Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I find it amusing that some of the same posters who completely fell for the Travis Hines "sleeping on luggage" story in which JP was nickel and diming Hoiberg out of town, now believe they are itching to get back working together to the point that almost ten million in owed buyout money is going to be exchanged to make it happen.
There is definitely some “disagreement”, and the relationship between the two is the likely hang-up (not the buyout). Not necessarily a bad relationship but prohibitive to Hoiball 2.0. It’s very common in these situations for there to be conditional interest. If JP wanted it to happen, it could. And that’s why donors are talking.

Reactions: ATCy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes. If you watched the beginning of the game, Nebraska's offense was in sync and it looked very good. Making shots is obviously huge, but if you can consistently get good looks, statistics say you should make them. Nebraska did not and then things ended up spiraling out of control.
I remember my high school coach stressing to us the effort we had to put out on offense to "earn" good shot attempts - to increase our FG %.
Nebraska does not do this - they just jack up shots. Just because a shot is "open" does not mean it's a "good look."

• Winner
Reactions: Lewey24

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
national media will go wtf when we hire tj

some low level coach that hasnt proven anything

locally, fans will rejoice because we got a guy whose married to an isu alum and was an assistant here. woooooooooo

Wasnt TJ just mentioned in a National article on coaches on the hot seat? Prohm being the one on the hot seat.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Ahh the golden boy courtship. Gonna get an eye poked out trying to do that. Fred will just end up with more money, better/bigger contract, elsewhere .... where he should be.
Fred.jpg

Reactions: cyclonehomer

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hoiberg would also have to want it to happen, which he doesn’t.
And a large part of that, now, are these “disagreements”. Some people just don’t have great working relationships, and when that’s with your potential boss, interest is diminished.

Personally, I’m not convinced Fred has the conviction to be anywhere. He wants a better situation than in Lincoln. Even without Jamie, that may not be running back Hoiball, but with Jamie being Jamie it certainly isn’t.

There are many people talking though. You asked before their motive? Imo, it’s partially to holding Jamie accountable. Obviously it’s negotiating tactics too. But don’t jump straight to TJ just because of comfort. Depending on the candidate, there are factions that would help land someone else. And Jamie can always use this murmur of Fred interest when chasing other candidates too.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I remember my high school coach stressing to us the effort we had to put out on offense to "earn" good shot attempts - to increase our FG %.
Nebraska does not do this - they just jack up shots. Just because a shot is "open" does not mean it's a "good look."
I will agree that Nebraska did jack up shots last night. In the beginning they were truly getting good looks though and were just missing them. This has been a problem for Fred there as his teams haven't been great 3 point shooting teams.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the bold lol. An open shot is 100% a good look as long as you have the right person taking the shot.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
I didn’t watch our last two games but I was at the previous two home games. And I will say that our guys played hard. They were diving for loose balls and really trying. I think that when those players are old like me and thinking about the god awful 20 game losing streak, they will at least be able to tell their kids they kept working.
Were you watching Solo?!?! Playing hard and his game don't coincide.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
He could still be in the mix for New Mexico if we fire him. I think that has nothing to do with it.
I disagree. If he is in the mix for another job it would have major buyout implications.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Well from a recruiting and relationship standpoint TJ would be good. He recruits the areas we need to historically to be good. That was always a head scratcher for me on Prohm since most of his recruiting connections are in the south.

Wait, so we're excited because TJ can recruit the upper Midwest, and will replace a guy that got Haliburton, Hunter, THT, and Foster?

Regardless of where Prohm's ties were, he had no problem recruiting in general, and no problem getting guys from TJs areas.

The fact that TJ got pretty good talent to ISU during the McD era makes me feel good he can recruit, but I don't think it's going to be head and shoulders better than Prohm's recruiting.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Wait, so we're excited because TJ can recruit the upper Midwest, and will replace a guy that got Haliburton, Hunter, THT, and Foster?

Regardless of where Prohm's ties were, he had no problem recruiting in general, and no problem getting guys from TJs areas.

The fact that TJ got pretty good talent to ISU during the McD era makes me feel good he can recruit, but I don't think it's going to be head and shoulders better than Prohm's recruiting.
You’re right that Prohm did not have a geographical recruiting problem. He has faults, but in my opinion he could have enjoyed more seasons like 2018-19 had he improved his staff. Frankly, he is too good of guy for this level. Staff changes, players liking him but not always respecting him (on the court), etc.

We’re unlikely to hire anyone that isn’t dependent on having a good to great staff. My personal preference is that we can get recruiting from assistants. We can even get game planning and fundamentals taught from assistants. We cannot get the leadership, lockerroom management, and what many have called “culture” from assistants. Greg knows basketball, he didn’t know how to establish his culture here. Having his son at the then MVC creighton helped! Prohm isn’t Greg as a coach, but he also struggled to get the program to reflect what he wants.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron