Anyone had a root canal lately?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Having my first one tomorrow. Not really nervous, just wondering what to expect. Will I be able to go back to work immediately afterwards?

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
They are awesome!!

Candy bar! Candy bar!

Check Little shop of horrors for those who don't get it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKYQjpDtpA]YouTube - Little Shop Of Horror - Steve Martin vs. Bill Murray[/ame]

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I had one a couple years ago, left work in the morning, went to the Endodontist, then came back to work. If your in as much pain as I was before I had mine done, you'll actually feel alot better afterward. I don't think they are as bad as people say, I've had worse dental procedures.

One thing though, make sure they put you on antibiotics. I went to straight to the endodontist cause I was in pain and never had any prescribed, and I got a terrible sinus infection like an hour after my root canal.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
No but I've been watching ISU for 20 years now....I think I know what pain is!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I had one a couple years ago, left work in the morning, went to the Endodontist, then came back to work. If your in as much pain as I was before I had mine done, you'll actually feel alot better afterward. I don't think they are as bad as people say, I've had worse dental procedures.

One thing though, make sure they put you on antibiotics. I went to straight to the endodontist cause I was in pain and never had any prescribed, and I got a terrible sinus infection like an hour after my root canal.
Yeah, I am in a lot of pain now, anxious for it to be over. I've been swallowing Advil like it's candy. They gave me some Lortabs but said I couldn't drink alcohol with it so f--- that. They put me on antibiotics a week before the procedure, so hopefully I'm good there.

CydLiner

Nov 13, 2009
Ankeny
Not bad at all. I've had 2 within the last 5 years (apparently a hockey stick to the face can cause nerve damage and roots to die years later).

The 2nd one I went in for, I actually fell asleep and took a little nap while they were working. The assistant/nurse was laughing when she woke me up to tell me it was over.

Reactions: Broodwich

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
They're not really painful, just long, uncomfortable and annoying. The tooth is already dead if you need one, so there is not the usual pain associated with drilling. As others have said, you'll feel a lot better after it is over.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Had one last month on a very far back molar. Three trips to finish. Three roots to traverse. No real pain just the darn water dam. Two ninety minute ones and one 30 minute. $1000. Lots of s-rays to make sure he was drilling properly. Just patience.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Just had mine last November. Not bad: make sure the dentist make you numb and don't hesitate to tell him/her if you still feel the pain.

Boony

Dec 14, 2007
Boone River
I've had 3. Its about like getting a cavity filled, only it takes longer. They do break out the heavy strength Novacaine for root canals so the shot is slightly more intense and you will be more numb for a longer time. They also put a rubber seal around the tooth to keep it sterile, its about the size of a quarter or larger so it seems huge and made it slightly hard to breathe the first time till I got used to it. Also they will try to get you to put a crown on that tooth later. Hey- just have fun with it!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had one done a few years. I got home and it hurt like no other. I went back the next morning, they took out the temporary filling and took one of those tiny little files and stuck it in one of the canals that had the dead nerve. Well the nerve wasn't dead. They had given me no novocaine beforehand. Friggen dentist laughed. Should have strapped his lard butt in the chair!! If I had claws I would have been stuck to the ceiling like a cat. Worst dentist experience ever!!

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Yeah, I am in a lot of pain now, anxious for it to be over. I've been swallowing Advil like it's candy. They gave me some Lortabs but said I couldn't drink alcohol with it so f--- that. They put me on antibiotics a week before the procedure, so hopefully I'm good there.
People always talk about how painful root canals are but if you are in pain you will be happy to have one. I have had a couple and have been in pain prior. very relieved to get the root canal. The post root canal pain is up to what you can handle. It will throb a little but I have always gone back to work

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
They're not bad - I had one a couple of summers ago. I have jaw problems, which was the source of most of my discomfort - they numb you up so much that you don't feel anything.

Good luck!

Last edited:

puckwarrior

Aug 31, 2006
QC
I had one a few months ago, and it did hurt less when it was done than before they performed it so that was a good thing. Unfortunately about 2 weeks later it was hurting very bad and I went back and they had to do it again because an abcess had formed in the root area. They said it is rare, but ocassionally the small file will pack the filings in the root area and cause a problem. So if it starts to hurt again, don't wait as long as I did because it hurt like crazy for a couple of days after the 2nd one.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Not too bad, but I was happy to not have to go back in to work after.