An Honest Look at Miller and Deace's (show)

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Personally I am sick of the "family" theme of the show. I know these guys have young kids and try to act like they are all about family but I would really like to hear about my sports from a normal guy. How about throwing in some beer drinking stories, a little frivolity and a good old dose of man talk. I have heard enough Star Wars, Comic Book, AAU Basketball, bromance, daddy daughter date talk to make me puke. Is this really their target audience? Thank God for Bruno late at night. Maybe it's just me but how about something to make me laugh in the morning.
Very self righteous. Specifically the rant against Greg McDermott when he allowed Colvin back early and when Dendy was suspended. Calling out McDermott like he is losing credibility was really a joke. In fact, Deace said Gmac was losing the players and they were probably tuning him out. That entire rant was preaching and made me tune him out. l

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Comparing McDermott's reinstating Colvin to marital infidelity was completely inappropriate/ridiculous. It was borderline offensive to put college basketball on the same level as cheating on your spouse.

But again, they're being sensationalist to attract listeners, which I understand. Getting rating up is their job.

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
I listen to their podcasts everyday. I enjoy their show...I think they are the best show locally on the air slightly ahead of Matt & Miller.

My only issues are:
1. Deace's "I don't have time for that" talk about everything except college football. I realize he has another show and family but I find it hard to believe he can't watch Iowa or ISU basketball occasionally. But he has time to play WWE video games? Fail.
2. They tend to talk about the same things over and over and say the same things over and over.

Other than that, I really like their show.

Sorry, but being the "best show locally" in Des Moines is like being the toughest guy at a Lilith Fair concert.
I can't pile on, because I've only heard bits and pieces of their shows over the years, and saw about 5 minutes of that horrendous tv show they had on public access.
From what I HAVE heard in those few snippets, they sound like a couple of humorless, self-righteous tools. Wouldn't listen to them if they were broadcasting from my kitchen.
Not that I would let them into my kitchen to begin with.

Reactions: CYKID

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sorry, but being the "best show locally" in Des Moines is like being the toughest guy at a Lilith Fair concert.
I can't pile on, because I've only heard bits and pieces of their shows over the years, and saw about 5 minutes of that horrendous tv show they had on public access.
From what I HAVE heard in those few snippets, they sound like a couple of humorless, self-righteous tools. Wouldn't listen to them if they were broadcasting from my kitchen.
Not that I would let them into my kitchen to begin with.

LOL. There are plenty of scary characters at Lilith Fair, who would likely beat the crap out of most anyone. But you're right, they are not "guys."

I worked for a radio station back in the day, and our music director, Mark, got some press passes to one of the Lilith Fair shows in Chicago. Mark was a good sized guy, about 6'4, 200+ lbs, and basically looked the part of a long-haired biker. He told me when he got back, that he had never been so scared in his life. He said he was pretty much tagged as "the enemy" from the moment he walked in, was verbally threatened multiple times, and seemed to be the center of mosh pits that would curiously form around him, surprising because Ani Difranco isn't exactly moshing music. He didn't make it through the whole show.

Last edited:

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
I think thats what I put on the other board. I wish they could get and actual Cyclone fan in there. All those to want to do is pund their pud on how good the big 10 is when they really ain't.

westcyedclone

Jan 22, 2010
Waukee
When John Miller used to fill in for Steve on Steve's old show I will have to admit that I despised the guy. He was your typical arrogant Hawk homer when he first got on the air. I give him credit though, he realized like any good businessman would that he was alienating half of his listening audience. He wants job security and he started warming up to the clones a little bit and I think he offers a pretty objective viewpoint. I enjoy listening to John and I have always liked Steve's shows.
I do remember on their old Medicom show "State of the Nations" when GMAC was hired Steve went on a tangent about how this was a Final Four type hire for ISU and Miller almost fell off his chair laughing.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
long post cliff notes
1: SD doesnt pretend to love the cyclones, he is a Michigan fan
2: JM is far less of a hok homer than he use to be.
3: Both know more about sports than 99% of us.
4: SD is smarter than all of us on this board.
5: They have lives outside of work, thus they talk about them. Do you only talk about work at work?
6: If you hated, you wouldnt listen.
7: I would rather listen to Helen Keller than Cotlar, so SD and JM are not that bad imo.

thread/

You can group yourself in there but don't include me please.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
:biglaugh:

Deace isn't a dumb *** by any stretch, but this is ridiculous. You under estimate the IQ of Cyclone Nation. He's shown an inability to understand viewpoints he doesn't agree with.

I enjoy the show. I think they get a bit sensationalist at times, but it's obvious, whether or not they acknowledge it that a lot of that is to drive up ratings and getting people chattering. It is what it is, ya know? My only problem is when Deace goes off on a political/religious tangent. He has a bully pulpit over on WHO for that. I agree that Miller has gotten a LOT better and is less of a Hawk homer than he used to be, but sometimes he pulls some real groaners.

I guess, I find the fact that they **** me off sometimes to be entertaining. Listening to the radio and agreeing with everything all the time would get old. Controversy gets you going a bit, at least for me it does. I'm also starting to appreciate the fact that ISU doesn't have a homer in the local sports talk scene, because we get to hear things more objectively. Miller, although he's gotten a lot better, will always paint a rosier picture in Hawk land than probably exists, but we get reality, or something a little harsher, which allows us to objectively assess, and make us better in the end.

Couldn't agree more with the political/religious rhetoric SD brings. He has a whole other show dedicated to those topics. I would only ask for that **** not to be a part of the ONLY local sports talk radio show available on my way to work. There really is no place for it. (I'll admit, I do get sick of hearing about Michigan, but not nearly as much as the other crap).

Other than that, I think the show is fine. Though I readily admit that could very well be due to the aforementioned lack of options at 6:30 AM.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
We could look at it this way. If you were have a choice between the following shows, who would you listen to?
Miller and Deace, Matt and Miller, the noon garbage on 1700, or six two and even.
1. Miller and Deace
2. Matt and Miller
3. Tirrell
4. Cotlar
1460 definitely does better with local programming than 1700. They have decent discussions most of the time. I get sick of their promos more than anything.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Personally I am sick of the "family" theme of the show. I know these guys have young kids and try to act like they are all about family but I would really like to hear about my sports from a normal guy. How about throwing in some beer drinking stories, a little frivolity and a good old dose of man talk. I have heard enough Star Wars, Comic Book, AAU Basketball, bromance, daddy daughter date talk to make me puke. Is this really their target audience? Thank God for Bruno late at night. Maybe it's just me but how about something to make me laugh in the morning.

No, No, No, No. That's what the morning show on Lazer 103 is for. I want sports, period end of discussion. No break down of Lost (I've never seen a single eposide), no preaching from the moral pulpit. No "Beat It" Segements. No Loser of the Week, etc.

Why is it so hard just to talk sports?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think their commercial timing is abysmal. They have a 6-7 minute commercial break from 7:48ish to 7:55ish then they come back to say by. MOST people have commutes during that time and like me would enjoy sports talk and not commercials.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Mildly annoying is Steve's talking about how Cyclone fans don't consider him a real Clone, and that he is shunned by the Aryan-Clone. It's not that we don't want him in our corner, it's just that he makes it clear that he is a Michigan fan. That's where his heart is. He likes the Clones, and roots for us, but he's a Michigan fan. The Cyclones are secondary. For us the Cyclones are primary.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, I don't get KXNO's "clock" either. From 6:50 to about 7:05 it's basically 15 minutes worth of commericals and other jibberish (Fox Sports update, totally useless traffic reports, and weather (we know it's freaking cold and miserable out) from about 6:50 to 8:05.

I used to commute form (more or less) Waukee to Drake every morning. I actually found the traffic reports useful. There were a couple of times when accidents had 235 totally shut down and I was able to exit, take University and get to class on time.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
LOL. There are plenty of scary characters at Lilith Fair, who would likely beat the crap out of most anyone. But you're right, they are not "guys."

I worked for a radio station back in the day, and our music director, Mark, got some press passes to one of the Lilith Fair shows in Chicago. Mark was a good sized guy, about 6'4, 200+ lbs, and basically looked the part of a long-haired biker. He told me when he got back, that he had never been so scared in his life. He said he was pretty much tagged as "the enemy" from the moment he walked in, was verbally threatened multiple times, and seemed to be the center of mosh pits that would curiously form around him, surprising because Ani Difranco isn't exactly moshing music. He didn't make it through the whole show.

Cool story, bro.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'd rather have Cotlar & Co. back actually. Do Miller & Deace ever take calls or do interviews because I hardly ever hear them if they do. At least Cotlar brought on some good national and local people to talk about things and keep the show flowing. Anymore all the ever do is rip on and talk about how bad the basketball programs are in the state of Iowa and it feels like the movie Groundhog Day every morning I turn them on anymore.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd rather have Cotlar & Co. back actually. Do Miller & Deace ever take calls or do interviews because I hardly ever hear them if they do. At least Cotlar brought on some good national and local people to talk about things and keep the show flowing. Anymore all the ever do is rip on and talk about how bad the basketball programs are in the state of Iowa and it feels like the movie Groundhog Day every morning I turn them on anymore.

:confused:

M&D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The CotMan

You must be a big Drake basketball fan I take it. Cotlar's show was, well, bad.

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
I know way more about sports than John Miller

I would put my knowledge vs Steve Deace

I like their show

I loved the Bryan Adams stuff yesterday

I also like the WWF stuff

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I've listened to enough of the Deace and Miller, Marty and McDermott, and Matt and Miller shows to come to the conclusion the BEST PURE SPORTS talk show in this market is Matt and Miller. They don't shove their home lives down our throats like Miller and Deace and they don't spend most of their show promoting a local business like Marty and McDermott. They actually talk sports, both local and national. And they actually do a pretty good job of it.

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
Yeah, I don't get KXNO's "clock" either. From 6:50 to about 7:05 it's basically 15 minutes worth of commericals and other jibberish (Fox Sports update, totally useless traffic reports, and weather (we know it's freaking cold and miserable out) from about 6:50 to 8:05.

KXNO's clock is no different than any other stations. They know that the majority of people tune during their commute. Most people have a commute from 7:40-8. Therefore, it is smart business to run a ton of commercials from 7:40-8 to keep your advertisers happy. I listen to the show every day from 7:15- 7:45 and I am satisfied with the amount of "talk" during that time.