Appears we open up @TCU on Sept. 26

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
How so? Aren't they interacting with more people by playing football and practicing?
I am remembering my days as a student.

In this case, the players will be structured into spending large portions of their day with other people who are regularly tested and quarantined if they test positive. Including the opposing teams.

Plus a full health support system in place.

Versus spending all their time hanging out with tons of people who aren’t regularly tested, and may well be infected and asymptomatic.

With no health support or supervision beyond a nineteen or twenty-year-old’s common sense about going to Student Dea—, er, Student Health.

Or in some extremes, to follow Trevor Lawrence’s tweet, some kids would be back home on their own, with no support whatsoever.

Just my opinion, but I’m gonna call the former the “safer” of the three options.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I am remembering my days as a student.

In this case, the players will be structured into spending large portions of their day with other people who are regularly tested and quarantined if they test positive. Including the opposing teams.

Plus a full health support system in place.

Versus spending all their time hanging out with tons of people who aren’t regularly tested, and may well be infected and asymptomatic.

With no health support or supervision beyond a nineteen or twenty-year-old’s common sense about going to Student Dea—, er, Student Health.

Or in some extremes, to follow Trevor Lawrence’s tweet, some kids would be back home on their own, with no support whatsoever.

Just my opinion, but I’m gonna call the former the “safer” of the three options.

Why would they hangout with tons of people who aren't being tested?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The Big 12's TV deal is with ESPN and Fox. There's a contract. The contract has terms. The Big 12 will get the money guaranteed in the contract.

The other leagues could be at risk of losing their revenue by not playing, but that doesn't mean the leftover/extra money just automatically goes to the Big 12.

Contracts. The Big XII has certain contractual obligations to fill. Anything beyond that would mean additional compensation.

It should, anyway. Depends on how the contract is written.

In any case, the Big XII would be getting a whole bunch more exposure.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Contracts. The Big XII has certain contractual obligations to fill. Anything beyond that would mean additional compensation.

Yes, the contracts are for "X" amount of games. Not the whole load. Why we have ESPN+, those are the leftovers so to speak. Those would demand more money.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010

In a season that will have less content due to the B1G and PAC not playing, content is more valuable.

Would the league be able to secure at least pro-rata increases for an extra game if the league added Neb for content? sure. BYU? That's a lot more questionable because ESPN has them wrapped up for a lot less, but then again who is BYU going to play this year without an agreement with a league like the Big 12?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Sure but how does playing football or not playing football impact hanging out with your friends?
I read it as an implication that general students will not have the multiple tests per week, will not have the special considerations and will probably be meeting and hanging with other students who are also not in the special considerations category. The general student population is much more at risk of getting and transmitting than a somewhat controlled student athlete.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Because college students? I thought that was a pretty easy answer.

I realize there are nerds who spend all their times in their dorm rooms hooked up to video games, but in my experience football players tend to be a bit more...gregarious.

There are these things called “bars”, you see. And “parties”. There are girls there. It’s kind of a thing with college.

One only has to look at the details of COVID-19 numbers to see that young people like to go to beaches, parties and bars.

And, at the extreme of “no football, no school”, some of these kids are going to be out there working wherever they can find a job. Good luck to them. I’d rather they were in school, building their future.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I read it as an implication that general students will not have the multiple tests per week, will not have the special considerations and will probably be meeting and hanging with other students who are also not in the special considerations category. The general student population is much more at risk of getting and transmitting than a somewhat controlled student athlete.

Are athletes not allowed to interact with the rest of the student popluation? Ever?

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Bowl games are not important in the grand scheme of things. TV money is the main priority if we're being honest. Conference championships would be legitimate. If ACC/SEC/Big 12 play, you can have a playoff and a national champion.

The Sugar Bowl is important at $40M a year. I'm not sure if the Sugar Bowl was scheduled this year though due to the CFP rotation.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Because college students? I thought that was a pretty easy answer.

I realize there are nerds who spend all their times in their dorm rooms hooked up to video games, but in my experience football players tend to be a bit more...gregarious.

There are these things called “bars”, you see. And “parties”. There are girls there. It’s kind of a thing with college.

One only has to look at the details of COVID-19 numbers to see that young people like to go to beaches, parties and bars.

And, at the extreme of “no football, no school”, some of these kids are going to be out there working wherever they can find a job. Good luck to them. I’d rather they were in school, building their future.

Why would they not be in school if football was canceled?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

There will still be the 45 conference games, as usual. So that's a wash.

By eliminating two weeks of non-conference games, the conference's inventory is short by about 15-16 games.

The question then becomes whether or not schools will be able to retain their one non-conference game for this year, or if those 10 games end up going back into the general selection pool. However, those games are mostly less desirable because they're against FCS teams (so far, only 2 Big 12 schools have announced an FBS opponent). For example, is Houston Baptist/Texas Tech really an FS1- or ESPNU-type game, even given the dearth of P5 games on Sept. 12?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The same reason couches got lit on fire at VIESHA.

College kids are idiots.

Not like bad at life, they just make stupid decisions.

I would certainly agree with that. College students make bad decisions all the time. I don't believe playing football is going to stop them from making bad decisions.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Do college students come with labels that say whether they’re being tested?

If there are no sports, if there is no college football, I’m not sure how you think any college students would be tested regularly. Perhaps I’m missing something. Definitely not three times a week.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron