AAC and Sun Belt raiding C-USA

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
SMU to the Mountain West seems obvious. Maybe Memphis or Tulsa to go along with them? UTEP and New Mexico State belong in the Mountain West but I don’t see that happening.

The new WAC is going to go FBS as a group. That's where UTEP and New Mexico State end up. New Mexico will block NMSU getting into the Mountain West.

I think you're right about Tulsa and Memphis to the Mountain West, especially if Gonzaga ends up there for basketball.

The AAC is just going to end up as CUSA with a different name and worse geography.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A couple months after the AAC and ESPN tried to kill the Big 12… the AAC is now arguably the 8th best conference behind the Power 5, Mtn West, and Sun Belt.

Guessing the divisions will be:

West:
Navy
SMU
UTSA
Rice
North Texas
Tulsa
Tulane or Memphis

East:
Tulane or Memphis
UAB
USF
FAU
East Carolina
Charlotte
Temple

Yikes

I feel for schools like SMU and Memphis and Tulsa. A few months ago they were in the 6th best conference with an argument to be a low level power conference. Now, they're an afterthought again. All because Texas and Oklahoma "need" more money. Hope the taxpayers of those states recognize they are subsidizing the OuT move through having to support the smaller schools even more.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I feel bad for all these smaller schools with decent basketball programs. They are getting f'd hard. Reallignment is ruining **** so bad. I feel lucky more and more everyday that we haven't been ****** over HARD yet.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
SMU to the Mountain West seems obvious. Maybe Memphis or Tulsa to go along with them? UTEP and New Mexico State belong in the Mountain West but I don’t see that happening.

SMU, UTSA, Tulane, and Memphis to the Mtn West is my guess. And then the AAC will raid CUSA for two more - maybe Marshall and somebody.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
They should have decided less is more. They really watered down their league with this move.
I agree.

Florida Atlantic to replace UCF is a solid move.
UTSA to replace Houston is a solid move.
UAB to replace Cincinnati is a solid move.

Rice (Houston), North Texas (Metroplex) and Charlotte are all about potential TVs.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
They should have decided less is more. They really watered down their league with this move.

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I’d argue that ESPN is trying to lock up as much long-term fixed-cost (and underpriced) inventory as possible before. It may not make football sense, but if I’m a network exec securing games in 10 years for 2019 prices without competing with tech companies, I’ll sign now and worry later.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I agree.

Florida Atlantic to replace UCF is a solid move.
UTSA to replace Houston is a solid move.
UAB to replace Cincinnati is a solid move.

Rice (Houston), North Texas (Metroplex) and Charlotte are all about potential TVs.

Seems to me their only metric was large metros for potential TVs.

Temple fans are dreaming of joining A10 and going indy in football like Ucon w/BE after these moves.

If these were the best options, I would have stopped with UTSA and UAB. Play a round robin. I figured Army was off the table. Does this mean MAC teams and SunBelt teams were also off the table?

Reactions: AlaCyclone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The MAC is the last conference that makes geographic sense and they've all got histories together and similar budgets. It'd be damn hard to convince any of them to leave other than Buffalo but there's really nowhere for Buffalo to go.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The MAC is the last conference that makes geographic sense and they've all got histories together and similar budgets. It'd be damn hard to convince any of them to leave other than Buffalo but there's really nowhere for Buffalo to go.
I've wondered if UNI was bigger enrollment wise if they could maybe, maybe be a MAC school.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I've wondered if UNI was bigger enrollment wise if they could maybe, maybe be a MAC school.

When UNI wrestled in the MAC there were some very preliminary discussions but they never went anywhere. UNI is a disaster right now from an athletic administration standpoint so it's probably best that it didn't happen.

Once Ben Jacobson leaves after this year (he's incredibly unhappy), UNI becomes a doormat in The Valley and, most likely, never recovers. The glory days of UNI Athletics have been over for a while and we're just waiting on that final nail.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
When UNI wrestled in the MAC there were some very preliminary discussions but they never went anywhere. UNI is a disaster right now from an athletic administration standpoint so it's probably best that it didn't happen.

Once Ben Jacobson leaves after this year (he's incredibly unhappy), UNI becomes a doormat in The Valley and, most likely, never recovers. The glory days of UNI Athletics have been over for a while and we're just waiting on that final nail.
Why is he unhappy? Seems like he’s had opportunities to leave in the past.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Why is he unhappy? Seems like he’s had opportunities to leave in the past.

Major friction with the AD. Several projects and promises have not been followed through on. Marketing has been awful which has led to smaller crowds and reduced season ticket numbers which directly effects Jake's compensation. His recruiting budget has been slashed and Jake was reprimanded for spending too much on the Vermont buy game this year though it's well within the bounds of what his contract guarantees.

Farley is having similar issues. The new practice facility for football and the new team room in the Dome were completely fundraised by Mark on his own dime flying back and forth to Florida to work with lead donors.

David Harris is, frankly, incompetent and he's going to take UNI Athletics down with it.

• Eggplant
Reactions: Hoggins

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The new WAC is going to go FBS as a group. That's where UTEP and New Mexico State end up. New Mexico will block NMSU getting into the Mountain West.

I think you're right about Tulsa and Memphis to the Mountain West, especially if Gonzaga ends up there for basketball.

The AAC is just going to end up as CUSA with a different name and worse geography.

If I'm the WAC and Mountain West, I'd combine and then add the best available teams from the mess that is the AAC

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Major friction with the AD. Several projects and promises have not been followed through on. Marketing has been awful which has led to smaller crowds and reduced season ticket numbers which directly effects Jake's compensation. His recruiting budget has been slashed and Jake was reprimanded for spending too much on the Vermont buy game this year though it's well within the bounds of what his contract guarantees.

Farley is having similar issues. The new practice facility for football and the new team room in the Dome were completely fundraised by Mark on his own dime flying back and forth to Florida to work with lead donors.

David Harris is, frankly, incompetent and he's going to take UNI Athletics down with it.
Frankly this is good. Shut that AD down