After seeing OU vs WVU: subtract 1 toss-up game

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
"Dear Mr Holgerson,

Thank you for showing up to Jack Trice Stadium today. Regretfully, we had decided not to show up to play your Mountaineers today. Please accept this note, a win, and this basket of freshly baked cookies as consolation for your trouble.

Have a safe flight home.

Sincerely
CPR"

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
K State played Auburn tight.

Oh how I love the transitive theory in sports. Sure, KSU left 16 points on the field and could have won, but how many long passes did wide open Auburn recievers just flat out drop? There were probably 3 or 4 sure TD's that fell right through their hands. Auburn couldn't catch a cold in that first half and let KSU hang around.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
ISU, with Mangino in control of the offense, will continue to improve throughout the year. WVU will fizzle under Dana. You get them in Ames. I'll take the Clones, thank you.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I'll feel scared of WVU when the last week of the season comes. So far in the Big 12 they imploded once Big 12 began and the next year they were bad. I'll hold judgement for that team and program once November starts. Clint, their QB, has taken 22 sacks this year(8th worst in the Big 12) and only weighs 180 pounds. If he keeps up a punishment like that, he won't be playing come November.

EDIT: I was looking at last year's stats.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/25354/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html

WVU has allowed the most sacks in the Big 12. Their QB has been sacked 11 times through 4 games. He won't be able to take that kind of punishment all season.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'll feel scared of WVU when the last week of the season comes. So far in the Big 12 they imploded once Big 12 began and the next year they were bad. I'll hold judgement for that team and program once November starts. Clint, their QB, has taken 22 sacks this year(8th worst in the Big 12) and only weighs 180 pounds. If he keeps up a punishment like that, he won't be playing come November.

EDIT: I was looking at last year's stats.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/25354/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html

WVU has allowed the most sacks in the Big 12. Their QB has been sacked 11 times through 4 games. He won't be able to take that kind of punishment all season.

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

To be fair, it is only 3/4 of a sack per game than Sam is absorbing. But I hope you are right.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I bet people thought we looked "good" against K-State. Or great in that 2011 Oklahoma State game. Teams have a tendency to get up for the top ranked opponents.

I agree that WVU looks good and as of now I'd expect them to beat ISU by about 2+ TDs, but will be interesting if they play with the same intensity against KU and Tech the next few weeks.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
Get your pessimistic attitude outta here. We shoulda beat K State and K State played Auburn tight. Will teams be favored over ISU? Absolutely. IMO every game can be a toss up. Who knows, it could be raining like crazy that day, WVU could be without their starting QB and RB and may have an off day and ISU may have it all clicking, who knows. I'm tired of people automatically chalking up some games as losses. I know one thing, I'm glad those kind of people aren't in the ISU lockerroom, those kids and coaches believe in each other and I wish more of our fans would too

believ it or not, not every game is a coin toss. oh yeah, I didn't factor inclement weather to the equation. Good point!

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Last year WV lost to OU by 9 in Norman. WV goes on to lose to ISU and OU beats Alabama.

This year WV lost by 12 at home. Let's see how they are doing in November before thinking we can't hang with them.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Bama is overrated. No way they are the #2 team in the nation.
I would agree. At least right now. By the end of the year though I really think they might be the best team in college football. Also, I love watching Blake Sims the QB they have starting this year.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Last year WV lost to OU by 9 in Norman. WV goes on to lose to ISU and OU beats Alabama.

This year WV lost by 12 at home. Let's see how they are doing in November before thinking we can't hang with them.
A lot can change. Oklahoma was really a bad team when WVU played them early on. I thought they were possibly the most improved team in college football last year.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
WVU has had several years now where they've started very well and fizzled in the middle to late part of the year. By November 29th, in Ames, I feel ok about it.

True we fizzled when we had Geno, Tavon, and Stedman. That year we had one of the worst defenses in the country...we are much better on that side of the ball this year. Also, Holgs has said several times that we are as deep as we've ever been...hopefully that will translate into a solid team all the way through the season. That said, you all can upset anyone at Jack Trice.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
True we fizzled when we had Geno, Tavon, and Stedman. That year we had one of the worst defenses in the country...we are much better on that side of the ball this year. Also, Holgs has said several times that we are as deep as we've ever been...hopefully that will translate into a solid team all the way through the season. That said, you all can upset anyone at Jack Trice.
Not saying this isn't true, but be careful to not take this too far when a coach has said this.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
A lot can change. Oklahoma was really a bad team when WVU played them early on. I thought they were possibly the most improved team in college football last year.

Yep, OU became a different team during halftime of the ISU game for the rest of the season. About the same timing that WV usually goes south during the season.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Last game of their season, this year we've got TCU after.

Correct, but by November 29 we don't know what players on both teams will be injured, to what extent they will improve or regress and we don't know what Northwest Iowa weather will be but we know it has the potential to be nasty.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Correct, but by November 29 we don't know what players on both teams will be injured, to what extent they will improve or regress and we don't know what Northwest Iowa weather will be but we know it has the potential to be nasty.

What does the weather in Northwest Iowa have to do with this?