Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't think Fred is coming back here but I'll respond to #1. He already has a track record of leaving one of the most loaded college teams in the country (how many NBA players were on Prohm's first team?) and it was mentioned he told Niang's Mom he would be back and he still left to take the Bulls job.

I've been over Fred leaving for a long time and his tenure with the Bulls and Nebraska leave a lot to be desired about his coaching abilities. He caught lightning in a bottle with the "Transfer U" culture while at ISU and left the cupboards pretty bare for HS recruits when he left. The transfer portal is a different game now than it was when he left. I thought the moment Fred left ISU was the moment he chose the fame and money over an opportunity to establish a legacy at ISU that no one would ever top and possibility to have a statue or some kind of facility or name on something at ISU like Johnny 1 day had he stayed and finished what he had started. Would love to have been a fly on the wall of the Hoiberg residence the day he decided to take the Bulls job and in recent years as surely there is some regret after how things played out.

As for the current situation, I don't see how Prohm keeps his job after this season. I thought coming in even a disappointing season with COVID he would get 1 more year but we are now the doormat of the conference and I don't see how you can sell tickets for next season if he is back. I have barely watched this season and I can't imagine how frustrated I would have been to spend my time and money to drive up and watch this team in person in Hilton under normal circumstances.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I'm open to nuance, I like nuance. But come on. Yes, Hoiberg is facing difficulties at Nebraska. There are a lot of excuses you can make for his bad performance there. But many of those excuses you can make for Prohm's last two years, too. Lost a ton of talent to graduation/NBA from 18-19 to 19-20, pandemic in 20-21. The best returning players we did have in 19-20 were injured. Both Hoiberg and Prohm were basically starting fresh in 19-20 and had to bring in all new players. But we (rightfully) don't cut Prohm a massive break for those circumstances. I'm not willing to cut Hoiberg one either. I'll give him a little more slack than Prohm because he had a shortened recruiting cycle in his first year, but not much.
Bull. What a load of ****. Prohm "starting fresh" in 19/20 is his own fault. He was in year 5. They arent similar at all. Fred took over at Nebraska and had one player in his first year who even played the year before at all. They had 4 senior starters graduate and the rest transfered to schools like indiana hills cc because they werent big 10 caliber players. If prohm had a roster of zero big 12 caliber players in his 4th ******* year that is his ******* fault. You dont seem to understand the nuance at all for claiming to like it. Nebraska has zero basketball tradition. If he wins 1 ncaa game there he will be the greatest coach they have ever had.

Hoiberg jumped into a pit called nebrasketball and hasnt dug out yet, but its looking up, and prohm was handed a mountain and dug himself into a pit, and all you have basically done is say boy those coaches are both in pits. They both suck equally.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't think Fred is coming back here but I'll respond to #1. He already has a track record of leaving one of the most loaded college teams in the country (how many NBA players were on Prohm's first team?) and it was mentioned he told Niang's Mom he would be back and he still left to take the Bulls job.
And this Nebraska team doesn't even care about playing defense. I don't want that back here.

• Disagree
Reactions: jcisuclones

CY05O

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 8, 2015
Not saying anyone is right or wrong but it's unbelievable how many people on this site still don't realize how "sources" work. Yes they can give nuggets but how can they possibly prove it? Post an email from JP? Screenshots from a text? C'mon

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not saying anyone is right or wrong but it's unbelievable how many people on this site still don't realize how "sources" work. Yes they can give nuggets but how can they possibly prove it? Post an email from JP? Screenshots from a text? C'mon
People with sources aren't going to expose who their source is. It's kind of common courtesy to whoever provided the info.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I think Fred caught lightning in a bottle. I also think at some level he was born to coach the Cyclones. He may well crash and burn but count me in on wanting to take the chance and to see him come out to “Let it Rock” and Hilton rocking once again and at that moment thinking “we’re back, baby!”

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Or they are completely full of **** and know nothing.

No way to know...unless you have a history of being right.

Reactions: CY05O

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Pollard is going to tell certain people he's talked with Fred and he wants back in and Nebby is willing to make it happen. Hey I have a bridge for sale on the border to Missouri. Interested?

ask yourself who benefits from starting this little rumor. It isn’t pollard. It isn’t TJ. It sure as hell isn’t prohm.

things that make you wonder.....

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
from Facebook:

The tale of the tape on Steve Prohm:
--Back to back 20 loss seasons
--25 straight road losses (last road win was over 2 years ago
--18-53 record in the B12 the last four years
--Owner of two of the worst three losses in Hilton Coliseum history
--First power conference coach to lose to Florida A&M
It's time. He's got to go. Worst coach in Iowa State history.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
ask yourself who benefits from starting this little rumor. It isn’t pollard. It isn’t TJ. It sure as hell isn’t prohm.

things that make you wonder.....
It's just so laughable. Pollard is very private and long tenured. Like he's going to blabber details of his 2nd most important hire after Matt to some message board participant.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld