Another Commit

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Listed 40 time is 4.9. If he can keep that while adding 30 lbs needed to play DE he will be an impact player.

Waechter (guy Iowa just offered) is 6'5 255 lbs. and also clocked in a 4.9 40. He's projected as a tackle. So he's an inch or two shorter, but has a lot more weight on him. 4.9 is decent, but not great speed coming off the edge as a DE. Often times kids with that kind of height take some time to grow into their body. He certainly has plenty of time to improve. With his frame I would imagine it will be a good two or three years before he's expected to contribute.

Here are some comparable 40 times coming out of high school (all these guys are a bit different in styles of play):

Nate Meier: 4.6
Mitchell Meyers: 4.63
Drew Ott: 4.8
Mike Hardy: 5.0

*Couldn't easily find a 40 time for Morrissey. I would imagine his is pretty fast because of his frame.

None of these guys have Nelson's height though. That's a unique weapon in itself given his ability to knock down or deflect passes. JJ Watt has shown how big of an impact that can have.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Waechter (guy Iowa just offered) is 6'5 255 lbs. and also clocked in a 4.9 40. He's projected as a tackle. So he's an inch or two shorter, but has a lot more weight on him. 4.9 is decent, but not great speed coming off the edge as a DE.

I think you're investing a bit too much in a listed speed from a recruiting site.

Generally those numbers (as with height and weight) are only even reasonably accurate when a kid has been to an accredited combine, like when Lazard went to the special camps last summer--or, when Bobby McMillen went to the Rivals camp in Chicago--and was suddenly listed at 6'1" 211. I'd take those numbers as pretty accurate. Don't know if he has a 40 time from that, though.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
Dowling DE Max Morris has a Wyoming offer and expect to hear about some money coming toward FS Nick Wilson as well sometime soon.
Kramme from Ankeny Centennial and Collin Olson from there are guys that could also find their way into some money.
I don't know that Valley has any D1 talent in this year's SR class but they have a jr to be OL with a reported Oklahoma offer

That's cool about max morris. Real good player. Kramme is a kid that I would want, super fast with good size.
There are a couple at VHS with potential but I doubt if they get offers. Zach Downs is a linebacker, 6'0"-6'1" probably 200-210. Tore his ACL last year but before that he ran like a 4.60 at ISU camp. I could see him getting a look.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
I think you're investing a bit too much in a listed speed from a recruiting site.

Generally those numbers (as with height and weight) are only even reasonably accurate when a kid has been to an accredited combine, like when Lazard went to the special camps last summer--or, when Bobby McMillen went to the Rivals camp in Chicago--and was suddenly listed at 6'1" 211. I'd take those numbers as pretty accurate. Don't know if he has a 40 time from that, though.

That could very well be true, but it's the only thing we have to go off of. Until he posts a better number I think it's fair to assume it's accurate unless you just prefer to believe he's faster than that.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That could very well be true, but it's the only thing we have to go off of. Until he posts a better number I think it's fair to assume it's accurate unless you just prefer to believe he's faster than that.

I think it is safer to assume that the unverified times are best possible scenario. Personally I will always assume that the player is probably a tenth or two slower than what is posted and be pleasantly surprised if it is even within a few hundreths of as fast as what was initially posted.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
I think it is safer to assume that the unverified times are best possible scenario. Personally I will always assume that the player is probably a tenth or two slower than what is posted and be pleasantly surprised if it is even within a few hundreths of as fast as what was initially posted.

True. Hand timed 40's usually tend to be a bit faster so that's a good point.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
True. Hand timed 40's usually tend to be a bit faster so that's a good point.

I wouldn't even go that far. Until I see a confirmed time, I just consider those listings a guesstimate--with the actual number more likely to be worse.

Take Lazard, for example. I think that his claimed/guesstimated times were something like 4.5, or 4.55, but once he hit the camp combine circuit, his best 40 time was what, 4.67? Lots of work with Yancey for him to do.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I wouldn't even go that far. Until I see a confirmed time, I just consider those listings a guesstimate--with the actual number more likely to be worse.

Take Lazard, for example. I think that his claimed/guesstimated times were something like 4.5, or 4.55, but once he hit the camp combine circuit, his best 40 time was what, 4.67? Lots of work with Yancey for him to do.

He is never going to be a speedster.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron