Are unscheduled phone calls rude?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That’s what makes it rude. They don’t leave a message, but you find out later that they expected a returned call. Rude.
Gotta leave a message with me. For some odd reason, and no one can fix this, mine and my wife’s call logs show up combined on both of our phones. We don’t get each other’s calls, but recent calls shows both of ours and it’s annoying. So if one of our kids calls one of us and it’s missed, we may not know who they called.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Curious on the ages of people who say it's rude. I'm guessing the younger the person the least likely they want to call or receive a call.

I don't answer many calls lately to my personal phone. It's been 99% spam the last few years. Only family really calls. Most friends will facetime me or call within a different app.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Curious on the ages of people who say it's rude. I'm guessing the younger the person the least likely they want to call or receive a call.

I don't answer many calls lately to my personal phone. It's been 99% spam the last few years. Only family really calls. Most friends will facetime me or call within a different app.
I despise FaceTime. FaceTime me and if I answer you get a picture of my feet or the top of a tree.

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Had a lively group conversation over the holiday weekend about whether an unscheduled phone call is rude. A few points that were made:

- Phone call requires the person to stop what they are doing and speak to you at that moment
- Phone call is more personable and offers instant response for time-sensitive situations
- Email/text offers ability to review what was previously discussed and organize

I think preference here does differ between generations just based on personal experience in the workplace. Thoughts/Opinions/Hot takes?
I'm going to just start showing up at people's houses to tell them I'm about to call them.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and BCClone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Had a lively group conversation over the holiday weekend about whether an unscheduled phone call is rude. A few points that were made:

- Phone call requires the person to stop what they are doing and speak to you at that moment
- Phone call is more personable and offers instant response for time-sensitive situations
- Email/text offers ability to review what was previously discussed and organize

I think preference here does differ between generations just based on personal experience in the workplace. Thoughts/Opinions/Hot takes?

I think simply being able to ignore it and call back when you're available means its not rude.

What I think is rude is when people send me a meeting invite for a meeting I didn't know about that's to start in 15 minutes....no courtesy of the heads up. Not even a "hey im sorry this is last minute but...."

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

If they start talking to you about a project that you did 2 years ago and assume you have all the documents in front of you just waiting for this moment, YES!