OL and they are expected to be able to block 300lb first roundrs in 10 months. Totally his fault

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
The offensive line is worked too much to put on good weight, and I don't care how tall you are but you aren't going to get push at 280 or 290 pounds.

ISU has O-line players that just aren't physically imposing compared to the O-line players that other Big XII programs have. The other Big XII programs typically have guys on the line that are bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic, and definitely more physically imposing then what ISU has. The results show that.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Regarding injuries: now would be a good time to remind people that correlation and causation are two separate concepts. In other words, correlation does not imply causation.

I'm fine with YM based on what he has done so far. How quickly people forget what this team looked like when Chiz was here...

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Farniok, Tuftee Lictenberg, Loth, Gannon, Burton, Dagel, Lalk, and Omoile average 6'-5 1/2" and 299 lbs. How big do they have to get before they are Big12 size.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Farniok, Tuftee Lictenberg, Loth, Gannon, Burton, Dagel, Lalk, and Omoile average 6'-5 1/2" and 299 lbs. How big do they have to get before they are Big12 size.

A typical ISU lineman

A typical lineman from other Big XII schools

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I would evaluate a S&C coach based how how tough physically the players are. We have been abused up front by guys half our players weight, telling me pound for pound even UNI has stronger men, physically, up front.

It's a good thing you are an accountant and not a S&C Coach Talent evaluator. ;)

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I see our linemen as undersized, but I don't perceive our team wearing out physically during games(mentally yes). So the issue, if there is one, would be in the size of the players not conditioning IMO. So you have to recruit bigger Linemen and Linebackers or give them time to fill out. Where we have size I think we compete well. I would think that the overall size has more to do with genetics than training or everyone would be big.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I haven't been too impressed. Our team is plagued with injuries and seem to be less physical than every squad we play.

Development

Awesome evaluation. I love how willy nilly people are with other people's reputations and jobs. Farniok and others getting rolled up on is a conditioning thing? Richardson's ankle injury isn't even football related. Shocker that West and Wimberly - a combined 11 feet tall and 350 pounds would get dinged up. And you know what - I don't know if he's doing a good job or not, but I do know that it certainly isn't my place to "evaluate" it. But you keep doing what you are clearly good at - throwing gas on our players, coaches, training techniques and everything else - from behind the curtain like every great chicken **** does.

Reactions: Doc

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I see our linemen as undersized, but I don't perceive our team wearing out physically during games(mentally yes). So the issue, if there is one, would be in the size of the players not conditioning IMO. So you have to recruit bigger Linemen and Linebackers or give them time to fill out. Where we have size I think we compete well. I would think that the overall size has more to do with genetics than training or everyone would be big.

Someone posted that we have 9 offensive lineman that average 6'5" and 299 pounds. They have pretty good size strictly based on the measurements.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Physicality is as much coaching as training.
Agree. It would be a lot less frustrating if the problem actually was a matter of getting pushed around. Our blocking sucks, but more so because of teaching and scheme. Hell, people were complaining about our Olines back when we had KO, Lamaak, Haughton, Hicks, Stephens, etc.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Awesome evaluation. I love how willy nilly people are with other people's reputations and jobs. Farniok and others getting rolled up on is a conditioning thing? Richardson's ankle injury isn't even football related. Shocker that West and Wimberly - a combined 11 feet tall and 350 pounds would get dinged up. And you know what - I don't know if he's doing a good job or not, but I do know that it certainly isn't my place to "evaluate" it. But you keep doing what you are clearly good at - throwing gas on our players, coaches, training techniques and everything else - from behind the curtain like every great chicken **** does.

No offense, but when a team is 1-6 and just got crushed for the 2nd week in a row... fans are going to speculate and ask questions because it is obvious that there are problems. When a team is ranked 101st in total offense and 115th in total defense... fans are going to speculate and ask questions because it is obvious there are problems.

What am I missing?

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
No offense, but when a team is 1-6 and just got crushed for the 2nd week in a row... fans are going to speculate and ask questions because it is obvious that there are problems. When a team is ranked 101st in total offense and 115th in total defense... fans are going to speculate and ask questions because it is obvious there are problems.

What am I missing?

Rational solutions?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I am shocked at the free rein some of you have been given to relentlessly trash ISU coaches, players and recruits. For a website that exploits ISU athletics for financial gain. I find it offensive that relentless negative and destructive behavior is tolerated.

I realize that some of you won't change, and you will continue to deny the consequences of your acts. This site does, however, have the choice of whether you are allowed to do it here. I really wish they would take a different stance.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
What am I missing?

No offense taken. I just don't care for this type of OP because I think it's chicken ****. The OP didn't start an evaluation thread, they threw another hand grenade in the general direction of the football team.

There is no comparing our training to anyone else. Have any of you guys ever met Yancy? Sat with him and discussed philosophy? Been to one of his sessions with the guys? Ever even been in the new building?

The OP doesn't know the details of the injuries. Yet he infers they are all training related. I don't like being 1-6 either. I also don't think it means everyone is incompetent.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Rational solutions?

Sadly... I don't think there are any rational solutions to fix the problems this season. The statistics really show just how big of a train wreck this season has become.

ISU team ranks

Total offense 101st
Rushing offense 96th
Passing offense 78th
Sacks allowed 119th
Scoring offense 85th
1st down offense 110th
3rd down conversion offense 96th

Total defense 115th
Rushing defense 110th
Passing yards allowed 101st
Scoring defense 116th
1st down defense 101st
3rd down conversion defense 91st

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA
I have a friend who is a grad assistant in Health and Human Performance who has worked with Yancy, and at a other D1 level schools. He is adamant that Yancy is the best S&C coach he's worked with or seen. For someone like me who lifted in HS but doesn't know exactly what is going on vs my friend who knows what he is watching and has the credibility to evaluate, I will trust my friend's judgement over a scmuck saying injuries mean Yancy is bad. /facepalm

EDIT: Just watched that video.. Can you seriously think Yancy doesn't know what he is doing? Look at what Josh Lenz did compared to the before and after. Holy ****! If that's what "average" and "below average" players look like after they come out, what do you think 3-4-5 star talent would look like?

EDIT EDIT: Finished watching the video. Anyone who thinks McKnight doesn't know what he is doing is a ******* idiot.

Last edited:

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
It's a good thing you are an accountant and not a S&C Coach Talent evaluator. ;)
No kidding! I was just posting what I have heard from opposing fans, but I agree I am better with numbers, you could probably juggle both professions better than most accountants!

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Sadly... I don't think there are any rational solutions to fix the problems this season. The statistics really show just how big of a train wreck this season has become.

ISU team ranks

Total offense 101st
Rushing offense 96th
Passing offense 78th
Sacks allowed 119th
Scoring offense 85th
1st down offense 110th
3rd down conversion offense 96th

Total defense 115th
Rushing defense 110th
Passing yards allowed 101st
Scoring defense 116th
1st down defense 101st
3rd down conversion defense 91st

It's rare that you see a team so awful on both sides of the ball.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have a friend who is a grad assistant in Health and Human Performance who has worked with Yancy, and at a other D1 level schools. He is adamant that Yancy is the best S&C coach he's worked with or seen. For someone like me who lifted in HS but doesn't know exactly what is going on vs my friend who knows what he is watching and has the credibility to evaluate, I will trust my friend's judgement over a scmuck saying injuries mean Yancy is bad. /facepalm

EDIT: Just watched that video.. Can you seriously think Yancy doesn't know what he is doing? Look at what Josh Lenz did compared to the before and after. Holy ****! If that's what "average" and "below average" players look like after they come out, what do you think 3-4-5 star talent would look like?

EDIT EDIT: Finished watching the video. Anyone who thinks McKnight doesn't know what he is doing is a ******* idiot.

I think a lot of the issues with the OL getting pushed is the pad level they play at. If you watch some of the fall camp drills with the OL, the coach is constantly talking to the players about their bad level, and that they are not getting low enough. Saw a lot of this in the UNI game, where their shorter DL would get a lot lower and bend the OL back, basically neutralizing their size advantage by cutting their body into two areas rather than one force.