After seeing OU vs WVU: subtract 1 toss-up game

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
Some people are talking about WVU as toss-up game. (eg see my thread about going bowling possibly coming down to WVU & TU). after watching them play the Sooners I feel sobered. thinking- whoa. we don't have a chance against these Mountaineers. So much speed and explosiveness on both sides of the ball.

First, what's stopping them from being a top 25 team? granted they haven't won, but they've gone toe to toe with 2 top ten teams. Second, WVU is not a toss-up game on our schedule.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep they look pretty good, and of course we never win games we aren't supposed to right?

Though honestly they probably would be ranked low 20's if they were in the SEC. Not kidding

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I texted my brother during that game that it looks like ISU's offense is going to have to score a hell of a lot to keep up with either of those teams.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
WVU has had several years now where they've started very well and fizzled in the middle to late part of the year. By November 29th, in Ames, I feel ok about it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Some people are talking about WVU as toss-up game. (eg see my thread about going bowling possibly coming down to WVU & TU). after watching them play the Sooners I feel sobered. thinking- whoa. we don't have a chance against these Mountaineers. So much speed and explosiveness on both sides of the ball.

First, what's stopping them from being a top 25 team? granted they haven't won, but they've gone toe to toe with 2 top ten teams. Second, WVU is not a toss-up game on our schedule.

What would you say about KSu had we not played them? Probably the same thing and I would argue that they completely gave a game away rather than gotten beat. My opinion is that OU isn't quite as good as everyone thought. Very good, yes, but not unbeatable.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
WVU has had several years now where they've started very well and fizzled in the middle to late part of the year. By November 29th, in Ames, I feel ok about it.

Holgersen said at the end of last year that his team just wasn't prepared well enough for the long grind of the Big 12 season, and they would have to prepare differently this year. I guess we'll find out whether he's fixed the problem.

Last edited:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'm still not real sure what to think about WVU. I was really impressed with them in the first half of the Maryland game. They looked like they were good enough to run Maryland out of the stadium but then they almost found a way to lose that one.

We'll see if they can hold it together for the entire season. My guess is their season will be a roller coaster ride with some good wins and some bad loses by the time they play in Ames.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So hard to tell right now. Maybe everyone's defense isn't up to par? Most schools look fast, and even we have some speed for once. I think the college landscape is a much more even example of talent across the board. That's why you have teams beating teams they have no place in beating. Good game planning and execution are usually what get wins in college. Not always pure and raw talent.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought this when they played Alabama. WVU may have the #1 schedule in the nation. They are back to where they can really move the ball.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"Toss up" is an opinion. In my opinion, they could all go either way, though some are admittedly more likely than others.

How about basically 3rd toughest game on the schedule which is how I see it. Unfortunately they are very improved from last year but a brutal schedule doesn't show it.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO

Get your pessimistic attitude outta here. We shoulda beat K State and K State played Auburn tight. Will teams be favored over ISU? Absolutely. IMO every game can be a toss up. Who knows, it could be raining like crazy that day, WVU could be without their starting QB and RB and may have an off day and ISU may have it all clicking, who knows. I'm tired of people automatically chalking up some games as losses. I know one thing, I'm glad those kind of people aren't in the ISU lockerroom, those kids and coaches believe in each other and I wish more of our fans would too

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
WVU seems to be a team that gets up for big games early in the season. They then fade as the conference schedule grinds on.

Still listing them as a toss up until they break this pattern.

But if I had to list the order of the last three games considering the way the teams have played so far, WVU looks like the hardest of the three.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Get your pessimistic attitude outta here. We shoulda beat K State and K State played Auburn tight. Will teams be favored over ISU? Absolutely. IMO every game can be a toss up. Who knows, it could be raining like crazy that day, WVU could be without their starting QB and RB and may have an off day and ISU may have it all clicking, who knows. I'm tired of people automatically chalking up some games as losses. I know one thing, I'm glad those kind of people aren't in the ISU lockerroom, those kids and coaches believe in each other and I wish more of our fans would too

Or the field could be solid ice from hashmarks to sidelines...wait...that could never happen.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
It is the last game of the season. It is difficult to predict a football game that far in advance but I wouldn't stipulate to West Virginia being better than ISU simply because they avoided being blown out by Alabama and Oklahoma.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It is the last game of the season. It is difficult to predict a football game that far in advance but I wouldn't stipulate to West Virginia being better than ISU simply because they avoided being blown out by Alabama and Oklahoma.

Last game of their season, this year we've got TCU after.