Anybody with any coin knowledge around here? (Not chiz coins A-holes)

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
I came across some old coins in some family stuff and I have no idea what any of it is worth. Lots of random nickles, dimes, etc.....

The one I have a question about is this dollar coin from 1898. Can anyone provide some info?

Last edited:

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
^------ This guy (OP)

My wife just got new implants. She thinks they are too big, but I think they are just right. What do you guys think???

Attachments

• broken_image.gif
    broken_image.gif
    1,014 bytes · Views: 452
Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have the same issue, plus a variety of foreign currency my dad must have collected during the war. Guessing lots of other soldiers have money from the South Pacific so it probably isn't worth a ton.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Pictures aren't coming through for me. Is it gold or silver? Maybe a Morgan Silver Dollar?

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I'm not an expert, but have some experience. First, do not clean the coins with any method. This will greatly reduce any value they have above face or spot value. Dimes, quarter dollars, half dollars, and dollar coins prior to 1965 are 90% silver. So, even if common and poor condition they will retain the value of the silver they are made out of. Value above and beyond that will be determined by rarity and condition (like every other collectible out there). Photos that show up will be needed to comment on condition. Rarity can be determined by many sources online or at your library. The mint kept pretty meticulous records of what they produced each year and what they held back and reused in future years.

Anything specific, please post a photo and I'll be glad to comment, but generally the best source for value will be completed ebay auctions. Make sure you're looking at the same year, mint, and condition.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
I'm not an expert, but have some experience. First, do not clean the coins with any method. This will greatly reduce any value they have above face or spot value. Dimes, quarter dollars, half dollars, and dollar coins prior to 1965 are 90% silver. So, even if common and poor condition they will retain the value of the silver they are made out of. Value above and beyond that will be determined by rarity and condition (like every other collectible out there). Photos that show up will be needed to comment on condition. Rarity can be determined by many sources online or at your library. The mint kept pretty meticulous records of what they produced each year and what they held back and reused in future years.

Anything specific, please post a photo and I'll be glad to comment, but generally the best source for value will be completed ebay auctions. Make sure you're looking at the same year, mint, and condition.

Can you view the images?

Attachments

• 20151204_124507.jpg
    20151204_124507.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 180
  • 20151204_124537.jpg
    20151204_124537.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 114

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
From this link it says you're looking at around $20. Without the mint mark yours looks to be from Philly. http://www.coinstudy.com/1898-morgan-silver-dollar-value.html
I did see that too but was hoping i was missing something. Thought being over 100+ years old would be worth more, oh well. We have a suitcase full of rolls of coins from the 40's to the 70's and books of half dollars and a bunch of random foreign coins. Probably should get it all appraised.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I did see that too but was hoping i was missing something. Thought being over 100+ years old would be worth more, oh well. We have a suitcase full of rolls of coins from the 40's to the 70's and books of half dollars and a bunch of random foreign coins. Probably should get it all appraised.
I knew a guy that found a small box of gold coins shoved up in between the rafters and foundation of his house. There was a small gold coin from the 1800's in excellent condition. We looked it up and it seemed like there wasn't a whole lot of them minted. He sent it into someplace to be appraised and when it came back it wasn't appraised anywhere near as high as we thought it would be.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
What JayV said is pretty spot-on.

To add to his post - watch for coins that have minting errors (off center, double-strikes, etc.) because some of those are worth money. If you have completed books of half-dollars, then those could be worth pretty good money, or potentially contain some rare coins. If anything has the date worn off it, then it is usually worth only face value unless it was made out of a precious metal (then it is worth scrap value). A lot of buffalo nickels have had their dates worn completely off.

Most of the Morgan dollars that are worth money come from mints that are no longer in service (New Orleans, Carson City), or more rarely used for circulating coins (San Francisco). I think 1898 is one of the more common years for Morgan dollars. I think 1921 is VERY common also (you'll see tons of those).

I've also found foreign money can be hit or miss. A lot of American collectors don't seem to care much for non-US currency, but sometimes a random coin can be worth some money, or you might find the right person that collects coins of a certain age or from a certain country.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

You would think. But then again there are coins from the Roman Empire that are around 2,000 years old that aren't really worth that much either.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
If nothing else, that is a beautiful coin! Cool!

In the proud CF tradition, I have nothing to add but a marginally on-topic video link:

[video=youtube;hv_EwU8-3Gs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv_EwU8-3Gs[/video]

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have the same issue, plus a variety of foreign currency my dad must have collected during the war. Guessing lots of other soldiers have money from the South Pacific so it probably isn't worth a ton.

I have a bunch of junk marks from WWII. Cool stuff from 100 marks to millions of marks. That's inflation! About as valuable as toilet paper in 1945.

Do have a few older silver Kaiser coins, like 3 marks, the size of an American silver dollar. They are interesting but not mint, probably worth $15-20 is all.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Thanks for the insight all. Anyone know a coin guru in the CR area that might be willing to take a look at the collection?

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I don't know of anyone specifically, but if I was in your position I would probably call around to local coin shops and see if they are willing to take a look at the collection for you. If any are willing to do this, let them look at the coins, listen to what they have to say, and keep track of any coins they seem to be especially interested in.

Then take them home (don't accept any offers they make) and research anything that they told you was worth money, or anything they seemed to be interested in.