And it begins…officially

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
well they lied in their statement then

Well, they've been scheming since December to do this, so does that surprise you?

Also, there is a buy out clause in the GOR, so they could still honor the agreement by paying the buyout fee. Saying they will honor it, doesn't mean they are going to stick around until the GOR is officially over.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
They're just saying they'll not be renewing in 2025.

Apparently if it's this way, the B12 will dissolve on its own or OU and UT just have to pay out for the years they're not around.

it says they will honor the existing GOR, that tells me they will stay till its expired or leave a year early and pay the exit fee, they didnt need to put that language in there imo so why do it?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
way better than i hoped, we are good for at least 2 years and a ton can happen between now and then including isu winning the whole thing or a magnetic pole shift changing demographics or sending us all to caves
You're not paying attention to the other hand here, clearly. That's where the dagger is. And two years isn't happening. Two weeks at most.

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
it says they will honor the existing GOR, that tells me they will stay till its expired or leave a year early and pay the exit fee, they didnt need to put that language in there imo so why do it?

i believe they are just saying that with the assumption that enough of the other teams will find new homes and they won’t have to pay the exit fee if the conference doesn’t exist.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

They probably DID need to put that language in there for whatever reason.

I think the assumption (from what I found in other threads) is they make this announcement so other Big 12 teams will leave on their own.

Seems like a passive way of making it the other schools' fault for the implosion.

• Informative
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Cloneon and aauummm

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Jamie's silence says a lot in my opinion. He's got something in the works be it BIG or something else. I'd like to see the other members keep quiet as well and force Texas and OU to give us 20,000,000 before we announce we have something lined up as well.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I would have been surprised if we got a notice that said "we will leave for the SEC in 202x"... This is kind of what I expected.

I think the goal for tex/ou is to say "hey, we are available, come and get us" and see who comes up with the best offer. Also, I assume the real risk OU/Tex see is not short term, but longer term when paying players becomes reality (I think just matter of when not if). Not saying they won't go to the SEC, but I think this is one potential option. They don't want to be locked up until 2030 in a new GOR deal that is no longer competitive (currently media rights in B12 are very competitive with other P5 conf)... they want to have the option to leave at any point. Could still leave early, but not necessarily immediately. I am also curious if the major conf teams (from all conf) start to end their GOR deals and attempt a conf made up of top 20-24 brands in the sport.

Ideal scenario for B12 teams is for OU, Tex, and ND to go to 3 different conferences and each take another B12 team as a partner. Some examples:

ND + ISU to ACC
OU+OSU to B10
Tex + TT to SEC (just an example, switch teams / conf as you wish)

Point is, the more distributed the brand names are the more likely an add on could go with them....

I think the potential of both OU and Tex going to the SEC is a threat to acc/b10/pac and meant to push them to action to better evaluate the options. I guess we will see in the days, weeks ahead... but I think Tx, OU are trying to position themselves for flexibility more then locking themselves to any specific conference quickly.

• Creative
Reactions: aauummm

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
So, does the admission kick in the "we don't have to pay you for 2 years" clause from the Big 12 now?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I’ve been think about this since the SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA. How soon until CFB revenues start becoming taxable? This is no longer public entities sponsoring amateur athletics.
Soon. A lawyer friend who's been following this closely told me the SCOTUS ruling opened NCAA up to more lawsuits. He feels we're just one lawsuit away from the NCAA not existing.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
At this point I’m just pissed this ******** is tax exempt.

At some point this all needs its own section of the tax code. The structure needs a highly progressive rate. First $40M is tax exempt, and then about a 90% - 95% rate on anything over $40M. Also, Billy Bob Booster and SEC "student athlete" need to pay FICA on this employment income. If SEC "student athletes" are banking $1M, I hope they have their quarterly payment schedule set up.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon