#8 Kentucky vs #9 ???

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
It should be a decent game, but KSU hasn't been so good away from the #OctagonOfDumb. There's my tourney bracket $0.02 for ya.
Kentucky has sucked away from home as well. Kansas State did decent in conference road game they played against teams that did not make the tourney. The problem is that they only had three of those, going 2-1. Kentucky went 5-3 in their conference road games against teams that did not make the tournament. Kentucky's road prowess looks better only because they played more crummy teams on the road and even then still dropped several stinkers. The SEC has FIVE teams with RPIs lower than Texas Tech and seven lower than West Virginia. That's crazy.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
this will be a good indication of just how strong the big12 is going into the tournament. i've said all along that the big12 is a bit overrated. friday night will tell a lot. k-state was competitive with everyone in-conference, home and away, save a couple games, and beat everyone sans baylor. unfortunately, uk looks a lot like baylor size-wise.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Kentucky has the talent to beat anyone. If they figure that out, and learn to play team ball, they could be dangerous.

I'm really not trying to make this a personal jab but it seems like you like to spout the ESPN/media lines about all the "favorites" to win the tournament. I'm guessing you have Louisville/Michigan St./Kentucky/Duke/Florida all going far??

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
this will be a good indication of just how strong the big12 is going into the tournament. i've said all along that the big12 is a bit overrated. friday night will tell a lot. k-state was competitive with everyone in-conference, home and away, save a couple games, and beat everyone sans baylor. unfortunately, uk looks a lot like baylor size-wise.

Not necessarily. Kentucky has more talent on their roster than pretty much any other team, certainly more than any other Big 12 team, save arguably KU. Their biggest problem is consistent play. If they get it together to beat KSU, it just means that they played to potential, not necessarily a statement on the strength of the Big 12 in general. Just the same, if KSU comes out and wins, it's not necessarily a statement of the dominance of the Big 12. Hard to take much away from a game against UK with their inconsistency.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I agree the media acts like UK isn't even playing K-State. I think this game could go either way. UK will not like the physical style that K-State plays. This game has to be considered a toss-up. It's crazy the media is already talking about a UK/WSU matchup when the UK/K-State matchup seems intriguing.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I'm really not trying to make this a personal jab but it seems like you like to spout the ESPN/media lines about all the "favorites" to win the tournament. I'm guessing you have Louisville/Michigan St./Kentucky/Duke/Florida all going far??

Did you watch Kentucky play Florida in that SEC title game? They play like that and they are going to be a VERY tough out.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
This was an easy pick for me. I hate Kentucky but their size will kill KSU. Kentucky wins and wins pretty easily I think. I also have Kentucky beating Wichita State and am flirting with them even beating Louisville. Gross

Well, UK has beaten Louisville once already this year.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Did you watch Kentucky play Florida in that SEC title game? They play like that and they are going to be a VERY tough out.
I thought Florida played like a team that already knew that game didn't matter. In the end when UK really needed a basket they didn't even get a shot off for like the last 2.5 minutes. They will struggle with K-State's D.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

I watched bits and pieces, they looked ok. Their problem hasn't been when they're "on" this year, it's been inconsistency and what they look like when they're "off."

I was more referring to the poster making comments in more than one thread that sound exactly like something Vitale would be spouting. "Never count out an Izzo coached team", "Louisville is playing as good as anyone in the country", and "Kentucky has the talent to beat anyone in the country" to name a few. Guess I'm just cranky and sick of hearing those overused phrases.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
So, apparently Kentucky has a bye in the first round against K-State. My Big 12 pride is in overdrive here and I really think their defense will annoy the hell out of Kentucky. I'm just stunned at how the national "experts" are assuming the Kentucky win.

We were supposed to lose UConn and never even had a shot according to anyone at all. I think we lead that game 31-9 or something at one point too. Kansas State wins this game.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Not necessarily. Kentucky has more talent on their roster than pretty much any other team, certainly more than any other Big 12 team, save arguably KU. Their biggest problem is consistent play. If they get it together to beat KSU, it just means that they played to potential, not necessarily a statement on the strength of the Big 12 in general. Just the same, if KSU comes out and wins, it's not necessarily a statement of the dominance of the Big 12. Hard to take much away from a game against UK with their inconsistency.

UK players also need to learn to share the ball.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I watched bits and pieces, they looked ok. Their problem hasn't been when they're "on" this year, it's been inconsistency and what they look like when they're "off."

I was more referring to the poster making comments in more than one thread that sound exactly like something Vitale would be spouting. "Never count out an Izzo coached team", "Louisville is playing as good as anyone in the country", and "Kentucky has the talent to beat anyone in the country" to name a few. Guess I'm just cranky and sick of hearing those overused phrases.

"Louisville are the defending champs and they are still in it."

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
KSU beating UK and WSU was my 'outside the box' pick this year...even though I hate them.

Playing close to home and they're a solid team for being third fiddle in their state and likely have a big chip on their shoulder. WSU won't have played a comparable team in quite a while if they get to them. Just imagine how amped ISU would be if UNI were 30-0 and the national media darling without playing a tough schedule.

AgCyclone

May 7, 2013
Ames
I really hope K state wins, I have K State beating Kentucky and Witchita State. Kentucky doesn't shoot threes, and I think Foster will get on fire.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
uk's height may beat k-state. baylor was the only conference team to beat state twice. reality is, cats are playing on house money now. just getting to the tournament makes the season a success for this year's outfit. so, they should be loose. and the frosh are now well-schooled.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron