Any P90X Users?

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
I'm on week 6...lost 10 lbs and about 1 inch around my waist. I thought I was fit before I started (6 minute mile, bench 225x15, and squat 365x10), and losing weight/inches would be tough, but it just kinda melted off.

I'm doing the Lean program, and still doing my normal free weight routine at the gym 3 days a week on top of that. I thought I'd lose a bit of strength exercising that much, but I've actually added 2 to 3 reps to my (old) max. That and I can run a mile now without breaking much of a sweat.

It's a great program. Tony's got kind of a corny sense of humor about him, but he also doesn't seem to take himself too seriously...not yelling like a drill instructor constantly. I actually like seeing his face every morning, which I certainly thought by now I'd hate.

I'm just using the bands and the pullup bar. I went from a max of 10 pullups to 18 in 6 weeks. Yoga is by far my favorite workout. I do feel a bit silly doing the kenpo routine, mostly because I'm punching/kicking the air, but even then, it is fun and a nice sweat.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm on week 6...lost 10 lbs and about 1 inch around my waist. I thought I was fit before I started (6 minute mile, bench 225x15, and squat 365x10), and losing weight/inches would be tough, but it just kinda melted off.

I'm doing the Lean program, and still doing my normal free weight routine at the gym 3 days a week on top of that. I thought I'd lose a bit of strength exercising that much, but I've actually added 2 to 3 reps to my (old) max. That and I can run a mile now without breaking much of a sweat.

It's a great program. Tony's got kind of a corny sense of humor about him, but he also doesn't seem to take himself too seriously...not yelling like a drill instructor constantly. I actually like seeing his face every morning, which I certainly thought by now I'd hate.

I'm just using the bands and the pullup bar. I went from a max of 10 pullups to 18 in 6 weeks. Yoga is by far my favorite workout. I do feel a bit silly doing the kenpo routine, mostly because I'm punching/kicking the air, but even then, it is fun and a nice sweat.

Yes, Tony does have a corny sense of humor that most of the time I would laugh at - just not when I'm hyped up on adrenaline, sore, and tired, and out of breath at 4:45 in the morning when I do his P90 cardio routine. Let's just say his face makes a nice target to aim at for those kenpo punches... :wink:

CyorDie

Jan 3, 2008
Waukee
Day 3 completed (Shoulders and Arms): I am sore as can be, but really looking forward to tonights Yoga DVD. I found the dumbbell routines last night to be very helpful in pushing me and keeping the heart rate up. As for Yoga, I don't really know what to expect, but from a previous post, sounds like I should enjoy it as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Day 3 completed (Shoulders and Arms): I am sore as can be, but really looking forward to tonights Yoga DVD. I found the dumbbell routines last night to be very helpful in pushing me and keeping the heart rate up. As for Yoga, I don't really know what to expect, but from a previous post, sounds like I should enjoy it as well.

Depends - how flexible are you, and what kind of balance do you have? If you're anything like me (poor flexibility and lousy balance) it will be miserable.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I think you and I both (having lived in the south) have seen our fair share of people working out in their front yard...

I hope to have my privacy fence up first thing this spring so I would do it in the BACK yard...

Working out in the front yard is the best, all the cool people do it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfLtzGqbZ8]YouTube - Tum Tum - Caprice Music[/ame]

CyorDie

Jan 3, 2008
Waukee
Depends - how flexible are you, and what kind of balance do you have? If you're anything like me (poor flexibility and lousy balance) it will be miserable.

I have some flexibility, nothing to brag about. Always sucked at the sit reach test in PE though. Had to make up for it in other areas to get the so called Presidential Fitness Awards. Maybe if I remove my beer gut with the Ab Ripper I will be far more flexible.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
cyflier, what's next? Will you do a 2nd round? Change it up? Stay on the diet? or P90X Plus?

Once I get through the 1st 90 days of P90x I'd like to take a week or two and do something a bit different (lift, run, bike) but then hit it again and go for at least a 2nd 90 days. Once that's done maybe look at the next level of P90X Plus. I've only heard ok reviews on it. Nothing as good as the P90X program.

Right now I am just alternating everyday with a P90X workout and ab ripper with running. Seems to be working. There is an ariticle about life after P90X in the book. Its never really over.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa

I kind of did a practice day of Yoga last week, then this morning I tried to keep up. Some things I am able to do, others are really tuff. I could see some improvment in my balance and I picked up a few tips by listening a bit closer to what he was saying for balance. So far I like it. It's different than anything else I've ever done and it's a work out. There are some positions I couldn't hold for even half of the require time and some streatching things I can't even get close on. :no: I want to keep doing it to get better, my only issue is it's 92min.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
It's a small small world. My wife and I literally just started on Monday as well. Finished Shoulders/Arms and Ab Ripper last night. Day 4 Yoga is up tonight (kinda worried, yet excited about it). I've been pretty sore this week.

For those who are doing it for the first time as well, is it common to not be able to finish out the reps they are doing? Quite frankly we just can't do it all at this point. I'm sure at the beginning that is to be expected, but I also find it a bit demoralizing that I'm not able to do the workout in its entirety.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's a small small world. My wife and I literally just started on Monday as well. Finished Shoulders/Arms and Ab Ripper last night. Day 4 Yoga is up tonight (kinda worried, yet excited about it). I've been pretty sore this week.

For those who are doing it for the first time as well, is it common to not be able to finish out the reps they are doing? Quite frankly we just can't do it all at this point. I'm sure at the beginning that is to be expected, but I also find it a bit demoralizing that I'm not able to do the workout in its entirety.

I've watched some "making of" mini-documentary on the making of this program. The "subjects" they got to make this program, while they were in shape themselves beforehand, had to do the program for weeks themselves before they could complete it all. Like I said, these guys were in excellent shape beforehand, and you could see the difference even in them after 90 days. I wouldn't be surprised if Tony himself had to do some "prep conditioning" in order to be able to complete this program.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS

Like anything, you need to crawl to walk, walk to run. I thought I was a pretty fit guy going in, and I couldn't keep up with the 'kids' on some of the stuff. The ab ripper is a good example....when I started, I was averaging 10 of the 25 reps per exercise before I had to take a break. Over 6 weeks, I've built it up to 15 of 25 reps the 'kids' are doing. My goal is to be up to 20 of 25 at the end of 13 weeks. Hang in there, and do your best, and forget the rest!

CyorDie

Jan 3, 2008
Waukee
The Yoga session was just what my body needed. It worked my muscles and stretched them out. It was 92 minutes and the first 45 really got me sweating, but I sleep awesome last night and my body feels great today. Recommend yoga to anyone who is severely sore after working out.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Just about finished with week one and my legs and back side are sore, sore, sore. Looking forward to just stretching tomorrow. :yes: I can't wait for week 2 to start.

I've been out of town the last two days so I've beening doing P90X on the road. My workouts haven't been perfect but still pretty good for doing it in a condo with nothing but a pullup bar and 6'x6' space.

Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
The wife and I are just getting going with P90x, as well. We are doing the classic version and sticking to the diet as close as we can with 4 kids. The workout are tough and I'm finding the one-hour workouts to be more intense than any one-hour workout I ever had as an athlete at ISU. It's good, though.

As far as the equipment is concerned, I just have some powerblock dumbbells, a pull-up bar and a heavy resistance band for when I have to travel.

The kids find it entertaining to watch and I find it entertaining to watch them attempt some of the exercises.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Just checking in how everyone's doing. Here it is late Sat. night and my butt is so sore from legs and back it's not funny. I have a hard time sitting down playing with my son. Stretch tomorrow the start week 3 of phase 1. Things are progressing. Still can't get through AR X without many breaks. :nah:

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
according to the website, it costs $120.00 plus another $20 s & h for the P90x...it better work for that much.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
So if you are already in shape or already work out on a regular basis, is P90X going to change anything? I am thinking about checking it out, but I don't need to lose weight or tone up, I'm just getting bored...

I get the idea this is more of a program for people who are just getting back into working out.

isumills

Dec 18, 2008
Johnston
Just received mine in the mail on Thursday, and will begin the program tomorrow. I turned 30 last August, and thought what a better time to get off the couch and back into shape. Tried the anytime fitness deal, but it was too easy to just blow it off and not go. Now that I can work out at home there really is no excuse, along with the fact of the money invested my wife says I really have no choice or she'll throw me out. For those who are doing the program, how hard is it to follow the meal program? That will be my biggest hurdle, as I love to snack and love soda, which will have to go.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
according to the website, it costs $120.00 plus another $20 s & h for the P90x...it better work for that much.

If you follow the program and push play it will work. They've done their work putting a really good product together, now it's up to you to put the time and work in. And I mean work. I've had things sore that I didn't know could be sore. :eek:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron