And it begins…officially

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I really don't mind players getting paid for their likeness... BUT... I do think there should be some kind of "cap" to keep the recruiting competitive for all the schools.

I don't want to see all the best kids going to the $EC to get Million dollar paydays, when the lesser schools/conferences maybe don't have that kind of clout. I want to see college sports to remain competitive in all the conferences. It makes if more fun in March madness, Bowl season, etc...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Soon. A lawyer friend who's been following this closely told me the SCOTUS ruling opened NCAA up to more lawsuits. He feels we're just one lawsuit away from the NCAA not existing.

We're talking about the new mega conference teams getting 100 million dollar plus annual payouts from TV alone, I would hope that's the point where the obvious conclusion is reached that none of this is a non-profit endeavor.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Do they even have a choice to "honor the existing grant of rights"?

I agree with your observation. I'm no legal expert, it seems they have to adhere to it ... they can stay through end of the agreement or if choose to leave early and pay the exit fee. Either way it's "honoring" it. Maybe it's more complicated than I interpret it.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Jamie's silence says a lot in my opinion. He's got something in the works be it BIG or something else. I'd like to see the other members keep quiet as well and force Texas and OU to give us 20,000,000 before we announce we have something lined up as well.
Don't think for a second the strategy doesn't include how to absorb the buyout, then disband to other conferences.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
We're talking about the new mega conference teams getting 100 million dollar plus annual payouts from TV alone, I would hope that's the point where the obvious conclusion is reached that none of this is a non-profit endeavor.
Assumption: 'mega conference'
Question: What constitutes a mega conference?
What's it worth: And will that be enough to garner 'long-standing' media contracts? If so, how long. BIG risk.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
well they lied in their statement then

"However" - in this case it means, we'll probably be able to afford our buyout in a year or two.
ISU and rest of B12 will get a big payout from Texas and OU for the loss in years, but we'll probably have to try to parlay that into a B10 or P12 membership at reduced payouts for a few years to make it worth their time.

• Agree
Reactions: RealisticCy

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Soon. A lawyer friend who's been following this closely told me the SCOTUS ruling opened NCAA up to more lawsuits. He feels we're just one lawsuit away from the NCAA not existing.
I've thought that the SEC's primary objective all along was to destroy the NCAA by pulling together most of the biggest sports-revenue schools (which really means football-related revenue) and then strangling the NCAA until it fails. After that, they can get rid of all those pesky gnat-like eligibility rules. This would build an empire that would cause athletic programs at non-SEC schools to wither and die. If I knew my Star Wars well enough, I'd know what to call the new league: The _________ Empire.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I've thought that the SEC's primary objective all along was to destroy the NCAA by pulling together most of the biggest sports-revenue schools (which really means football-related revenue) and then strangling the NCAA until it fails. After that, they can get rid of all those pesky gnat-like eligibility rules. This would build an empire that would cause athletic programs at non-SEC schools to wither and die. If I knew my Star Wars well enough, I'd know what to call the new league: The _________ Empire.
Won't work like that. They basically turn themselves into minor league baseball. What a ratings bonanza that is. People watch college football because of the tradition and pageantry. There's already professional leagues of high priced players all about money. Their viewership is tanking.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Won't work like that. They basically turn themselves into minor league baseball. What a ratings bonanza that is. People watch college football because of the tradition and pageantry. There's already professional leagues of high priced players all about money. Their viewership is tanking.
I definitely could see your point, if the NFL would decide they wanted to scout high school players for their draft but I'm more likely to think that the NFL likes colleges to do that leg-work and the reduced number of colleges that could attract talent would ease NFL scouting.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Assumption: 'mega conference'
Question: What constitutes a mega conference?
What's it worth: And will that be enough to garner 'long-standing' media contracts? If so, how long. BIG risk.

I'd say the short ter jump from 40 million payouts to 100 million payouts, plus the conferences growing to 16-20 teams with more separation between the less $ generating leagues.

It's already a joke to call college football "non-profit", now we'd be juicing it up even more and still calling it that? At some point it's a scam that will rightfully be called out for what it is.

• Agree
Reactions: dkdean and Cloneon

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
That's the starting point for negotiation.
"intend" to honor the grant of rights" is the key word here.....they didn't say "will" honor.......This is just smoke and mirrors....their hope is that the B12 falls apart and disbands before then and they don't have to pay out for leaving before the GoR ends. They aren't going to come out and say that's they are done with the BIG 12 officially.....too much money to give up right now from the GoR.....

• Agree
Reactions: RealisticCy

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'd say the short ter jump from 40 million payouts to 100 million payouts, plus the conferences growing to 16-20 teams with more separation between the less $ generating leagues.

It's already a joke to call college football "non-profit", now we'd be juicing it up even more and still calling it that? At some point it's a scam that will rightfully be called out for what it is.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you meant the current remaining P4 conferences grow to 16-20 aggregated into the new super 'division'.

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
it says they will honor the existing GOR, that tells me they will stay till its expired or leave a year early and pay the exit fee, they didnt need to put that language in there imo so why do it?
IT didn't say they will honor it......they they INTEND to honor....provides an exit for them in the language..

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you meant the current remaining P4 conferences grow to 16-20 aggregated into the new super 'division'.

To me that seems a lot closer to the current than what I was imagining. That would be drawing a more solid line between the "power 5" and "group of 5" with maybe a handful of casualties among previous "power 5".

I'm thinking SEC and Big Ten devour the pieces they want of Big 12/ACC and become their own thing. The entire Pac and 60% of BIg12/ACC would be cut out so the SEC and Big Ten members can 2x or 3x their "non profit" cash payouts.

• Informative
Reactions: Cloneon

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
To me that seems a lot closer to the current than what I was imagining. That would be drawing a more solid line between the "power 5" and "group of 5" with maybe a handful of casualties among previous "power 5".

I'm thinking SEC and Big Ten devour the pieces they want of Big 12/ACC and become their own thing. The entire Pac and 60% of BIg12/ACC would be cut out so the SEC and Big Ten members can 2x or 3x their "non profit" cash payouts.
Aren't you sacrificing inventory to arrive at those membership numbers? My belief is anything short of 64 will backfire. Yes, it's a gut feeling, but I think anything short of that alienates too much of the existing product base (still the greater net number of eyeballs).

Reactions: Urbandale2013

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006

I think this is a bad comparison. It doesn't become minor league baseball unless athletic departments are no longer associated with a school, and are instead only an arm of the major league team. I think one of the things that maintains a general fanbase (at least, in the U.S., but I think this counts for many places..) is having an identity-based connection to the team. When in comes to college sports, it's both regional and being involved with the school, if family or friends attended. I do agree, though, that the pageantry and the atmosphere, and the general feeling of it being collegiate, definitely help differentiate college games from professional games, but part of that is continuing to be directly associate with the academic institution.

Besides, it's not like every collegiate sport enjoys the massive popularity of college football just by nature of them being amateur sports, so clearly that isn't the only, or even the largest, factor at play.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron