Are the new 4 schools guaranteed entry into the Big 12?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If the Big 12 convinces Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah to join, Washington and Oregon have three options:

1. Hope and pray the B1G has an invite (although I would think unlikely that they would extend invites to Washington State and Oregon State)

2. Ask for an invite to the Big 12 (Not sure if Big 12 would want Washington State and Oregon State but more likely than B1G -- also don't think Washington/Oregon would really have very much leverage at this point)

3. Go down with the ship (Pac 12 will backfill with Mountain West schools and should have a media contract that's far less than the Big 12)

Oh yeah I guess there's an option that they could go independent too I guess lol
Rumor is Fox has told the Big12 Oregon and Washington are off the table. They they would be B1G bound.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I am probably repeating myself, so many pages and posts on this. But i feel pretty strongly this is where we are heading.

Separation is coming. 24 team superleague, as the power brands of the B1G and SEC break off their FB teams to do their own NFL lite type league and championship

Big12 should add just about everyone possible, so as to be the obvious leader in charge of setting up the Division 2 league. Grab/merge/ally with the Pac now. The ACC leftovers when its time comes. And finally, the B1G and SEC teams that dont get invited to the superleague party.

Dont think in terms of the conference, think in terms of creating and running the next league. Yormark, JP, Mack Rhoades, etc are smart leaders, and i hope this is their vision.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I am probably repeating myself, so many pages and posts on this. But i feel pretty strongly this is where we are heading.

Separation is coming. 24 team superleague, as the power brands of the B1G and SEC break off their FB teams to do their own NFL lite type league and championship

Big12 should add just about everyone possible, so as to be the obvious leader in charge of setting up the Division 2 league. Grab/merge/ally with the Pac now. The ACC leftovers when its time comes. And finally, the B1G and SEC teams that dont get invited to the superleague party.

Dont think in terms of the conference, think in terms of creating and running the next league. Yormark, JP, Mack Rhoades, etc are smart leaders, and i hope this is their vision.
At 24 teams this never happens without 'built-in' league parity options (eg equal representation in all league decisions, NIL limit, transfer board draft, no inter-conference transfers, etc).

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Washington legislature has already announced it will introduce a bill to tie Washington and WSU together. Not sure when or if it will pass. Have heard nothing about Oregon. This would be bad for the B12, imo, as it might keep the P12 alive.
I think this is bad for Washington that's about it. I don't think the B12 should add both wash schools... I think you add the teams willing to come that you want to take. I feel bad for OSU/WSU but the reality is I don't think you go beyond 16 unless it's wash/oregon on their own. I believe oregon (possibly wash) goes tot he b10 at some point. I would not take them with the expectation that they last. With that in mind, you can't take WSU/OSU knowing that there is significant risk that they will be left behind if wash/oregon leave (b10 only takes the top two).

So, I would take the 4 to get to 16 (if you can get them). Then wait to see best options to get to 20. In the short term, that may mean you have a small conf (wash/wsu/oreg/osu/stan/cal + a few mw teams - boise in football? zags in bb? not sure) but I don't think it lasts and becomes even less relevant after ore/wash leave.

In 5 yrs you could have SEC/B10 and B12 all making more money (significantly more) than the ACC (since their deal is terrible). If all (or most) of the schools have a landing spot outside the conf (unc / uva / gt / duke? pitt? to the b10, FSU / clem / miami / vt to the sec, NCSU / Pitt? Louisville? syracuse? to the B12) you could get homes for 10 - 12 or so schools in conf making more money and I think even a team like memphis is actually more interesting at that point to pare with those left overs then osu/wsu.... so, wouldn't want to be extended that far west for limited value if you can get some more attractive combinations once the acc disbands.

I don't know how many votes they need to disband the conf. But if 10 or 12 teams have a better option maybe that will be enough to end the conf, get out of the gor well before 2036.

Reactions: agentbear

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think this is bad for Washington that's about it. I don't think the B12 should add both wash schools... I think you add the teams willing to come that you want to take. I feel bad for OSU/WSU but the reality is I don't think you go beyond 16 unless it's wash/oregon on their own. I believe oregon (possibly wash) goes tot he b10 at some point. I would not take them with the expectation that they last. With that in mind, you can't take WSU/OSU knowing that there is significant risk that they will be left behind if wash/oregon leave (b10 only takes the top two).

So, I would take the 4 to get to 16 (if you can get them). Then wait to see best options to get to 20. In the short term, that may mean you have a small conf (wash/wsu/oreg/osu/stan/cal + a few mw teams - boise in football? zags in bb? not sure) but I don't think it lasts and becomes even less relevant after ore/wash leave.

In 5 yrs you could have SEC/B10 and B12 all making more money (significantly more) than the ACC (since their deal is terrible). If all (or most) of the schools have a landing spot outside the conf (unc / uva / gt / duke? pitt? to the b10, FSU / clem / miami / vt to the sec, NCSU / Pitt? Louisville? syracuse? to the B12) you could get homes for 10 - 12 or so schools in conf making more money and I think even a team like memphis is actually more interesting at that point to pare with those left overs then osu/wsu.... so, wouldn't want to be extended that far west for limited value if you can get some more attractive combinations once the acc disbands.

I don't know how many votes they need to disband the conf. But if 10 or 12 teams have a better option maybe that will be enough to end the conf, get out of the gor well before 2036.
The whole future argument for the ACC's bad long term contract is fascinating. Looking at it from the ACC's perspective, at some point members will start threatening to bail if the media contract is not renegotiated. And that time, due to recent events, is moving up rapidly. I wouldn't be surprised if all ACC members are on different pages now and all negotiating for survival mode.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
If ND announces they’re going to the B1G…that triggers the SEC/ESPN to make a move on their assets in the ACC to consolidate their inventory. That will end the ACC GOR, and the B1G will be looking for eastern schools.

If ND stays independent, I think more likely than not the B1G stays at 16 to match the SEC. UO/UW would be hanging out to dry. I still think they’re being played.

If we ultimately wanted to get UO and UW, it might be wise for the Big 12 to announce only two now to get up to 16 (AZ/ASU)…technically since OuT is still in through 2025. Up’s the pressure on the PAC without fully destroying it, and not giving the B1G any quick immediacy to add PAC teams. For money, backfilling in two for the PAC is going to be hard, backfilling four even harder.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I like the idea of taking arizona schools with colorado and utah. I wouldnt mind taking memphis with their fedex backing and soon-to-be infrastructure enhancements. Can we trade WVU for Louisville?
Fed ex donates something like 2-4 MN to the conference. With 16-20 teams, that means 100-200k each. Why do people think this is such a great deal? Penny wise pound foolish.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Has there been any talk about BYU's feelings on adding Utah? I know they've had a history of not getting along, but would BYU vote against, and do we care if they did?

I assume the Big12 will know their plan after meeting with Arizona this week. The real question is whether the 4 PAC schools would leave now or if they'd wait until Washington and Oregon make a move. I personally don't see the PAC being viable with SDSU and BSU added, but they might.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis

That is the opposite of what the Big 12 should do. They should position themselves to be the 3rd best conference in D1. Make sure they have plenty of open seats for the CFP and make sure they have a TV contract that is equal or better than what the B12 teams have today.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The teams that don’t get invited will be similar to what we have or worse. Do we want Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Mississippi state?

We take 4 now, 2-4 from the ACC demise and then enough of the big ten and sec remnants to go to 24 when the blue bloods leave. That leaves a crapshow behind us with the remaining teams scrambling. At best, they would equal us but probably manage to mess things up out of panic and we would still be #3. We need to be forward looking and calculated.

• Haha
Reactions: criticalobserver

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That’s with Oklahoma State on board. Take Oklahoma State out of the SEC gets weird. take the next top four revenue generating big 12 schools add them to the Pac-10 and that is a better product than anything the big 12 could put together.

Where is all of this “Ok St is the lynchpin holding the B11 together” stuff coming from?

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Fed ex donates something like 2-4 MN to the conference. With 16-20 teams, that means 100-200k each. Why do people think this is such a great deal? Penny wise pound foolish.

“We should really get Memphis & Louisville” as we wave goodbye to major state schools in the second fastest growing region of the United States. Who else is on board!?!?!?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Has there been any talk about BYU's feelings on adding Utah? I know they've had a history of not getting along, but would BYU vote against, and do we care if they did?

I assume the Big12 will know their plan after meeting with Arizona this week. The real question is whether the 4 PAC schools would leave now or if they'd wait until Washington and Oregon make a move. I personally don't see the PAC being viable with SDSU and BSU added, but they might.

I hope the Big 12 doesn't give a **** if BYU doesn't want Utah in.

Also, legislatures always claim to want schools to stay together, but they never hold them to it.

• Agree
Reactions: CoKane

kcbob79clone

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
The Top 48 will become a joke if it cuts itself off from everyone else while keeping teams like Vandy and Rutgers but leaving out teams like Notre Dame (possibly), Okie State and Iowa State. I think the B10 and SEC know that. Fox and ESPN know that too. There also needs to be a way for certain teams to move up in 10-20 years (like UCF). So we will continue to have around 100 teams in D1. We are seeing a move from a P5 to a P2/P3 purely as a way for the elite teams to grab a bigger share of the TV revenue. I don't think they will be creating their own league. That would be too much of a power grab and would cause the courts and state legislatures to get involved.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think we grab Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah.

Maybe Oregon and Washington fall into our lap if they don't really have another viable option.

Then when the ACC blows up, we will grab some of the leftovers (probably like Pitt, Louisville, etc.). Then WVU will get some of their rivals back, and we'll have a pretty solid conference coast-to-coast.
I align with this scenario as the best for the Big 12 survival ISU.
I also think this is the best case for the media companies to keep 4 major conferences instead of deciding on 2 power semi-pro leagues being the SEC/B1G.
Adding Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah. and with the blessing of Fox gives the B12 the ability to sell content spread out over all the time slots 11AM-11PM regionally. For local markets that would be beneficial That is something the SEC/ACC cant offer. Right now Fox needs to pay both PAC12/Big 12 for the rights merging them allows them to save money and still fill their programming. The new Big 12 can sign a new media rights for 1.5 the amount split 16 ways maybe 60-70 mil per well below the B10/ACC but more then viable for ISU to pay for the Athletic Dept facilities/ coaches. As long as there is a path to the College FB playoff ISU can continue to build.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That is the opposite of what the Big 12 should do. They should position themselves to be the 3rd best conference in D1. Make sure they have plenty of open seats for the CFP and make sure they have a TV contract that is equal or better than what the B12 teams have today.
I would agree with you if I thought the football only Superleague wouldn't happen. Then, yes, being the clear 3rd best conference with about 16 teams, and leaving the Pac12 (and eventually ACC) as hollowed shells of their former selves, would be the right play. I just don't think that is how it will shake out.

I don't think this ends until ESPN/Fox get their Superleague. And I think it will happen sooner than people think - say by 2030. So get big now (20-24 teams) and have a plan in hand for when the Superleague Rapture happens and Bama, Ohio St, et al are spirited away. Then you are the legitimate option to lead the new Tier 2 order of "real" college football. CFA2.0 with offices in Kansas City, and Yormark as Commissioner.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
1 - The fastest way to kill the Big 12 is to start rescinding invites and being jerks.

2 - People really need to realize in the grand scheme of things we’re not really a whole lot bigger or better than a Houston, Cincy, etc. We may be a bit better in certain ways, but not in what we bring ti a conference.
Exactly. I’m really not sure why suddenly we’re being snobs after what we’ve been through last year and what we went through 10 years ago. It sucks being kicked out and potentially being on the outside.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Hey PAC 12, karma sure is a *****, isn't she?