Anybody watch Roger Clemens on 60 minutes?

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I wanted to believe him too, but he looked like a deer in the headlights when Mike Wallace asked if he would submit to a lie detector.

And no, the 4th retirement crap didn't help his case either.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I don't remember word for word, but his response was basically- oh well, those are only accurate half the time anyways. I don't think that would convince anyone anyways. ...he stuttered a lot too....

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
IT was obvious he was coached... He just tried to deflect it and blame trainers for pumping him full of Vioxx and other drugs. Said no point in a lie detector because they aren't acurate...

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I purposely didn't watch because I find Clemons to be extremely cocky and annoying. Wouldn't have swayed me anyway, I fully beleive he used.

scubapohl1

Jun 1, 2006
Panama City Beach, FL
Give me a break. Mike Wallace sits in the Steinbrenner box at Yankee's games. He's the biggest Yankee homer there is. This was about as much journalism as Mean Gene Okerlund interviewing Hulk Hogan back in the 80's!

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yeah - it was more of a let me get some personal air time to say what I want... Wallace didn't attack him too badly, like he usually does. I completely agree with the "deer in the headlights" comment above. He seemed to just be trying to appear telling the truth rather than telling it!
What's going to happen at congress when he and his trainer are both sitting there, under oath and tell completely different stories? That should be a fun moment!

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
IMO, he was lying through his teeth. He was fidgety, keep drinking water and was playing with something in his hand. Not comfortable at all. He was defensive and tried to steer the conversation toward VIOXX and other things. He gave several weak reasons why he wouldn't have taken anything, because steroids are a "quick fix". Ya, so quick Bonds could still be playing if anybody wanted him.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Give me a break. Mike Wallace sits in the Steinbrenner box at Yankee's games. He's the biggest Yankee homer there is. This was about as much journalism as Mean Gene Okerlund interviewing Hulk Hogan back in the 80's!

The biggest critique people had was Wallace was going to lob him softballs and not deliver any hard follow-ups.

I would believe George Mitchell before I would Roger Clemens.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
His comment about an ear on his forehead and pulling a tractor with his teeth were beyond stupid.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I think Clemens has convinced himself that he didn't use steroids, even though he probably did use them, and deep-down he knows it. Asked what should happen to players caught using steroids, he basically said nothing because they're hurting themself by getting a quick fix and breaking down their own bodies...yeah whatever...to me, he's in denial mode and will never admit wrongdoing.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would have no problem admitting I used steroids. They have their money already and are all presumed guilty anyway. At least be a man about it instead of a ****.

I can see why they used them as well. If a guy is beating me out and he's on 'roids, I would be tempted as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I would have no problem admitting I used steroids. They have their money already and are all presumed guilty anyway. At least be a man about it instead of a ****.

I can see why they used them as well. If a guy is beating me out and he's on 'roids, I would be tempted as well.

Especially in Clemens' case when he hasn't testified before the Grand Jury (yet). In a lot of the players' cases, they were still playing, still making $$$, and flat out lied to the Grand Jury. If you lie to the Grand Jury you'd better keep up the charade or you're gonna spend some time in the clink for perjury.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Andy Pettitte admitted to using HGH and I don't for a minute believe that Clemens didn't know what Pettite was doing.

I agree. Also, Pettitte came out and admitted that Brian McNemee told the truth about him. Why would McNemee tell the truth about Andy, but be lying and "out to get" Clemens.

Roger's smoke screen about steroids being a "quick fix" is weak. For the body builder types who are only interested in how much muscle they can pack on, yeah it will lead to your body breaking down much faster than the normal person. However, someone in Roger's situation where he's not using for larger muscles, but for shorter recovery time and increased stamina, then steroids would definitely give him a boost.

I hope he is telling the truth that he didn't use steroids or HGH. Sadly I don't think that is the case.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm pretty sure thats the only reason he would sue... Wouldn't be suprised if he drops the case after the congressional testamony.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'm pretty sure thats the only reason he would sue... Wouldn't be suprised if he drops the case after the congressional testamony.

Wasn't the reason Bonds wasn't called before Congress because of the ongoing grand jury investigation? If so...that is clearly an attempt to get out of testifying before Congress. Although, a grand jury investigation is most likely a different situation than a defamation suit?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron