Are unscheduled phone calls rude?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I default to text-based chat first for the most part. 'Gimme a call when you have a sec' kind of thing -- then be mindful about waiting for them to either reply or just call back.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Unscheduled call?

Every call I make is unscheduled. I ain't scheduling a time with my mom to call and check in on her.

If you are too busy to talk just don't answer.

A pet peeve of mine is when someone texts me a question and I call back immediately to answer (because its to much to write in a text) and then they don't answer.
So much this. My wife will spend an hour exchanging texts and getting frustrated trying to figure out a complex situation that she could handle with a 3 minute phone conversation. But she hates talking to people on the phone and gets pissed when someone calls her. Drives me nuts.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Older millennial here. My family has no problem with unscheduled calls, and luckily no one is offended if someone doesn't answer.

When I first got in the workforce (2008) I was definitely an email first for most communications, including if it was to see if they had time to talk. Now I'm absolutely all about just calling people. Takes less time than emails and much better results.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A pet peeve of mine is when someone texts me a question and I call back immediately to answer (because its to much to write in a text) and then they don't answer.

They might very well have texted that question because they aren't in a position to have a call though. If someone texts it's best to assume they want a response in text. If it's too much to text out just say that

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
A few years ago, I tried to call my husband and he was rejecting my call (in a meeting). You would think he would realize it was important if I keep calling. I was in an ER 60 miles from home with a broken ankle.

He no longer doesn’t accept my unscheduled call.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
A few years ago, I tried to call my husband and he was rejecting my call (in a meeting). You would think he would realize it was important if I keep calling. I was in an ER 60 miles from home with a broken ankle.

Did you leave a goddam message?? This doesn't sound life threatening and the man was in a meeting!!

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They might very well have texted that question because they aren't in a position to have a call though. If someone texts it's best to assume they want a response in text. If it's too much to text out just say that

I am fine with people texting accounting/tax questions and sometimes the answer is easy to text back. But if it is a more complicated answer I'd rather talk you through it rather than having a back and forth text convo trying to get you to understand it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Sorry but he wasn't in a meeting, at least not a work meeting lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 1100011CS

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
On this topic, I get completely annoyed when someone answers my call only to tell me they can't talk.

Don't answer the call if you can't take it. I won't be offended.
This. It's your job to manage your phone not mine. If I feel like calling you, I'm going to because I don't have your schedule handy. If you don't answer, I assume you'll call me back like a real human and if it's important I will leave a message. If it's an emergency, I will call again immediately as most people I know operate under the assumption that if someone continues calling, it's an emergency.

I am a little jealous, though, that a significant inconvenience in someone's life is someone calling them when they aren't available to talk.

*Obvious exceptions apply such as if I know you're wife is giving birth at the moment

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am fine with people texting accounting/tax questions and sometimes the answer is easy to text back. But if it is a more complicated answer I'd rather talk you through it rather than having a back and forth text convo trying to get you to understand it.

I totally get that, just saying it shouldn't be an annoyance if they dont answer an immediate return call in that scenario

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Somebody mentioned leaving a voicemail. Because that's just what I want to do when I don't/can't answer your call.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It's annoying because they just texted, 5 seconds ago, and can't answer a call back.

I'll send a text when I can't actually talk. Especially if it's something that can be resolved in one back and forth text exchange.

Also, if I get a text and I can tell it's going to lead to a lengthier exchange, I'll just call because that 5 minute phone conversation is less of an interruption than texting back and forth over an hour.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
It's amazing people survived 40 years ago when all we had was the phone, and you actually had to talk to people.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
10 years ago - no.

Now, I think so. 90% of my calls to friends or business associates start with a text "are u available now or let me know when to call....."

It's actually much more efficient and get more done that way both business and social.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'll send a text when I can't actually talk. Especially if it's something that can be resolved in one back and forth text exchange.

Also, if I get a text and I can tell it's going to lead to a lengthier exchange, I'll just call because that 5 minute phone conversation is less of an interruption than texting back and forth over an hour.

Exactly. After about 4 texts back and forth I'm over it and ready to move on, if it takes more than that just call me.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yah, it's pretty easy to not just answer. With that said, I think we all know that feeling of being on a phone call for about 30 seconds and realizing "oh, there really isn't a point to this conversation and it will likely last another 20 minutes."

I had a business partner who had a special skill of quickly wrapping up conversations without being rude about it. She had a gift. I am not that way at all. I can't end a conversation to save my life and will instead listen to you talk for the next 30 minutes as my mind races through **** I'd rather be doing.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth