Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
I appreciate what Fred did for Iowa State and hold no ill will towards him for leaving and chasing his dreams in the NBA. If he wants to come back and does, I'll be really happy and excited to see Hoiball 2.0.

If Fred stays at Nebraska, I think it's likely that part of the fan base will hold it against whoever the next coach is that they aren't Fred, especially with the rumors flying about him wanting to come back in '19 and now.
I think if a new coach comes in and starts showing signs of improvement and winning games, they’ll be happy. People are going to miss successful coaches, that’s unavoidable. If Campbell left tomorrow of course we’d all miss him. But the easiest way for a coach to get the fanbase to move past that is to win games. Prohm obviously is not doing that now.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If Fred stays at Nebraska, I think it's likely that part of the fan base will hold it against whoever the next coach is that they aren't Fred, especially with the rumors flying about him wanting to come back in '19 and now.
What are you basing this on? This seems like projection.

It’s pretty simple. A coach as good or better than Hoiberg will be loved as much or more than Hoiberg. A coach like Prohm that isn’t as good as Hoiberg will not be liked as much as Hoiberg. You could replace Hoiberg and Prohm’s names with any.

To think that comparison is not standard everywhere is being really weird about Hoiberg.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
What are you basing this on? This seems like projection.

It’s pretty simple. A coach as good or better than Hoiberg will be loved as much or more than Hoiberg. A coach like Prohm that isn’t as good as Hoiberg will not be liked as much as Hoiberg. You could replace Hoiberg and Prohm’s names with any.

To think that comparison is not standard everywhere is being really weird about Hoiberg.
There's a difference between missing a successful coach and having 100+ page threads most of which are about how said coach is gonna return to save the program again. I would love that to be the case and will be very excited if Fred returns because it will breathe life into the program again. I'm also willing to give the next coach a fair shot if it's not Fred.

From my perspective there was an extra narrative around Fred as coach given he's from Ames, and played at Iowa State that has given him a nigh-untouchable status for some fans (take my mom or old boss as an example), and my worry is that any coach other than Fred will get unwarranted pressure, especially if Fred turns Nebraska around.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
There's a difference between missing a successful coach and having 100+ page threads most of which are about how said coach is gonna return to save the program again. I would love that to be the case and will be very excited if Fred returns because it will breathe life into the program again. I'm also willing to give the next coach a fair shot if it's not Fred.

From my perspective there was an extra narrative around Fred as coach given he's from Ames, and played at Iowa State that has given him a nigh-untouchable status for some fans (take my mom or old boss as an example), and my worry is that any coach other than Fred will get unwarranted pressure, especially if Fred turns Nebraska around.
Don’t resort to hyperbole.

But ignoring that, it’s very reasonable to have a discussion right now about whether one of the most successful coaches in program history that rebuilt the program recently is attainable. To think otherwise is your Fred ex-lover syndrome is showing. If LE had not ended his time here like he did, and was younger, you better believe he would have been discussed after Morgan. (He still was). Particularly when it’s well known there’s some level of interest. It’s certainly way more logical than many of the names mentioned.

Again, what are you basing this “unwarranted” pressure fear on? Not even Prohm had unwarranted pressure. There’s always pressure to maintain or match the level of success desired by fans. And fans want that success we had. It’s not Hoiberg, it’s Hoiberg’s success.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Don’t resort to hyperbole.

But ignoring that, it’s very reasonable to have a discussion right now about whether one of the most successful coaches in program history that rebuilt the program recently is attainable. To think otherwise is your Fred ex-lover syndrome is showing. If LE had not ended his time here like he did, and was younger, you better believe he would have been discussed after Morgan. Particularly when it’s well known there’s some level of interest.
I suppose I don't have any sources or claim to. If it truly is well known I'm happy to take the L. I'm a bit too young to have been on similar boards following a successful coach leaving means I may be completely wrong on things.

Here's hoping no matter how it shakes out we're discussing how far the team can go as opposed to who's gonna be the next coach. Go Clones.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I suppose I don't have any sources or claim to. If it truly is well known I'm happy to take the L. I'm a bit too young to have been on similar boards following a successful coach leaving means I may be completely wrong on things.

Here's hoping no matter how it shakes out we're discussing how far the team can go as opposed to who's gonna be the next coach. Go Clones.
Do you think had it been reversed, that Prohm was 2010-15 and Hoiberg the one to be 2015-2021 and have two 20 loss seasons, and Prohm was in Lincoln and not doing well in year 2, there wouldn’t be the same discussion? That there wouldn’t be people wanting him back?

It’s not Hoiberg. It’s Hoiberg’s success and coaching. That’s normal and happens everywhere. IU fans compare Miller to Crean, and crean isn’t a beloved figure there

Reactions: cyatheart

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Do you think had it been reversed, that Prohm was 2010-15 and Hoiberg the one to be 2015-2021 and have two 20 loss seasons, and Prohm was in Lincoln and not doing well in year 2, there wouldn’t be the same discussion? That there wouldn’t be people wanting him back?

It’s not Hoiberg. It’s Hoiberg’s success and coaching. That’s normal and happens everywhere. IU fans compare Miller to Crean, and crean isn’t a beloved figure there
Like I said, most of my life Iowa State hasn't had successful coaches in football or MBB so I'm new to this whole thing. I'm happy to admit I could be wrong.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
but I can't see us helping with the buyout, because we aren't getting another coach with Fred's background.

This is the snag for me wrt Hoiberg returning. Just hard for me to see Nebraska budging on that after making that big of a hire/commitment then having to start over again after two years. Who knows what’ll happen.

Reactions: Jayshellberg

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
One can only hope for winning and to erase the shadow of Fred.

Maybe the memory was too recent, winning in year 1 & 2 didn’t seem subdue the Prohm critics.

Right or wrong the expectations were higher than what those teams actually achieved and the "Hoiberg guys" narrative was always around.

I think he had a chance to really change the narrative in 2017 but it kind of fell apart

• Agree
Reactions: EarthIsMan

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This is the snag for me wrt Hoiberg returning. Just hard for me to see Nebraska budging on that after making that big of a hire/commitment then having to start over again after two years. Who knows what’ll happen.

Nebraska would force Iowa State to pay penalty. In addition to pay Prohm’s buyout. Dont see us going that route despite the claim that there are Donors willing to pay the buyout. Fred coming back would be risky. Fred has well known health issues. Fred has not had a successful coaching season in years. Not sure whom JP will choose. But we know that Steve Prohm is not the answer. We are 5 years into the Prohm Era. Nice Dumpster Fire Prohm. We totally suck.

Reactions: Scott34

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Fred and Jamie went on KXNO to refute it. Fred says (paraphrasing), “I talked to Travis earlier this week and told him it wasn’t true and not to run the story.” But in the article, it says “Hoiberg wasn’t available for comment.”

Reading between the lines: Hoiberg was almost certainly one of the anonymous sources. He had some peeves, and was trying to shift some of the heat he was feeling to Pollard. When it blew up, he walked it back.

The salary complaint was that he signed a 10-year contract and JP used the average to say he was in the top X of coaches in the Big 12 when his actual salary for the year was 8th or 9th in conference.

This is exactly what it was, and I still can't believe that people don't understand this. Hines article was accurate. Fred had to save face for the ISU basketball program once he realized how bad the article was.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska would force Iowa State to pay penalty. In addition to pay Prohm’s buyout. Dont see us going that route despite the claim that there are Donors willing to pay the buyout. Fred coming back would be risky. Fred has well known health issues. Fred has not had a successful coaching season in years. Not sure whom JP will choose. But we know that Steve Prohm is not the answer. We are 5 years into the Prohm Era. Nice Dumpster Fire Prohm. We totally suck.
Agree. If we have donors willing to throw that kind of money around I'd rather see it go to Hilton renovations.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
One can only hope for winning and to erase the shadow of Fred.

Maybe the memory was too recent, winning in year 1 & 2 didn’t seem subdue the Prohm critics.
It was apparent early on that Prohm was not a very good coach. Poor in bounds plays, virtually no screening out on rebounds and a very unimaginative offense (just to name a few things). The talent level he inherited helped to mask those deficiencies for a while but now that the talent level is lower those problems are more evident.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It was probably for the better the Applebees Coaches Show shifted from callers to more interview format....but can you imagine the entertainment value that would have had this year if it allowed callers?
"Hey John, Coach Prohm....wasnt able to watch cause couldn't find ESPN+ on my channel changer, but heard you were nice enough to let the other teams manager get some playing time....thats why I like you, you are nice....also, what can you tell me about Fred Hoiberg as a replacement option if you leave?"

It'd be so painfully entertaining, lol