Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
And a large part of that, now, are these “disagreements”. Some people just don’t have great working relationships, and when that’s with your potential boss, interest is diminished........Even without Jamie, that may not be running back Hoiball, but with Jamie being Jamie it certainly isn’t.......

What disagreements with JP are you referring to?

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
It's part of message boards and have been for 25 years. I don't get why people get so bent out of shape about it.
Its also how the world works. I would be disappointied if pollard didnt have multiple candidates he was reaching out to. None of this stuff is set in stone yet. It is entirely feasible that some donors are willing to pay freds buyout, some are willing to pay for TJ, and that there are behind the scenes conversations happening with all parties to find a deal that works.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What disagreements with JP are you referring to?
A death by a thousand paper cuts, although there’s some tangible ones that have been mentioned before.

The best way to summarize it is high major basketball programs are very demanding, often with successful head coaches with tremendous power within the athletic department and greater university community, and the AD nearly answering to them. That aspect plus Fred, the Mayor, is going to lead to disagreements here.
Budget constraints, staffing, disciplinary, etc. Not why Fred left, but it could be why he doesn’t return.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
What I’m hearing.. o_O
tease-gif.gif

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
A death by a thousand paper cuts, although there’s some tangible ones that have been mentioned before.

The best way to summarize it is high major basketball programs are very demanding, often with successful head coaches with tremendous power within the athletic department and greater university community, and the AD nearly answering to them. That aspect plus Fred, the Mayor, is going to lead to disagreements here.
Budget constraints, staffing, disciplinary, etc. Not why Fred left, but it could be why he doesn’t return.
No inside info, just reacting to your post. I'm sure there are going to be egos involved from both sides in this equation. JP would surely have to give some, but this is a great example of where Fred needs to mature as a coach - discipline, or lack thereof, appeared to be a big reason why Fred's final ISU team was starting to come apart at the seams at the end of the year. It's also a key part of rebounding & defense - something Fred would need to add to the repertoire to really rise higher (from where ISU was when he left). Don't know what the facts are re: at least one assistant at the time, but if JP believes someone is underhanded/sleazy, he certainly needs to push Fred on that front.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No inside info, just reacting to your post. I'm sure there are going to be egos involved from both sides in this equation. JP would surely have to give some, but this is a great example of where Fred needs to mature as a coach - discipline, or lack thereof, appeared to be a big reason why Fred's final ISU team was starting to come apart at the seams at the end of the year. It's also a key part of rebounding & defense - something Fred would need to add to the repertoire to really rise higher (from where ISU was when he left). Don't know what the facts are re: at least one assistant at the time, but if JP believes someone is underhanded/sleazy, he certainly needs to push Fred on that front.
There was a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes of that team that caused a lot of what happened on the court. That stuff going on was mostly due to 1 or 2 players (I'm not naming names). Fred allowed too much and it ended up hurting the team in the end.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Wait, so we're excited because TJ can recruit the upper Midwest, and will replace a guy that got Haliburton, Hunter, THT, and Foster?

Regardless of where Prohm's ties were, he had no problem recruiting in general, and no problem getting guys from TJs areas.

The fact that TJ got pretty good talent to ISU during the McD era makes me feel good he can recruit, but I don't think it's going to be head and shoulders better than Prohm's recruiting.
Completely agree when it comes to recruiting top talent. I believe the hope is that the new coach will not completely miss on all the other recruits. If so, that's how future recruiting could be "head and shoulders" better than Prohm's. You are 100% correct on recruiting and landing top talent, I would actually expect a fall off in that area under a new coach.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I don’t think Hoiberg will ever coach here again. But I can’t figure out why so many people are butthurt about him leaving. I hated him leaving ISU but I understood that when the NBA comes calling, especially the Chicago Bulls, and they are going to double your salary - that’s a no brainer opportunity. You HAVE to take it if the NBA was a dream of yours.

People take jobs and ultimately come back to one they liked but didn’t realize how much they liked. Too much sour grapes from too many people.

Also, Hoiberg would be one of a handful of coaches that would immediate ignite interest back in ISU basketball. I’d still rather than a more established coach for Hoiberg-level money, but it would be an absolute home run hire.

This guy gets it. Lots of sour grapes from him leading before. Dwelling on hurt from the past is no way to move forward.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Wait, so we're excited because TJ can recruit the upper Midwest, and will replace a guy that got Haliburton, Hunter, THT, and Foster?

Regardless of where Prohm's ties were, he had no problem recruiting in general, and no problem getting guys from TJs areas.

The fact that TJ got pretty good talent to ISU during the McD era makes me feel good he can recruit, but I don't think it's going to be head and shoulders better than Prohm's recruiting.
He struck gold with Halliburton and THT for sure. Daniyal Robinson ties probably helped there. None of the southern guys he’s been after have really planned out. Tough to bring kids from the south to play in Iowa. Overall I don’t think recruiting has been as good under Prohm as some here believe.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Also with recruits it’s not just about stars, also have to think about how they are going to fit in the system and whether they will be a team player. Is being a winner more important or just getting to the NBA?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
He struck gold with Halliburton and THT for sure. Daniyal Robinson ties probably helped there. None of the southern guys he’s been after have really planned out. Tough to bring kids from the south to play in Iowa. Overall I don’t think recruiting has been as good under Prohm as some here believe.
Prohm has the ability to get top 50 guys. Something that we have never done consistently. But his ability to properly identify quality three star guys is bad. Almost none of those have done anything for the program.

You can win landing only top 50 guys if your Kansas and you get 3 per year. We get one every year and 4 guys that may never see the court to go along with them. Its not good enough.

Reactions: Jer

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Man, I love coaching searches. The absolute crazy amount of theories and changes along the way make it fun. Whether the 'insider' info is ultimately true or not (and whose info is true for that matter), I do appreciate the nuggets, as (again) it makes it fun and a nice distraction.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yes. If you watched the beginning of the game, Nebraska's offense was in sync and it looked very good. Making shots is obviously huge, but if you can consistently get good looks, statistics say you should make them. Nebraska did not and then things ended up spiraling out of control.

Hoiberg kind of cracked this code...

-- build free-flowing offense that generates lots of open jump shots
-- recruit guys who make jump shots, regardless of their other basketball skills

= instant powerhouse offense.

Other teams have put more emphasis on these now, too, though, so Fred has a barer cupboard to work with rather than undervalued assets that fit into his system. Nebraska is hard to recruit to, too, obviously.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron