Are unscheduled phone calls rude?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Unscheduled phone calls are far less rude than a text message that simply says "call me"
And a lot less stressful. If one of my parents texts “call me” or “can I can?” (Which is much more common) I’m thinking someone’s died.

I also do schedule times with my parents to talk. It’s not that it’s rude if they called out of the blue/I called out of the blue, but I figure it’s less of a potential waste of time if we schedule the call beforehand/we make sure we’re all available.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
And a lot less stressful. If one of my parents texts “call me” or “can I can?” (Which is much more common) I’m thinking someone’s died.

I also do schedule times with my parents to talk. It’s not that it’s rude if they called out of the blue/I called out of the blue, but I figure it’s less of a potential waste of time if we schedule the call beforehand/we make sure we’re all available.

My dad is notorious for the "call me" texts that make your heart stop. He'll send them when he wakes up at 5:30 since he has a thought in his head. I'll call when I see it, and it is about if I can bring an extra cooler to the cook out next week.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Unscheduled calls are just fine. They were even better before caller ID. You never knew who would be on the other end upon picking up. Mystery is so much better.
I agree with this. I like the ability to screen calls, but at the same time when I see certain names pop up on the caller ID it can be an anxiety trigger. Like "Oh f*ck, my boss is calling to see why I'm not there." If caller ID didn't exist, I think I'd have less anxiety and be more willing to answer phone calls.

Reactions: FallOf81

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Nope, just don’t answer. Far worse is people who just drop by with no notice. I have a brother who lives 90 miles away and can’t bother to text that he is going to stop by. He has dropped in at very inconvenient times

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Older millennial here. My family has no problem with unscheduled calls, and luckily no one is offended if someone doesn't answer.

When I first got in the workforce (2008) I was definitely an email first for most communications, including if it was to see if they had time to talk. Now I'm absolutely all about just calling people. Takes less time than emails and much better results.
See I am the opposite. I have a tendency to drag conversations on on the phone, or am not very good at picking up cues to end conversations to the point where the other person has to just bluntly tell me they have to go and hangs up. This results in my having an apprehension to talk on the phone, because it could be a 30-60 minute endeavor, which is pretty serious time commitment. So knowing this I do tend to text friends/family, or email at work, over call, mostly out of respect for both mine and the other persons time.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Unscheduled phone calls are far less rude than a text message that simply says "call me"
I won't ever just say "call me" but I've definitely sent a text saying "call me when you get a sec" or "call me to talk about (insert random topic)" so they know it's not an emergency.

• Winner
Reactions: stateofmind

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Unscheduled call?

Every call I make is unscheduled. I ain't scheduling a time with my mom to call and check in on her.

If you are too busy to talk just don't answer.

A pet peeve of mine is when someone texts me a question and I call back immediately to answer (because its to much to write in a text) and then they don't answer.
I can do the text then not answer a call. It is a scenario where I need to text something when thinking about it but am not necessarily available to talk on the phone. I’m really bad about remembering small stuff if I don’t do something about it right away.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
No, but at the same time I usually text "call when you have a sec" if it's nothing too urgent

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This is entirely dependent on the relationship, isn't it?

* Friend/family - no, not rude to call unscheduled. Can be a nice surprise.
* Workplace (external/customer) - Yes, absolutely rude (but sometimes necessary, unfortunately)
* Workplace (internal) - Kind of rude, but IM/Teams has made this much easier. You can see their status of available, offline, meeting, do not disturb, etc. If available, you can send a quick IM, 'got a minute to chat?'

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
On this topic, I get completely annoyed when someone answers my call only to tell me they can't talk.

Don't answer the call if you can't take it. I won't be offended.

I get your point but I will do exactly that. With the farming stuff and livestock around I am nervous that something is wrong, so I will answer to see if there’s an emergency and if not I’ll tell them I can’t talk and will call back.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I get your point but I will do exactly that. With the farming stuff and livestock around I am nervous that something is wrong, so I will answer to see if there’s an emergency and if not I’ll tell them I can’t talk and will call back.
There are people where it's always possible that there's an emergency, and I usually text "Emergency?" upon silencing.

Reactions: DeereClone

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
It's not rude to make an unscheduled call.
It's not rude to not answer a call.
It's not rude to send a text.
It's not rude to reply to an unanswered call with a text.
It's not rude to answer a call just to ask, "can I call you back shortly"?
In general, it's not rude to attempt to communicate.
In general, it's not rude to tell someone you are busy and will communicate later.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Unscheduled call?

Every call I make is unscheduled. I ain't scheduling a time with my mom to call and check in on her.

If you are too busy to talk just don't answer.

A pet peeve of mine is when someone texts me a question and I call back immediately to answer (because its to much to write in a text) and then they don't answer.

I'm dealing with a lawyer that's incompetent and I won't take anything from him verbally any more. I don't think text is the correct avenue for most things, but the old adage that: "if it's now in writing, it didn't happen" is how I have had to deal with him and others.

I wonder if you're running into a bit of that, although as mentioned texting is a weird business communication venue.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm dealing with a lawyer that's incompetent and I won't take anything from him verbally any more. I don't think text is the correct avenue for most things, but the old adage that: "if it's now in writing, it didn't happen" is how I have had to deal with him and others.

I wonder if you're running into a bit of that, although as mentioned texting is a weird business communication venue.

No it's nothing like that. It's more clients asking me how the best way to do something is or how to do something. It's easier to just explain verbally the pros/cons of certain things. or if they need help doing something in Quickbooks it's easier to talk them through it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron