Alford and his troubles at UofI

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
Bernstein: UCLA Hired A Scumbag « CBS Chicago

Sad, but near complete rehash of the Alford / Pierce coverup. I complained during the fiasco about the local press being unwilling to actually cover the story. They chose to be enablers of rapists instead of publishing stories that put a negative light on UofI. I don't blame Iowa for recruiting dirtbag, lots of schools do that. I don't blame their coach for defending their player, every coach has to try to. Alford crossed a line and used an organization supposedly affiliated with religion, to attempt to get the victim to recant her story. I hope Alford goes down as the worst coach in UCLA history and is fired soon, as he should have been fired 10 years ago for his attempted coverup. What a jerk.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
It's not just Alford, the whole U of I organization is set up to protect itself. Like I said in the thread yesterday, that athletic academic advisor was just as skeezy, and they covered that up as well.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
sadly, this is how I found out about UCLA's next coach. More sadly, people are obsessed with hating on anything Iowa related.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
the Iowa media ALWAYS acts as enablers when it comes to UofI's mishaps. Rhabdo, team drug testing, multiple rape cases, etc. They are afraid to lose access if they dig too deep and ask the tough questions that will make the university look bad.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Bernstein loves to write about this type of stuff, so this article doesn't really surprise me. You should see all the articles he wrote about Paterno.

Alford is definitely a big scumbag. I hope he fails miserably at UCLA.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Between this incident and the football team assault - it's a rather pathetic reflection on the university.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
sadly, this is how I found out about UCLA's next coach. More sadly, people are obsessed with hating on anything Iowa related.

It's sad if you think this has anything to do with Iowa. Sure, he coached there while this happened but I'd like to think people would have the same reaction to this if Alford coached at Stanford, Florida or any other school.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

While I would normally agree with you Farnsy, the obsession with Iowa here is pathetic at times, I'm comfortable with my disdain for Alford and what the U of I will do to protect it's interests. It's not Penn State, but it resembles Penn State, and it's something that's wrong with big athletics. When something gets so big that protecting it requires you to be a horrible human being, it is too big and needs to be fixed or destroyed.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
It's not just Alford, the whole U of I organization is set up to protect itself. Like I said in the thread yesterday, that athletic academic advisor was just as skeezy, and they covered that up as well.

Read: eastern Iowa media in general.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I hate Iowa obsession more than most. But that's not the issue here. We know about it more because it happened in this state. That's all.

Alford can rot in a pile of maggots.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008

inappropriate thread for a comment like this

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
the Iowa media ALWAYS acts as enablers when it comes to UofI's mishaps. Rhabdo, team drug testing, multiple rape cases, etc. They are afraid to lose access if they dig too deep and ask the tough questions that will make the university look bad.

Oh, you ain't kidding. There were 2 local media places that broke that advisor thing...one was the paper (Press-Citizen) and one was a local radio station that is a bunch of hawk homers that want an upstanding school to be proud of so they outed it. The whole machine was out to hang them, but it got out too far, too quickly.

*edit, there were, not there was.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Read: eastern Iowa media in general.

There were 2 local media places that broke that advisor thing...one was the paper (Press-Citizen) and one was a local radio station that is a bunch of hawk homers that want an upstanding school to be proud of so they outed it. The whole machine was out to hang them, but it got out too far, too quickly.

The media is only complicit in the fact that they know without access to the U, the Iowa fans don't pay attention to them. Without eyeballs or ears, the traditional media is dying a slow death. So they shut up and go along.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
The media is only complicit in the fact that they know without access to the U, the Iowa fans don't pay attention to them. Without eyeballs or ears, the traditional media is dying a slow death. So they shut up and go along.

That might be true. Or maybe they're just raised as homers.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The Iowa media is somewhat responsible for this one but so is all media in general. Look at the Steubenville case if you haven't, the media member who exposed that was from the New York Times, not local media. The state of media and journalism in this country is sad. Very few people are asking the right questions.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
There was a great story by the Gazette--I think-- about the nepotism of Ferentz and his future son-in-law (and of course brought in the relevant fact he hired his own son) and even the seat warmer Mims who picked a committee to hire his daughter.
There was even a thread on here about it at the time. Now, I am not going to pass judgement on those particular cases brought up in the good story....but what is disturbing is what have we hear since then? .....crickets. nothing. The Big U PR/damage control machine kicked into high gear and absolutely snuffed not even all stories about it, but even mentioning it. It is pretty crazy. It think the art of manipulation and propaganda has actually gotten easier even with the internet because the Powerful know how to use it/scrub it/ alter it/ manipulate it.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006

images

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The Iowa media is somewhat responsible for this one but so is all media in general. Look at the Steubenville case if you haven't, the media member who exposed that was from the New York Times, not local media. The state of media and journalism in this country is sad. Very few people are asking the right questions.

To be fair, the Register has been extremely busy trying to make ISU look bad over the Harkin thing.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY