Anybody have Comcast??

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I am getting really fed up with my Qwest DSL service. I have a friend that works for Comcast that has been prodding me to switch to them.

Anyone have Comcast? I am interested in what you think of it if you do. I would probably go all in and get the phone, broadband and TV service.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I went from mediacom HSI to Qwest DSL. I'm now paying 1/2 as much as before and I like it just as much if not more.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
What sucks about qwest? I was about to sign up with them today.

I have been happy with their DSL for over a year, but recently I have had outages, and brutal slowdowns. I am at the far reaches of a "switching station" so this may be the problem. I am frustrated because I connected at the speed they advertise for a year, now I can't. No one can seem to tell me why.

I don't want to switch, but may have to. I think Qwest gives the best value and up to now has been reliable.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I am getting really fed up with my Qwest DSL service. I have a friend that works for Comcast that has been prodding me to switch to them.

Anyone have Comcast? I am interested in what you think of it if you do. I would probably go all in and get the phone, broadband and TV service.

I have comcast. The high speed is FAST although, to be honest, I've got nothing to compare it to. All I know is it is fast enough for me not to complain about speed.

However, I've had support issues with comcast. Service guys that didn't show. Service guys that do nothing to diagnose and fix a problem. My On-demand service and digital cable had problems for months with service call after service call. I called them to complain several times. They said the problem was with a cable box in MY NEIGHBORS yard and they have a dog so it was MY responsibility to schedule a service call at MY NEIGHBORS house to fix the problem. I argued that is was their responsibility to fix the issue since I'm the customer. I told them that I was going to cancel all of my services and switch to qwest and they said "well, here is how you do that...". I was stunned that they didn't even care if I left.

After a couple days, I got a call from someone higher up at Comcast who apologized and sent a tech out who actually knew what he was doing and that tech fixed my issue. All it was was one of the ends of a coax cable in my house was damaged. The tech was amazed that no other tech had ever suggested that might be the issue or tested to see if that was the issue.

Anyway, this all might be one specific occurance but it was like pulling teeth to get that problem fixed. Now everything is working great and I have no complaints.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I have comcast. The high speed is FAST although, to be honest, I've got nothing to compare it to. All I know is it is fast enough for me not to complain about speed.

Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing the speed is faster than 340 kbps/second, which I am connecting at now.:no:

My main worry is that Comcast is more expensive, especially after the teaser deal I can sign up with expires. I really don't need blazing download speeds, just a relatively fast RELIABLE connection.

Do you think it is too expensive for what you get?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing the speed is faster than 340 kbps/second, which I am connecting at now.:no:

My main worry is that Comcast is more expensive, especially after the teaser deal I can sign up with expires. I really don't need blazing download speeds, just a relatively fast RELIABLE connection.

Do you think it is too expensive for what you get?

My company buys mine since I'm a remote employee and tele-commute from home. Cost isn't an issue. Only speed.

I just randomly tested my speed about 2 seconds ago and got 952 mbits per second using bandwidthplace.com. I know it has been much faster on previous tests but I have my outlook running, a firewall, virus checker, 128 bit WEP on a wireless router and multiple explorer windows open. Not bad all things considered.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006

Can your friend hook you up? And by hook you up, I don't mean connecting cables...

Cost isn't too much of an issue if you don't mind putting in some effort every 6-12 months. When your teaser rate ends, keep calling comcast until someone gives you another promotion. This is what I do, otherwise I couldn't justify spending so much money on tv+internet

Last edited:

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I think just about anyone can go out and find a story about a negative experience at any of these types of businesses.

If quest can't fix your problem then you probably do have to switch.
And as was posted about problems with cable serviceman, I have had them in the past with mediacom too. I am sure you can get those experience's everywhere.

I am not sure what the price of comcast internet is, but mediacom charges me $45 a month. And I feel the extra speed and espn 360 is worth the $15 extra a month with them.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I think just about anyone can go out and find a story about a negative experience at any of these types of businesses.

If quest can't fix your problem then you probably do have to switch.
And as was posted about problems with cable serviceman, I have had them in the past with mediacom too. I am sure you can get those experience's everywhere.

I am not sure what the price of comcast internet is, but mediacom charges me $45 a month. And I feel the extra speed and espn 360 is worth the $15 extra a month with them.

I also pay $45 but I don't get 360 as part of the deal with comcast in my area.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
My company buys mine since I'm a remote employee and tele-commute from home. Cost isn't an issue. Only speed.

I just randomly tested my speed about 2 seconds ago and got 952 mbits per second using bandwidthplace.com. I know it has been much faster on previous tests but I have my outlook running, a firewall, virus checker, 128 bit WEP on a wireless router and multiple explorer windows open. Not bad all things considered.

I think you have a typo in there. Because a 952 mbit connection would be extremely fast.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I have a feeling he should be getting between 7000-10000 kbits/sec though. He might need to call them out. Those are the speeds I get with my mediacom cable modem

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
That's my main issue with Comcast. $45/mo. for 952 kbps is A LOT. Up until now, I connected at 1.2-1.3 Mbps, and was paying $21.99.

I think I pay for 3 mbit connection but I think I'm limiting the speed by some of things I'm doing.

You can buy a 7mbit connection from Comcast if you want to pay more for the Premium.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Can your friend hook you up? And by hook you up, I don't mean connecting cables...

Cost isn't too much of an issue if you don't mind putting in some effort every 6-12 months. When your teaser rate ends, keep calling comcast until someone gives you another promotion. This is what I do, otherwise I couldn't justify spending so much money on tv+internet

I'm going to call him tonight. He moved to Arizona so I'm not sure of the deal he could leverage for me. We recently agreed to be in his will as caretakers of his kids if anything happens to him and his wife, so that should give me some leverage!:smile::smile:

Good idea on calling to get better rates after the teaser deal is up...I'm pretty good at doing that.