Ankle Injury

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Two weeks ago I broke my ankle playing volleyball. I thought it was a sprain at first, got it x-rayed - they found a possible chip fracture on lateral talus or something. I can walk on both ankle with equal weight, can do the stairs and elliptical. I tried to run on the elliptical at 4 mph - that seemed to be too much, so I tried 3 mph instead. The stairs help a lot though. Anyway, my doc hasn't gotten back to me in terms of whether I need to get it x-rayed again. I feel like I need to go through a physical therapy and maybe have the therapist tell me how long exactly I need to rest it or what I need to do to help it before I can run again.

I am not on crutches, just have an ankle brace on. I am still a little limpy but can walk without much problem at all. Can anyone share their stories here so I know maybe I am pushing it a little expecting to be running in just 2 weeks?

Last edited:

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is the chip still in your ankle? That would be my greatest concern if I was you. I had a bone chip in my elbow, it was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
If you were in Ames I would offer you to stop by for a free injury screen where I work at Mary Greeley Physical Therapy.

'Shameless plug' If only Geoff Conn could play the cash register sound.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
IMO, sounds like you need to see a different doctor - if you're not getting the information you need and have not been told what your next steps should be.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Where were you playing volleyball at, out of curiosity? I play at volley's and the Y leagues.

Me too! I'm currently playing in two WDM leagues and a Waukee league. During the summer I play mens doubles at Volleys and Sands.

Great game!

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I am with ISUfan on this one. Get another opinion. I don't think you would want to leave that chip sit in there for any length of time.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Where were you playing volleyball at, out of curiosity? I play at volley's and the Y leagues.

I play both at Volleys and Y leagues. The next session at the Y starts January 6, so I need to be getting healthy by then. I was playing with a bunch of doctors (very recreational) the Mercy Hospital at their gym when I got hurt. We were doing 4 on 4 coed. They do not do diamond formation, so everyone is confused when the ball lands in the middle. Anyway, me and this other guy from the back row decided to dig the ball and I landed on him. He didn't get hurt and I did.

I have been playing volleyball for quite sometime now. I guess now I know playing rec volleyball especially with people who don't play by the rules could be far more risky.

spanny

Jun 17, 2006
Grimes
Architect, do you like Volley's or the Sands better, I played doubles at Volleys, and we are thinking about doing up the Sands too, what do you think?

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Architect, do you like Volley's or the Sands better, I played doubles at Volleys, and we are thinking about doing up the Sands too, what do you think?

Wait a sec, I think your user name gives up who you are :wink:.

We played together in that Sunday Volleys league! As far as a preference - I prefer the courts at Volleys except for when the sun is going down :sad:.

You been playing at all this winter? I can't wait to start doubles up again! Will be playing Sunday doubles at Volleys and Monday doubles at Sands!

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I might have to get a new partner for the Monday night league though because I don't think Brad can play both nights - his knee really bothers him playing sand ball.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
SnowCraig, have we played your team before at Volleys? My teams played on Sunday 4'ss, 6's, Wednesdays 6's and Thursdays 6's. All intermediate.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Wait a sec, I think your user name gives up who you are :wink:.

We played together in that Sunday Volleys league! As far as a preference - I prefer the courts at Volleys except for when the sun is going down :sad:.

You been playing at all this winter? I can't wait to start doubles up again! Will be playing Sunday doubles at Volleys and Monday doubles at Sands!

I don't play at Cabo any more but when I used to I thought the sun was worse at Cabo than Volleys. (I am talking about Cedar Rapids, not sure if there's another Volleys anywhere else)

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I don't play at Cabo any more but when I used to I thought the sun was worse at Cabo than Volleys. (I am talking about Cedar Rapids, not sure if there's another Volleys anywhere else)

Spanny and I are talking about Volleys in DSM.They built their courts East-West and its brutal playing ~6-8pm during the late summer.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I play Wednesday and Thursday nights 4's. We bounce between 4's II where we usually win it, and 4's I, where we get our butts handed to us often. I have played 6's basically every night depending on the session, so it it possible we have played before!

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
My wife had a similar thing happen when she rolled her ankle on an uneven sidewalk. It took her a while (2-3 months) for her ankle to stop feeling pain after a 3-mile walk.

She went to PT 4-5 times I believe.

Last edited: