Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I expose who my source is all of the time. I don’t care. People think it’s a joke and that’s fine with me. I think people would be astonished how info gets passed on down the line.

I picture grandma gunner as this cute little old lady named Betty or Mary.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
It's my turn on this one.
I've been led to understand that Prohm has a style that lends itself more to road wins than other coaches, like Fred.

He is arguably our most accomplished road coach of all time... despite a 25 game losing streak.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I picture grandma gunner as this cute little old lady named Betty or Mary.

I like to picture grandma gunner in a Tuxedo T-shirt, 'cause it says, like, 'I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party, too.' I like to party, so I like my random coaching hire sources to party.

• Haha
Reactions: cysdaone and jsb

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Bull. What a load of ****. Prohm "starting fresh" in 19/20 is his own fault. He was in year 5. They arent similar at all. Fred took over at Nebraska and had one player in his first year who even played the year before at all. They had 4 senior starters graduate and the rest transfered to schools like indiana hills cc because they werent big 10 caliber players. If prohm had a roster of zero big 12 caliber players in his 4th ******* year that is his ******* fault. You dont seem to understand the nuance at all for claiming to like it. Nebraska has zero basketball tradition. If he wins 1 ncaa game there he will be the greatest coach they have ever had.

Hoiberg jumped into a pit called nebrasketball and hasnt dug out yet, but its looking up, and prohm was handed a mountain and dug himself into a pit, and all you have basically done is say boy those coaches are both in pits. They both suck equally.

Just to be clear - I'm not trying to say Prohm is better than Hoiberg. Yes - the state of ISU's roster is mostly Prohm's fault. That I agree with. However, that's where it ends.

What I am saying is that Hoiberg is performing poorly at Nebraska and we should not make excuses for him.

Nebraska basketball was on the rise under the previous coach. Tim Miles took the pit that was Nebrasketball and filled in a good 2/3 of it. They had gone from laughably pathetic, to just mediocre under his tenure. But their AD didn't feel he could get them over the hump to actually being decent so he fired Miles and brought in Hoiberg. Things have gotten worse under Hoiberg. Yes, the cupboards were bare when he got there. But he also ran off guys that could have helped them avoid embarrassment. It's one thing to encourage players to transfer so you can bring in better players that can help you to win. Instead, he brought in players that led them to 7 wins. Come on. Hoiberg had enough time and resources that he could have brought in enough players to get to at least 10 wins. In the same conditions, Tim Miles never had fewer than 12 wins. And you have to imagine that Miles had plenty of years starting from scratch, plenty of players who were marginal B1G athletes. But he never put together a single digit win year.

If Hoiberg is truly a great coach, he can match Tim Miles' performance. I'm not expecting a miracle here. I'm just saying, don't do significantly worse than the last guy. Yes - Hoiberg does have disadvantages. But Miles had those same disadvantages.

To use your pit metaphor - Prohm was on a mountain and dug a pit. Hoiberg started off in a hole and dug it deeper than it was when he started. Maybe he needed to dig down to bedrock to build a better foundation. Maybe. You all say he's got a good recruiting class coming in, so maybe he turns it around in year 3. But he has a long way to go to even get back to his predecessor's level of mediocrity.

But look, I'm not gonna win anybody over here. If you love Fred Hoiberg, you love him. I'm just saying - please try to look at him with a little objectivity. Personally, I think his performance at Nebraska says he's lost something and is not as good as he was in his days at ISU. If by some miracle he does come back and coach here, I'll give him his shot to turn things around. If he is ever part of ISU athletics again, I'll root for him. But with that, I think I'll bow out of this one.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Just to be clear - I'm not trying to say Prohm is better than Hoiberg. Yes - the state of ISU's roster is mostly Prohm's fault. That I agree with. However, that's where it ends.

What I am saying is that Hoiberg is performing poorly at Nebraska and we should not make excuses for him.

Nebraska basketball was on the rise under the previous coach. Tim Miles took the pit that was Nebrasketball and filled in a good 2/3 of it. They had gone from laughably pathetic, to just mediocre under his tenure. But their AD didn't feel he could get them over the hump to actually being decent so he fired Miles and brought in Hoiberg. Things have gotten worse under Hoiberg. Yes, the cupboards were bare when he got there. But he also ran off guys that could have helped them avoid embarrassment. It's one thing to encourage players to transfer so you can bring in better players that can help you to win. Instead, he brought in players that led them to 7 wins. Come on. Hoiberg had enough time and resources that he could have brought in enough players to get to at least 10 wins. In the same conditions, Tim Miles never had fewer than 12 wins. And you have to imagine that Miles had plenty of years starting from scratch, plenty of players who were marginal B1G athletes. But he never put together a single digit win year.

If Hoiberg is truly a great coach, he can match Tim Miles' performance. I'm not expecting a miracle here. I'm just saying, don't do significantly worse than the last guy. Yes - Hoiberg does have disadvantages. But Miles had those same disadvantages.

To use your pit metaphor - Prohm was on a mountain and dug a pit. Hoiberg started off in a hole and dug it deeper than it was when he started. Maybe he needed to dig down to bedrock to build a better foundation. Maybe. You all say he's got a good recruiting class coming in, so maybe he turns it around in year 3. But he has a long way to go to even get back to his predecessor's level of mediocrity.

But look, I'm not gonna win anybody over here. If you love Fred Hoiberg, you love him. I'm just saying - please try to look at him with a little objectivity. Personally, I think his performance at Nebraska says he's lost something and is not as good as he was in his days at ISU. If by some miracle he does come back and coach here, I'll give him his shot to turn things around. If he is ever part of ISU athletics again, I'll root for him. But with that, I think I'll bow out of this one.
Who else would be at fault for the state of the roster?

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Fred’s “chuck up 3’s” offense honestly doesn’t look that different than Prohm’s offense, except they shoot quicker. No clue why people think that would suddenly work again if Fred came back if it’s not working with Prohm.

Biggest difference is he actually had shooters that could make them. We have not had a three point shooter on team in 3-4 years.

Reactions: BigCyFan

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I expose who my source is all of the time. I don’t care. People think it’s a joke and that’s fine with me. I think people would be astonished how info gets passed on down the line.
Whenever I've shared insider info, it's been from first hand, inside the program, so it's common courtesy to not share who gave you that info. Don't want to burn any bridges!

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I can hear Pollard on the phone with all the message board posters Friday morning... " look, I know Fred lost to our rivals by 40 but it wasn't 50. We can get him for a 10 million buyout to Nebby AND pay him more than Matt makes. It will be awesome next winter in Hilton so let's DO this!"

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Fred’s “chuck up 3’s” offense honestly doesn’t look that different than Prohm’s offense, except they shoot quicker. No clue why people think that would suddenly work again if Fred came back if it’s not working with Prohm.

Fred recruited way better shooters though...and also helped guys become better shooters.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
Biggest difference is he actually had shooters that could make them. We have not had a three point shooter on team in 3-4 years.
I know it’s just year two for him at Nebraska, but they looked pathetic against Iowa. Not a fan of the complete lack of effort on defense. I might be in the minority here, but I’d be a lot happier if we went after a defensive-minded coach like Craig Smith.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Who else would be at fault for the state of the roster?
No one - i.e. things happened that Prohm had no way of anticipating or avoiding. For example - Halliburton's early departure to the NBA, Halliburton's injury last year, Solo's injuries, etc. There are a few things that happened that were just bad luck. Not that TH going to the NBA is bad luck at all - it's great and I'm really happy for him. But it's not something that Prohm would reasonably have planned for. Bad luck has contributed some to the state of the roster. But most of the reason is Prohm's recruiting misses or other issues.