ANF....

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
What is it? Is it actually a fundraiser? What does it do to help farmers? Is it just a simple sticker on a helmet? Is it affiliated with anything that has to do with agriculture? I see a lot of Iowa fans with the ANF label on everything from shirts to cars. I looked it up and didn't really get much of a solid answer. If anyone has any insight, it would be great to read.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
It's a simple marketing ploy, good idea by Fry to do it back in the day. But it does legitimately nothing towards agriculture. I think a small portion of profits go to donate food to food banks.

I just love the hypocrisy with hawkeye fans that promote ANF then call us aggies, moo u, etc.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
i think they partnered with an Ag or insurance company a few years ago and maybe a lil $ goes to help farmers, but I'm guessingthe major minority of it stays in pockets of iowa and the corporate sponsor.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It is like all the Breast Cancer "Awareness" stuff. A marketing gimick that doesn't actually funnel any money towards what they are claiming to help

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I would love to see ISU throw an Actually Helping Farmers sticker on their helmets next year during the Iowa game.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They've been spelling it wrong for a few decades now, its supposed to be ALF.
alf_football.jpg

HIDE YO CATS!!!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
WRNL spoofed it and sold AHF (Actually Helping Farmers) shirts and donated all the profit to the ISU College of Agriculture.

So, in a roundabout way, ANF was responsible for that.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
Fry started it during the farm crisis. its been around for 30 years and our fans havent had a problem with it until recently. not sure why. it gave the state national exposure during a very difficult period.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Fry started it during the farm crisis. its been around for 30 years and our fans havent had a problem with it until recently. not sure why. it gave the state national exposure during a very difficult period.

Because it HASN'T been around for the last 30 years. It came off the helmets around the time Ferentz took over and was only put back on the helmets recently. Didn't realize we were currently having a farm crisis - this is nothing other than a marketing ploy. And the biggest problem we have with it is Iowa fans singing the praises of "ANF" one minute and then mocking ISU as "Moo U" the next minute. In other words, we need farmers, but we're still going to treat them like **** when nobody is looking anyway...

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Because it HASN'T been around for the last 30 years. It came off the helmets around the time Ferentz took over and was only put back on the helmets recently. Didn't realize we were currently having a farm crisis - this is nothing other than a marketing ploy. And the biggest problem we have with it is Iowa fans singing the praises of "ANF" one minute and then mocking ISU as "Moo U" the next minute. In other words, we need farmers, but we're still going to treat them like **** when nobody is looking anyway...

Well said. Nothing but a marketing ploy the second go round. Like you said, it was gone for a while and recently brought back. I remember Scheels having ANF stuff all over the place.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I like how people moan about this but then say they teared up over that equally cliche Super Bowl commercial about farming.