Are the new 4 schools guaranteed entry into the Big 12?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
1 - The fastest way to kill the Big 12 is to start rescinding invites and being jerks.

2 - People really need to realize in the grand scheme of things we’re not really a whole lot bigger or better than a Houston, Cincy, etc. We may be a bit better in certain ways, but not in what we bring ti a conference.

ISUFB8

Mar 23, 2006
I completely agree that booting people from the league isn’t the nicest thing to do, but given what we’ve heard about the new commissioner I just started thinking of what’s potentially on the table. I don’t think it’s the nice thing to do to WVU and UCF, but from a power move/consolidation of power adding Washington and Oregon over WVU and UCF makes sense. You also keep enough kids-level talent to take the L’s in the league and get 1-2 teams into the expanded college playoff.

BL: I hope the big xii is aggressive and makes a play to expand and go on the offensive this summer.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Washington legislature has already announced it will introduce a bill to tie Washington and WSU together. Not sure when or if it will pass. Have heard nothing about Oregon. This would be bad for the B12, imo, as it might keep the P12 alive.

Firstly though, a few random legislators means nothing. You see this for bills all the time that don't necessarily have a chance of passing.

Secondly, reading one of the articles, i see this quote

“There’s a movement afoot to emphasize that the public and taxpayers do not want public Pac-12 universities split from each other. The effort, if successful, would keep OSU-Oregon together and WSU-Washington together.”

If all this amounts to is a message "emphasizing" public desire and not actual firm law, it is meaningless even if passed. They would just say, accurately, "we'd love to keep the schools together, but it was either get one on a life raft or let both drown".

ISUguy

Prime Сasual Dating - Authentic Ladies
Jun 27, 2006
I completely agree that booting people from the league isn’t the nicest thing to do, but given what we’ve heard about the new commissioner I just started thinking of what’s potentially on the table. I don’t think it’s the nice thing to do to WVU and UCF, but from a power move/consolidation of power adding Washington and Oregon over WVU and UCF makes sense. You also keep enough kids-level talent to take the L’s in the league and get 1-2 teams into the expanded college playoff.

BL: I hope the big xii is aggressive and makes a play to expand and go on the offensive this summer.
I don't think we will or should kick anyone out. I do think WV is a bad fit and always has been, and I believe if given the chance to move to the ACC, they likely would.

Having said that, I do wonder how long before the Big 10 and the SEC find a way to exclude the weaker members. A fair argument is why should the Vanderbilts get the same revenue as Alabama? Not sure of the legality of it, but I don't find it impossible.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think we will or should kick anyone out. I do think WV is a bad fit and always has been, and I believe if given the chance to move to the ACC, they likely would.

Having said that, I do wonder how long before the Big 10 and the SEC find a way to exclude the weaker members. A fair argument is why should the Vanderbilts get the same revenue as Alabama? Not sure of the legality of it, but I don't find it impossible.

WVU is weird in that theyre a poor geographic fit, but they fit well culturally in the big 12. More than they would with many of the ACC schools.

That being said, i seriously doubt they'd jump into the ACC right now if they could. The writing is on the wall for the ACC. Its dead as soon as that GoR expires. They might enjoy the ACC for 10 years, but they arent getting brought along into the Big 10 or SEC with FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, etc.

But if the Big 12 ends up adding teams like Louisville and Pitt to the mix when the ACC gets picked apart, WVU might be even happier in the big 12.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
No. Hell UCF has more value than we do. We need to keep BYU on board. Hope the B10 take Stanford which will kill the PAC12. Then we invite the rest.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Why take both Arizonas or Utah where we already have a footprint?

This thread is full of parrots.
Utah would be one of the best schools we can add, regardless of their location. We aren’t going to make more money with just one Arizona school than we would with two… soo why not strengthen the conference and get to 16+ like the B1G/SEC?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hope the B10 take Stanford which will kill the PAC12. Then we invite the rest.

This is probably the best chance for a scenario where the big 12 gets Oregon\Washington

Though if the existing P12 members including those 2 are determined to limp along with some MWC additions, i'm not sure Stanford changes that math all that much for them. Stanford has a well known brand, academic prowess, and a ton of success in the non-revenue sports, but they aren't necessarily a huge TV draw. They bring like 30-40k to their games, and I can't imagine their TV draw is huge based on that

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I still think the B12 might be more fragile than the PAC12 at this point. What if SEC invites Oklahoma St? At that point we are the leftovers. Anyone with a pulse left goes to the PAC12. We get stuck with six or so schools and look to add teams like Memphis and are on par with and AAC at that point. I’m not playing doomsday or saying this is the most likely scenario. But it’s a scenario.
This new commissioner is basically going to make or break the conference at this point. If serious calls haven’t already been made to half the PAC12, we’re probably ******.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
I still think the B12 might be more fragile than the PAC12 at this point. What if SEC invites Oklahoma St? At that point we are the leftovers. Anyone with a pulse left goes to the PAC12. We get stuck with six or so schools and look to add teams like Memphis and are on par with and AAC at that point. I’m not playing doomsday or saying this is the most likely scenario. But it’s a scenario.
This new commissioner is basically going to make or break the conference at this point. If serious calls haven’t already been made to half the PAC12, we’re probably ******.
Except; at this point; OkSt has a guaranteed paycheck. Go to the Pac, not so much!

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Why if
Washington legislature has already announced it will introduce a bill to tie Washington and WSU together. Not sure when or if it will pass. Have heard nothing about Oregon. This would be bad for the B12, imo, as it might keep the P12 alive.
Why would the 2 Arizona schools, Utah, and Colorado care? The pac is dead.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
No. Hell UCF has more value than we do. We need to keep BYU on board. Hope the B10 take Stanford which will kill the PAC12. Then we invite the rest.
Was with you until you said we needed to take the rest. Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State add nothing

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
1 - The fastest way to kill the Big 12 is to start rescinding invites and being jerks.

2 - People really need to realize in the grand scheme of things we’re not really a whole lot bigger or better than a Houston, Cincy, etc. We may be a bit better in certain ways, but not in what we bring ti a conference.
Lucky we already have those teams locked down. The Pac could have just as easy picked say BYU, Houston, Boise, and possibly a couple existing big12 teams. Those 4 teams and central time zone were the difference between us being in the same shoes as OSU, WSU, Stanford, and Cal.