Advice for quitting drinking for a month

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I definitely don't drink as much or often as I used to either. Occasionally I'll let loose and have some fun, but I don't miss it. I'm more of a social drinker now.

If you're having sleeping troubles, I recommend a ZMA (zinc & magnesium supplement) 45 minutes before bed. The dosage they say is 3 pills for guys, but I only take 1 and then half the time I take a unisom gummy on top of that. It has a little melatonin, lemon balm and passion flower so it says its natural. That usually helps me sleep through the night and calms ya down right before bed. Also, get a decent exercise routine in the mix.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've never understood why anyone drinks if they aren't going to get ****** up, but that's just the alcoholic in me. I could never just have a few. I'm not wired like that.
I think this is how I knew I wasn’t an alcoholic when I was over doing it. I have 0 issues having one or two drinks and stopping. There are certainly times where I want to drink more than that, but during the work week or if I’m having a nice dinner out, or have to drive or whatever, it doesn’t bother me at all to have a small amount of alcohol and then stop.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I did dry January, went back to "normal" during the spring and then went back to like one drink per week since May. For me, reading a book that talked about how alcohol impacts your body (and it was women-specific) really turned it off for me almost immediately. Like reading that it impacts your sleep for 3-4 days, worsens anxiety, kills brain cells - it just killed the desire to drink.

It probably helps that during that same time frame I found that I was severely iron-deficient which was contributing to symptoms that then increased why I wanted to drink (anxious, irritable, tired). So fixing that helped reduction in drinking.

I almost exclusively did mixed drinks so first swapping out my own homemade mocktails and caffeine free pop was an easy switch. And again, addressing the underlying deficiency and reinforcing that alcohol was worsening not improving the symptoms I had really helped.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Hello all!
So a little backstory, I drank really heavily when I was in college like 5 days a week and since then I really haven't binge drank except maybe 9 times in over 8 years.

Since my crazy undergrad days, I've had about 2 standard drinks per day, averaging for a total of 14 per week, trying to keep in line with what the previous health studies said about drinking in moderation. Mostly because I was using those 2 drinks as a night cap to fall asleep quicker.
I never had a reason to quit because it wasn't hurting my relationships, my job, and my health. (usually the signs that you need to quit drinking)

Well I'm having a lot of digestive problems and decided I would take a month off booze to see if I could reset everything. (since I haven't really given my body a true break since graduating college.)

Anything to look out for or helpful recommendations for anyone else who has done this? 31 years old btw

Thank you
I went dry for 3 months a few years ago, and have since gone for 1 month stretches in the winters and springs probably 3 or 4 times. As you might imagine, if you're a daily drinker getting through that first week is the toughest, especially that first weekend. One thing I'd do is anytime the craving was getting heavy is find some activity to get myself into... get the leash out and walk the dog, clean the house and vacuum, mow the lawn (even if it didn't absolutely need it), get in a quick workout. After that first week/weekend it definitely smoothed out for me and when I went 3 months I wasn't even really thinking about it after a few weeks.

One thing I'd also suggest is, if you're not already, adding in some kind of exercise/workout regimen. As long as your diet doesn't change, cutting out alcohol will result in you losing some weight. Adding in some regular workouts along with cutting out those empty calories should get you into some solid shape. I lost just short of 30 pounds when I went dry for 3 months, and that was with some exercise but nothing crazy.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I'm getting the impression that sleeping might not be the issue. I like the ideas from other posts that suggest regular exercise.... That works huge for me. If sleep is an issue, I use this sleep aid that Walgreens sells... I forget the name of it but they are blue gel caps. They help me a lot.

Reactions: deadeyededric

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
When my wife was pregnant, I did as much as I could to not drink out of solidarity, and found the following:
  • Athletic Brewing Company actually made some really good NA beers that I actually enjoyed the taste of, and I saw recently that they just came out with a bunch of new flavors/styles for the fall
  • A favorite Mocktail for us was mixing Pineapple Juice with Ginger Beer (despite the name, no alcohol in GB)
  • Absolutely, never ever ever ever, for any means, try NA wine. That is just straight garbage

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I’ve never been interested in quitting drinking altogether, but I take sabbaticals pretty regularly. Longest was a month off about 6-7 years ago when I was going too hard.

Frankly, unless you’re physically addicted (which it sounds like you aren’t even close to) it isn’t that hard. Keep busy with the things you like to do for sure. I’m extremely busy with work about 3-4 months a year and drink very little during these times.

When I want to cut out alcohol, I really like NA beers. Athletic makes the best, but the Budweiser and Heineken 0’s are really solid. I’ve also used THC in these situations to at least kinda mimic the inebriation (but I don’t find THC as enjoyable).

My guess is your alcohol intake isn’t causing your digestive issues, but beer specifically might.
Yeah, I don't think I'm interested in quitting all together. I just want to get to get to a reset point and not rely on it for a sleeping aid.

Also, want to get rid of the moobs that have slowly developed over the years. To everyone talking about exercise, I run 4-5 miles, 5 days a week. So the exercise piece is taken care of for me.

I think the only time I was physically addicted was after VEISHEA one year, had a panic attack the Sunday after. Not fun, I cut back on alcohol a ton after that

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd also like to know about this for after my month is done. It's hard finding a lot of good tasting lower ABV beers, as all breweries seem to be pushing higher & higher ABV beers out
Tons of great lower ABV beers out there. I rarely drink anything over 5%. When I drink I prefer maintaining a mellow buzz, not getting loaded.

• Agree

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Quitting smoking was difficult for me, until I googled "what happens to my body when I quit smoking". I found a list that detailed the changes after 5 minutes, an hour, a day, a week and so on. Really some great motivation. And I was a 25 year smoker. Haven't touched 'em since.
I know it's not the same, but as others have mentioned, it's a habit that you're trying to change.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
There's a lot of things that could be causing your gut issues. Alcohol actually does kill off your good bacteria and generally inhibits growth of good bacteria. So if you're struggling to quit, find a good probiotic that helps restore that and it should help with your digestion. If you drink a lot of coffee with it too, then that can be problematic with your gut microflora. Fried foods and other certain foods can be pretty acidic and affects bacteria. I have crohns so I've had this issue for a long time. I switched from regular coffee to a medicinal mushroom coffee and I actually have benefitted quite a bit from the change. It's got a lot of natural products in it that help with the mind, mood, and gut. It's called amazing coffee from superfoods company (I know what a creative name lol) and can be pretty reasonable when sales go on and you order in bulk. Also, if you're really wanting to make headway with what can be affecting your gut, I recommend a food sensitivity test. Everlywell makes one that you can do and they tell you what you're more sensitive to and you could avoid those foods a little more regularly.

About a year ago I was having real bad anxiety and other issues and once I started this coffee back in February/March it has really helped calm me down and improved my mood. I don't get the coffee jitters like I used to and it's a steady alertness, not what coffee does. You may not like it, obviously its not for everyone, but it did help me a lot.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I really think the hard part is just doing it. I'm pretty much in the same boat - never binge drink but more often than not have 1-2 at night. I try to have at least 2 nights a week where I don't have any, but the only way that usually happens is to not have it on hand.

Part of the reason is to just always make sure I can do it. The second is the quality of sleep is better. For me, if nothing else boosting the odds that I don't have to get up and piss a couple times is worth it.

Personally I think the odds of success and results are better to incorporate regular dry spells each week first. In my opinion that is really building a better routine you can stick with forever vs. having a dry month.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Quitting smoking was difficult for me, until I googled "what happens to my body when I quit smoking". I found a list that detailed the changes after 5 minutes, an hour, a day, a week and so on. Really some great motivation. And I was a 25 year smoker. Haven't touched 'em since.
I know it's not the same, but as others have mentioned, it's a habit that you're trying to change.
I dipped from the time I was 12 until I was 39 and I think quitting tobacco was harder than quitting drinking.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I dipped from the time I was 12 until I was 39 and I think quitting tobacco was harder than quitting drinking.
I also dipped from 16-29. I was a wrestler and had a ton of baseball friends in high school, bad combo. Quitting that was rough, but 2.5 years clean from it today.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Yeah, I don't think I'm interested in quitting all together. I just want to get to get to a reset point and not rely on it for a sleeping aid.

Also, want to get rid of the moobs that have slowly developed over the years. To everyone talking about exercise, I run 4-5 miles, 5 days a week. So the exercise piece is taken care of for me.

I think the only time I was physically addicted was after VEISHEA one year, had a panic attack the Sunday after. Not fun, I cut back on alcohol a ton after that
Running is fine, but lifting weights will actually change your body more with better results. You don't absolutely need to use free weights. There are home workouts that are effective, but doing free weights and things like rowing will be way more effective on your moobs than running. I hate to say it, but trust me bro haha. Or start doing a hell of a lot of pushups and shoulder workouts.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I’ve actually met quite a few alcoholics who weren’t physically addicted. They didn’t crave booze, but when they chose to drink they just couldn’t stop until the wheels came off.

The worst alcoholic I’ve ever known (we’re talking spending every waking moment hammered for over a year with multiple OWIs) detoxed in a jail cell without any dangerous withdrawals. You have to drink a ton to get that level of physical addiction that nicotine has.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I really think the hard part is just doing it. I'm pretty much in the same boat - never binge drink but more often than not have 1-2 at night. I try to have at least 2 nights a week where I don't have any, but the only way that usually happens is to not have it on hand.

Part of the reason is to just always make sure I can do it. The second is the quality of sleep is better. For me, if nothing else boosting the odds that I don't have to get up and piss a couple times is worth it.

Personally I think the odds of success and results are better to incorporate regular dry spells each week first. In my opinion that is really building a better routine you can stick with forever vs. having a dry month.

The book I read talked about how the dichotomy of the idea of sobriety/relapse really becomes offputting. She framed it as if you quit and then go back to drinking - you are practicing. You're trying out what works for you. That idea of "practicing" sobriety really hit with me and it makes sense. Other areas of our life - exercise, sleep habits - going full on 100% off the bat doesn't generally last. Sustainable habits are generally built more slowly and with practice. If you miss a workout you don't go back to never working out. You try again the next day/week. So if you want to reduce alcohol intake, practice and don't think of it as all or nothing forever.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I recently have started drinking hop waters and have been really impressed. I was previously over-indulging in light beers a little too frequently. I found hop waters to provide just enough flavor that gives the impression of drinking a beer and the carbonation was also filling me up faster and I haven't been drinking as many. It also helps that hop water is 0 alcohol, 0 carbs and is gluten free.

Ankeny Costco used to have Lagunitas hop water in bulk but I don't think they have resupplied. That's a good one. I also found a Citra-flavored hop water in Ames and West Des Moines Hy-Vee Wine & Spirit section that tastes exactly like a citra beer. I also just had confluences hop water this past weekend and that was pretty good as well - I've heard that you can drink this for free if you visit Confluence tap room, but I can't verify if this is the case.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron