Advice for quitting drinking for a month

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Just checking in, 59 days and I'm not going to lie, it's been pretty easy.
I've cleaned up my diet quite a bit since my Hyperkinetic Gallbladder Dyskinesia diagnosis.
I met with a GI for a second opinion a week before my scheduled gallbladder removal surgery.
They advised against removal, so I canceled the surgery.
(SO glad I got a second opinion instead of just listening to what the general surgeon wanted to do)
I just eat a lower fat diet with lean proteins (no red meat, fried food etc,) GI distress is pretty much nonexistent now.

Still don't know what to make of my platelet and wbc counts though, could just be normal for me.
WBC avg is 4.2, Platelet avg is 178 and I got another ultrasound to be sure of my liver being safe, normal in size, homogeneous in echotexture, all veins normal and patent, and no lesions.
Me being a hypochondriac and generally anxious makes me think I still did damage to my liver, but doctors say otherwise.

Anyways if you read all of this, thanks lol
As long as your WBC is above 4 you’re still in the “normal” range albeit on the low side of that range. As long as you’re going to your regular checkups and getting blood work done it’s nothing to be too concerned about. Your physician knows to monitor it and it’s very possible thats “normal” for you like you mentioned.

Congrats on 60 days!!!

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I can't help but feel alcohol is the new smoking. People are finally waking up to how dumb and destructive it is. At the tailgate lot at JTS? I'll for sure have a few beers, super bowl or bowl game party? Sure, I'll drink a few beers. Outside of those special occasions I don't touch it. Its god awful for your mind, body and soul. I grew up with alcoholics in the house, I would never put my kinds through that chaos.

Good for anyone that quits.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
As long as your WBC is above 4 you’re still in the “normal” range albeit on the low side of that range. As long as you’re going to your regular checkups and getting blood work done it’s nothing to be too concerned about. Your physician knows to monitor it and it’s very possible thats “normal” for you like you mentioned.

Congrats on 60 days!!!
I looked at my WBC counts for the past 8 years, it's always in around in that range. So I suppose it probably is normal.
One time it was 3.4 and I got sent to a hematologist, then he took my blood there and it was 4.8 and he was like, yeah I don't need to see you lol.

And thank you!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't help but feel alcohol is the new smoking. People are finally waking up to how dumb and destructive it is. At the tailgate lot at JTS? I'll for sure have a few beers, super bowl or bowl game party? Sure, I'll drink a few beers. Outside of those special occasions I don't touch it. Its god awful for your mind, body and soul. I grew up with alcoholics in the house, I would never put my kinds through that chaos.

I think what you see in childhood really impacts how you view alcohol.

I grew up in an extended family where all the adults drank on a regular basis, and what I observed is that people who were wound up tight enough to turn a lump of coal into a diamond, and had a tendency to argue with each other most of the time, were able to lighten up, relax, and actually treat each other better after a couple of drinks. It wasn't chaotic at all and I was actually glad when they drank, because they were going to be emotionally warmer and just more enjoyable to be around. Also, all of these people are very successful, driven, and hard working. Alcohol never got in the way of those pursuits. I'm sure I'd have a more negative opinion of booze if I grew up around angry alcoholics who's lives were in shambles. In my family, alcohol was always present, but it was almost never at the root of the negative dynamics in the family, and if anything seemed to assuage them a bit.

There are a lot of people who's negative effects from alcohol are purely physical and it can actually be a positive in their inter-personal relationships (IE soul/mind of things). Obviously there are many people for whom that's not the case.

Alcohol is a very strange drug in that it effects people's mental state in very different ways depending on the brain chemistry of the person involved.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

I grew up in an extended family where all the adults drank on a regular basis, and what I observed is that people who were wound up tight enough to turn a lump of coal into a diamond, and had a tendency to argue with each other most of the time, were able to lighten up, relax, and actually treat each other better after a couple of drinks. It wasn't chaotic at all and I was actually glad when they drank, because they were going to be emotionally warmer and just more enjoyable to be around. Also, all of these people are very successful, driven, and hard working. Alcohol never got in the way of those pursuits. I'm sure I'd have a more negative opinion of booze if I grew up around angry alcoholics who's lives were in shambles. In my family, alcohol was always present, but it was almost never at the root of the negative dynamics in the family, and if anything seemed to assuage them a bit.

There are a lot of people who's negative effects from alcohol are purely physical and it can actually be a positive in their inter-personal relationships (IE soul/mind of things). Obviously there are many people for whom that's not the case.

Alcohol is a very strange drug in that it effects people's mental state in very different ways depending on the brain chemistry of the person involved.
I grew up around a very similar environment.
My mom and dad drank daily when I was growing up, but it was never to excess and it helped them relax after very stressful workdays.
My mom would have 1 beer and my dad would have 2 and if it was a weekend he'd have 3.
I have never once seen them intoxicated and they both have had very successful careers.

So growing up I never saw alcohol as a bad thing. When family gatherings happened on my dads side (whole bunch of Irish and Germans) drinks would be a regular occurrence, but no one would ever drink to excess.
My grandpa (lived to 98) had a small 1-2 fingers worth of vodka daily for the last 15 years of his life.

Although, sometimes I wish I did see an alcoholic in a distant relative growing up, so I could've kept myself within guardrails as an undergrad, because that was a doozy.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Alcohol is a very strange drug in that it affects people's mental state in very different ways depending on the brain chemistry of the person involved.
You’re right on the variety of effects and for some people who use alcohol as a way to socialize and connect it can have Diem positives from the social side even if the physical effects are always negative.

In states where THC is legal we are seeing alcohol use drop in many demographics.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I'm hoping out of control binge drinking becomes the new smoking.

I grew up in an environment where some people had some major substance abuse issues. But that's one of those obvious things, and honestly one of the reasons why I very rarely drink at all outside of tailgating and a few special days a year. I probably have a drink 5-10 days a year.

But I honestly don't have a problem with people having a few drinks after a long day. That's not the issue with drinking at all. Beyond that though, and I've always felt this way to a certain extent, people who are just completely off their ass drunk in public I think is an embarrassment. I've had more than my share of beers, and I could beer bong/beer stick with the best of them back in the day. But I don't get not being able to function at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Anyone out there thinking about: just start. You can say you're going to do hundreds of times. Seems obvious, but actually starting is the only way the change can happen. Don't build it up to become something so daunting that you feel like all the right stars have to align. Start today. It's not a massive event it's as simple as not drinking today. That's how it starts. Worry about tomorrow after you've won today.
100% this.
Do it. If you fail on one day, that's ok, try again. If you succeed on one day, that's great, try again!

• Agree
Reactions: HOTDON

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Don't have a drink today. When tomorrow comes, repeat the cycle.
If "friends" are pushing you to drink then they are not really friends. Hang around people who don't usually drink and who will respect your efforts.
Not going to lie, posts like this are pretty irritating. If you don't want to drink that's fine, but don't be snobby about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

I for sure don't judge anyone that drinks regularly. Some of my best friends have a beer most nights. That said, if you've got to have a drink to be social or unwind or feel normal on a regular basis...that ain't good. Something ain't right. Evening walks, lift weights, go for a run, find a fun hobbie...all seem way better. Not to mention the empty calories people are sucking down. I'd say it's pretty easy to drink a thousand plus calories a week for some of these guys. Crazy to me, that's a textbook way to get fat or at least fatter.

Again, idgaf what people do I just don't get putting poison in you blood on the regular.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Can't quote everyone in the convo, but it's always interesting to read stuff like this, especially with how you grew up affects your view.

Growing up my parents never really drank around us unless it was for social occasions (including ISU tailgates). If anything, they might drink more since becoming empty nesters. Overall I'd say I'm the same way; social drinker, maybe 1 or 2 to tie off a weekend night, but outside of a work happy hour or vacation it's rare to see me drink on a weeknight.

I for sure don't judge anyone that drinks regularly. Some of my best friends have a beer most nights. That said, if you've got to have a drink to be social or unwind or feel normal on a regular basis...that ain't good. Something ain't right. Evening walks, lift weights, go for a run, find a fun hobbie...all seem way better. Not to mention the empty calories people are sucking down. I'd say it's pretty easy to drink a thousand plus calories a week for some of these guys. Crazy to me, that's a textbook way to get fat or at least fatter.

Again, idgaf what people do I just don't get putting poison in you blood on the regular.

Also a worthwhile conversation. I have a stressful job but usually am not compelled to seek out a drink first - exercise/working out has proven to be a better stress reliever for me than booze. But if people use alcohol to take the edge off without abusing it or hurting others, it's hard for me to get worked up about it.

If we're concerned about people "putting poison into their blood" we need to also include sugar, trans fats and processed foods in the conversation.

Reactions: madguy30

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Yeah, I’ve quit using alcohol to manage stress because it don’t really help. Physical activity is the best way for me to de-stress.

• Winner
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I used to drink when I was below 30 years of age with no problems. Then I got older and it was much different. I was mean, I would be tired, and belly was bloated. I don't drink anymore and it is worth it.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Can't quote everyone in the convo, but it's always interesting to read stuff like this, especially with how you grew up affects your view.

Growing up my parents never really drank around us unless it was for social occasions (including ISU tailgates). If anything, they might drink more since becoming empty nesters. Overall I'd say I'm the same way; social drinker, maybe 1 or 2 to tie off a weekend night, but outside of a work happy hour or vacation it's rare to see me drink on a weeknight.

Also a worthwhile conversation. I have a stressful job but usually am not compelled to seek out a drink first - exercise/working out has proven to be a better stress reliever for me than booze. But if people use alcohol to take the edge off without abusing it or hurting others, it's hard for me to get worked up about it.

If we're concerned about people "putting poison into their blood" we need to also include sugar, trans fats and processed foods in the conversation.
Trans fats have been banned essentially, sugar isn’t inherently “poison” like alcohol and processed foods again aren’t “poison”. They just have had the low calorie bulk taken out.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29 and herbicide

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Not going to lie, posts like this are pretty irritating. If you don't want to drink that's fine, but don't be snobby about it.
I get where you're coming from, and it's just as irritating for someone to assume anyone who chooses not to drink because they 'must have a real problem'. Like with most things everyone is a shade of gray rather than black or white. I don't avoid social functions and am happy to DD and look after friends and family if needed. But there are people who absolutely can't be around the temptation and have friends that exist only because the relationship to alcohol. That's certainly where the comment came from.

Alcohol aside most people have had a friend or group they had to cut loose to move on from something. I only posted here because the OP was clearly looking for some success stories. I don't bring it up otherwise or try to push others to make the same choice. I mean, it's not CrossFit...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Trans fats have been banned essentially, sugar isn’t inherently “poison” like alcohol and processed foods again aren’t “poison”. They just have had the low calorie bulk taken out.

Informally I count them in the 'poison' column due to the addiction/cravings they create for more.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched