Another accent/dialect thread (with test)

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Took this quiz a while ago and got Rockford, Aurora (IL), and Grand Rapids. Grew up in Rockford, Grandma from Grand Rapids.. Pretty darn accurate.

The one question that really pegged me for the Rockford/Aurora spots (and, as I found out, was very different compared to my east coast and even KC-raised coworkers) was the one about the words "cot" and "caught".

I pronounce them differently, and was a bit surprised to find out that most of the people around me don't do the same.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneSarah

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So, this isn't quiz related, but it does have to do with dialects.
I just got off of a call, for work, with a guy from Alabama. We had been chitchatting, and he was talking about his love of animals, particularly dogs.

Except, he didn't say dog. Dog is a one syllable word that is pronounced "D-og", "D-ah-g" or maybe "D-aww-g" if you're a d-bag. The monstrosity of a word that came out of this guy's mouth, however, was this 2 syllable phlegm pile, that sounded like "D-ow-wuh-ghh".

And he said it probably 20 times in the span of 5 minutes. It was maddening. You'd think you'd suspect that you might not be pronouncing it correctly, if you have to take a breath halfway through saying a 3 letter word.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I just got off of a call, for work, with a guy from Alabama. We had been chitchatting, and he was talking about his love of animals, particularly dogs.

Except, he didn't say dog. Dog is a one syllable word that is pronounced "D-og", "D-ah-g" or maybe "D-aww-g" if you're a d-bag. The monstrosity of a word that came out of this guy's mouth, however, was this 2 syllable phlegm pile, that sounded like "D-ow-wuh-ghh".

And he said it probably 20 times in the span of 5 minutes. It was maddening. You'd think you'd suspect that you might not be pronouncing it correctly, if you have to take a breath halfway through saying a 3 letter word.

Roll tide

• Haha
Reactions: Skyh13 and Angie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

That's a Texan trait as well. The Southwestern drawl commonly puts extra syllables in words.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
During the course of my work, I've dealt with people from all over the US. The Jersey accent is the one that grates on me the most, but the ladies I talked to were some of the funniest as well. They were talking and swearing Jersey stereotypes.

I've gotten pretty good at separating different southern accents, too. The Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas and Arkansas all have some distinguishing characteristic. And then Louisiana is on a completely other plane of existence.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
During the course of my work, I've dealt with people from all over the US. The Jersey accent is the one that grates on me the most, but the ladies I talked to were some of the funniest as well. They were talking and swearing Jersey stereotypes.

I've gotten pretty good at separating different southern accents, too. The Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas and Arkansas all have some distinguishing characteristic. And then Louisiana is on a completely other plane of existence.
Ah, cher, what you means?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I got MSP, Madison, and Grand Rapids MI for my most similar cities. Sounds about right.

Same here, except I got Milwaukee instead of Grand Rapids. Interestingly, the darkest red on the whole map encompassed the area of northern Iowa where I grew up. I've spent the last nearly 30 years in Arkansas, so I guess that never affected the way I speak like some people I know.

I had an uncle who lived in the Ozarks near Springfield, Mo. He grew up in northern Iowa just like I did. I spent a summer with him one year and I always thought it was funny that he spoke with a Southern accent while none of his closest neighbors did. Sure there were people around who spoke like that, but the people he had the most contact with while I was there didn't. Truly odd.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
They should allow you to select multiple answers. There was one which asked about the bug which roll up into a ball when they're touched. I'd answer centipede or millipede.

I selected 'other' quite a few times.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Probably because you say "warsh"

It’s a family thing... I say warsh too. Jewelry is probably the hardest word in the entire language for me to say, I always feel like I’m saying Jewy like “chewy” but in a derogatory way.

But I’ve also always said pan-a-cake for some odd reason. Pretty embarrassing when my 4 year old constantly corrects me.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
It’s a family thing... I say warsh too. Jewelry is probably the hardest word in the entire language for me to say, I always feel like I’m saying Jewy like “chewy” but in a derogatory way.

But I’ve also always said pan-a-cake for some odd reason. Pretty embarrassing when my 4 year old constantly corrects me.
I wonder if others have a difficult word to pronounce.

For me it's linoleum. I still have to concentrate to get it right. I would much rather just say "luh-mum-lee-um."

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wonder if others have a difficult word to pronounce.

I'm sure that applies for me, although nothing comes to mind immediately. More commonly for me, there are words I cannot type correctly without focused effort, even if I'm aware of the correct spelling, such as entrepreneur. (And when I typed this example just now, spell-check flagged it and I had to correct it -- I had omitted an "r").

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I don't actually saw "warsh," Janny is being a turd!

You HAVE always said pan-a-cake. :) I remember when you were little-little and you mixed up your Ls and Ys, too. "Yeyyow" instead of "yellow." "Ya-yee-pop" instead of lollipop. That went away far before kindergarten.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

You HAVE always said pan-a-cake. :) I remember when you were little-little and you mixed up your Ls and Ys, too. "Yeyyow" instead of "yellow." "Ya-yee-pop" instead of lollipop. That went away far before kindergarten.

You wartch what you say there sis...

:jimlad:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Makes sense. Had to impress the “ye-Adies”

• Haha
Reactions: Angie