Any P90X Users?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I have a bit of a bad knee from a rollerblade crash a few years back, how is this program as far as that goes? I'm not going to be doing a lot of the dips, etc, with the knee.

CIVILCY

May 21, 2009
I have a bit of a bad knee from a rollerblade crash a few years back, how is this program as far as that goes? I'm not going to be doing a lot of the dips, etc, with the knee.

Tony says in the dvd you just need to modify the work outs to fit you. He says he tore up his knee so he doesn't go all out on it. The workout can be as hard as you push yourself. The plyo will have you jumping off your leg a lot and the leg work out will have you doing a lot of squats.

CIVILCY

May 21, 2009
For me.....

- I went form 180 to 160lbs
- BF I didn't track
- Pull up rep went from 6 to 16
- Push up increase went from 40 to 65+ I've never maxed out at the end.

Did all of that in 90 days, cut out the junk food but ate all the time and was never hungry.

I'm on round 2 getting ready to start phase 2 and can't wait. Haven't missed a day so far. I've had some better than others but worked hard every day.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your numbers are great.
I'm on week 9 right now and at 6' I've went from 204 to 183. I've went from 20 push up to around 40 and started with only being able to do 1 or 2 pullups to 5 pull ups.

baylrballa

Feb 3, 2007
League City
down about 15 lbs after 2+ months. pretty impressed still. never been a big guy, but starting to put on some decent upper body muscle too.

just found out the other week you can mute tony and his annoying *** comments. I recommend this 1000x over. I was to the point I was skipping over some exercises because I knew it was annoying. so much better

CIVILCY

May 21, 2009
down about 15 lbs after 2+ months. pretty impressed still. never been a big guy, but starting to put on some decent upper body muscle too.

just found out the other week you can mute tony and his annoying *** comments. I recommend this 1000x over. I was to the point I was skipping over some exercises because I knew it was annoying. so much better

How can you mute Tony. My wife and I always call out our soups.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
How can you mute Tony. My wife and I always call out our soups.

Just found out that my cousin has the discs so I wont be needing to buy them (that was the major thing holding me back). Two of my buddies and I are going to wait till all of our schedules work to start up, so it will probably be a few weeks. All three of us are in pretty good shape, we would just like to use some of that cushion we put on in college. I'm interested to see how my body reacts to these workouts as I am already pretty physical. The other two are both in good shape but are bigger as they were both football players. I'll post my starting numbers when we start up and hopefully use this board to keep me honest and track my progress.

CIVILCY

May 21, 2009
Just found out that my cousin has the discs so I wont be needing to buy them (that was the major thing holding me back). Two of my buddies and I are going to wait till all of our schedules work to start up, so it will probably be a few weeks. All three of us are in pretty good shape, we would just like to use some of that cushion we put on in college. I'm interested to see how my body reacts to these workouts as I am already pretty physical. The other two are both in good shape but are bigger as they were both football players. I'll post my starting numbers when we start up and hopefully use this board to keep me honest and track my progress.

having someone else there will really help. Especially to keep you going by about week 6 taking the time to do the exorcises really gets to you and it will help to have people to get you through it. If you are in good shape just try and stick to the diet a best as possible and you will see the weight come off.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa

I had a similar issue with my knee (no cartilage on the right side and ACL reconstruction about 6 years ago) and this program was one of the reasons I wanted to use it. Running is not recommended for me, I like to bike but don't have all the equipment needed in inclement weather so I really needed something to get my heart rate up yet be easy on my knee. As someone mentioned earlier modify. Not that I'm a Tony wanabe but he offers lots of "modify" moves and shows how to do low impact stuff. I push where and when I can with most of the upper body stuff and modify with my legs where needed. The options are clearly shown and discussed during the workouts. Even with these modifications I bet my heart rate up and have seen great results.

I eased into some of the more difficult workouts with lower body joints (Plyo) and now I feel pretty comfortable and know what I can and can't do. One example is doing what they call jump knee tuck. I simply can't land softly while doing this so I put in a move they call the "steam engine". Another is the rock star hop. I replace this with a move called wacky jacks for the mid section and obliques. I haven't had a singe issue with my knee. Heck, walking a few miles makes it sorer than doing some of the workouts.

All in all I'd say this program is 70/30 upper body to lower body and with all the lower body stuff you can work around it.

Hope this helps.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
About what weight of dumbells do most start off with for the program?

My wife and I started with 8's, 10's, 12's, 15's, 20's, and 25's. The 25's were not enough for me in the end of the 1st 90 days. I now have 30's and 35's and that covers me for about 95% of what I need for now.

One thing to consider is the bowflex dumbbells. They have 10-50lbs in 2.5lb increments I think. It's one dumbbell that you turn a dial and weights not needed drop off. They're an upgrade from the initial "power blocks" that came out several years ago. They have another set that starts higher and goes up to 90lbs. They cost some $$$ but in the end they save space and are about the same cost as a full set of dumbbells that go that high. The down side with the bowflex, if you work out with another person they can't use the dumbbellss you’re not using. In other words, if you have dumbbells that cover the same range and you are using the 40's, the other person can use any other set except the ones you are using at that time. It's just the dumbbells take up more space.

This is how I looked on the last strip set of curls today doing the Back and Bicep workout
....:confused:

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anyone here using that 10 minute trainer?

My fiance and I both work 14 hour days with an hour commute each way on top of that. We each work 3 days a week. Needless to say, that makes it very difficult to spend another hour a day working out on top of that. The other 4 days a week are no problem to work out.

We have both p90x and TMT.

Here is my question, is there anyone here with a successful strategy / schedule of integrating both workouts together? I was thinking something along the lines of 4 days a week of p90x and 2 days of TMT. We are both in decent shape already, so we just need to get a good calorie burn and add some muscle tone.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
What fitness message boards does everyone use here?

I was using the P90x board on beach body but they changed the front end user interface and it's not near as user friendly. I used to get on daily and I bet I haven't been on for over 3 weeks. The other one I use is myfitnesspal.com. I use this to track my food. The forum is so so IMHO. There are lots of heavy honeys on there all trying to lose #. Not that that's a bad thing, they are trying to do good for themselves but it's like a talking feel good soap opera. Just not 4 me.
Posted via Mobile Device

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Not sure how reliable this source is but he basically says P90X is not good for you:

Dear Dream: What is P90X and Does P90X Really Work?*|*The Dream Lounge

hmmmm, nice to know that someone "Dream" who has never used the program is saying it doesn't work.:confused: From the thousands that have used it and have seen results I wonder what the explanation is. For me, his argument is very, very weak, he has questionable facts, and doesn't supply a fact based alternative.....he's just a wind bag with an opinion. If you go back and read Dream's blog for recommendations on reading and diet he actually has a book by Mark Sisson that he states is his number one pick for best reads. Go figure, Mark Sisson was one of the main contributors to P90x fitness and nutrition plan. Dream states "I can only fathom the stupidity of the nutrition plan". I wonder if that would have changed his mind on P90x.

I'm not saying P90X is "the solution" but for me personally, it has worked. Not only that, it was at a reasonable cost and I did it at home safely. The program packaged a good workout (12 to be exact), it comes with a good nutritional program, and if you do the work you will see improvements. Are there better programs out there......probably but I haven't found one that gives me anything better than P90x. I'm willing to try if there is one.

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com
Almost done with my second week of P90X.

After going through a 3 month phase of running 12-19 miles a week and liftin, P90X is a nice change of pace.

I haven't been this sore from resistance training since the days of the Getty workouts!