Announcement coming: "Cyclones.TV is the real deal"

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Yes, because of all the schools in the area, the first school FSN would pick out is Iowa State. Holy crap people. Mediacom makes infinitely more sense than any provider. Fox Sports isn't picking up Cyclones.tv to show volleyball and soccer games. Mediacom will pick it up so they can show games in this state, collect the advertising money, and not have to actually do anything besides pay a small fee.

This is why Pollard is the AD and you - or I - aren't. The University essentially created it's own little network. This isn't Fox Sports sending out cameras and crews to cover Iowa State athletics. This is about pushing content to a different level. It's going to happen with all BCS schools eventually. I would suggest to you that Pollard is at the forefront of deals like this. To say it's not FS in some fashion is naive. The Big 12 could have channels in the works with DirectTV. As long as we push the content up it's not that far fetched. Who knows.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
FSN-Oklahoma started this year because of 3rd tier rights, FSN Kansas City started because of Royals baseball, so a new FSN channel is not as far of a stretch as one might think, or a partnership with with FSN-Midwest and FSN-KC, or even FSN-North could be added to the mix.

There isn't a ton of area specific programming on those channels, it's a coaches show, replay, olympic sports live, and then Fox national or paid programming.

RedRaven

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado
This is why Pollard is the AD and you - or I - aren't. The University essentially created it's own little network. This isn't Fox Sports sending out cameras and crews to cover Iowa State athletics. This is about pushing content to a different level. It's going to happen with all BCS schools eventually. I would suggest to you that Pollard is at the forefront of deals like this. To say it's not FS in some fashion is naive. The Big 12 could have channels in the works with DirectTV. As long as we push the content up it's not that far fetched. Who knows.

I agree with this. Fox Sports has already taken advantage of Cyclones.tv content during half time of an ISU volleyball game on FSN. They showed around a five minute segment produced by Cyclones.tv on Kristen Hahn. They even pretended like it was their content by thanking the Cyclones.tv reporter by her name when they came back to the half time show.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Yes, because of all the schools in the area, the first school FSN would pick out is Iowa State.
Iowa State is the only state school FSN has an existing relationship with. Holy crap, dude.

FSN is not the most likely scenario, in my opinion, but your reason for suggesting it's not is as ludicrous as the reasons some are suggesting it is.

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
All games will be on IPTV? Just kidding whatever it is its a step in the right direction go Pollard!

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Exactly. Insert Iowa for Kansas everywhere in that story (and names) and you have our press release. Or we're going to Mediacom.

They might want to change part of this sentence before issuing a press release:
up to 20 women’s basketball, baseball and volleyball games,

On second thought leave it alone and let some people get their hopes up.

royhobbs09

Apr 11, 2006
A Fox Sports distribution deal would be great with North, Midwest, KC and FCS all picking up some of the content. Fox Sports created a San Diego stand alone channel simply as a result of picking up the Padres. There are over 1 million more people in Iowa than in San Diego County, so it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Fox Sports-Iowa could exist to show content specific to Iowa State, the I-Cubs, national feeds (ie. Big 12 & Pac 12 football/basketball) and possibly some combo of Royals/Cardinals/Twins content (though that may largely be a pipe dream). It could possibly include some UNI/Drake content as well. Comcast sports might also be a possibility, since I believe a lot of Iowa homes get Comcast Chicago. Mediacom would be ok and at least keep basketball in front of the casual Iowa based fan (something Cyclones.tv standing alone doesn't do), but not as good for out of staters like me who can pick up Comcast/Fox Sports regionals by buying a sports pack. The number of hours, $$$ and exposure are the three important components that I am sure Pollard is all over.

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If it is Mediacom, it will be a giant facepalm. Mediacom makes nothing better. In fact I will LOL if it is announced as Mediacom. Might consider it the first big fail announcement from JP.

Hard to believe it isn't FSN when every other Big 12 school has gone that direction pretty much.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
If it is Mediacom, it will be a giant facepalm. Mediacom makes nothing better. In fact I will LOL if it is announced as Mediacom. Might consider it the first big fail announcement from JP.

Hard to believe it isn't FSN when every other Big 12 school has gone that direction pretty much.
This.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

It would make it better for the thousands of local viewers that have mediacom. Anyone else would still have the cyclones.tv option.