4 Mega Conferences

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Now that the Pac 10 has created the model for future conferences- 16 teams. I've heard some members of the national media speculate does this set the stage for 4 mega conferences with 16 members each.

Does this set the stage for logical expansion? Conferences with strong geographic focus vs. the model when the Big 10 originally got this ball rolling - basically a money grab. If the Big 10 were to go after schools like ND, Texas, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.

Here is a structure for four 16 team conferences that makes a lot of sense to me. The highlights of what I propose are:
  • In keeping with Big 10 tradition. It wouldn't be a 16 team conference, but 17 teams. An even number teams is ideal, but the Big 10 has shown having an odd number is workable.
  • Miami & FSU would move from the ACC to the SEC.
  • The ACC would expand up the East coast.
  • This might not be the perfect money grab that was originally speculated for the Big 10. Schools like ISU, KU & KSU won't increase the Big 10's current payout of $22M annually/school. However, I think the addition of ND, and a 16 team football playoff system, the payout/school would go up.
  • I think for the below to happen, the NCAA and maybe political entities might have to step in to create an athletics landscape where there are limited losers. The only team left out of my proposal is Baylor. Like my proposal of having a 17 team Big 10, maybe there should be a 17 team Pac 10. The Big 12 South teams could make this happen if they want it. Otherwise, Baylor might make sense as the 10th team in the MWC.
ACC​
Clemson​
Boston College​
Wake Forest​
North Carolina State​
Maryland​
Georgia Tech​
Virginia Tech​
North Carolina​
Duke​
Virginia​
Pittsburgh​
West Virginia​
Rutgers​
Connecticut​
Syracuse​
South Florida 3-4 8-5​

Big Ten​
Ohio State 7-1 11-2​
Iowa 6-2 11-2​
Penn State 6-2 11-2​
Northwestern 5-3 8-5​
Wisconsin 5-3 10-3​
Michigan State 4-4 6-7​
Purdue 4-4 5-7​
Minnesota 3-5 6-7​
Illinois 2-6 3-9​
Michigan 1-7 5-7​
Indiana 1-7 4​
Notre Dame​
Nebraska 6-2 10-4​
Missouri 4-4 8-5​
Kansas State 4-4 6-6​
Iowa State 3-5 7-6​
Kansas 1-7 5-7​

Pac 10​
Oregon​
Arizona​
Oregon State​
Stanford​
USC​
California​
Washington​
UCLA​
Arizona State​
Washington State​
Colorado​
Texas​
Oklahoma State​
Texas Tech​
Oklahoma​
Texas A&M​
Baylor ???​

SEC​
Florida​
Georgia​
Tennessee​
Kentucky​
South Carolina​
Vanderbilt​
Alabama​
LSU​
Mississippi​
Arkansas​
Auburn​
Mississippi State​
Louisville​
Cincinnati​
Florida State​
Miami (FL)​

Last edited:

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Now that the Pac 10 has created the model for future conferences- 16 teams. I've heard some members of the national media speculate does this set the stage for 4 mega conferences with 16 members each.

Does this set the stage for logical expansion? Conferences with strong geographic focus vs. the model when the Big 10 originally got this ball rolling - basically a money grab. If the Big 10 were to go after schools like ND, Texas, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.

Here is a structure for four 16 team conferences that makes a lot of sense to me. The highlights of what I propose are:
  • In keeping with Big 10 tradition. It wouldn't be a 16 team conference, but 17 teams. An even number teams is ideal, but the Big 10 has shown having an odd number is workable.
  • Miami & FSU would move from the ACC to the SEC.
  • The ACC would expand up the East coast.
  • This might not be the perfect money grab that was originally speculated for the Big 10. Schools like ISU, KU & KSU won't increase the Big 10's current payout of $22M annually/school. However, I think the addition of ND, and a 16 team football playoff system, the payout/school would go up.
  • I think for the below to happen, the NCAA and maybe political entities might have to step in to create an athletics landscape where there are limited losers. The only team left out of my proposal is Baylor. Like my proposal of having a 17 team Big 10, maybe there should be a 17 team Pac 10. The Big 12 South teams could make this happen if they want it. Otherwise, Baylor might make sense as the 10th team in the MWC.
ACC​
Clemson​
Boston College​
Wake Forest​
North Carolina State​
Maryland​
Georgia Tech​
Virginia Tech​
North Carolina​
Duke​
Virginia​
Pittsburgh​
West Virginia​
Rutgers​
Connecticut​
Syracuse​
South Florida 3-4 8-5​

Big Ten​
Ohio State 7-1 11-2​
Iowa 6-2 11-2​
Penn State 6-2 11-2​
Northwestern 5-3 8-5​
Wisconsin 5-3 10-3​
Michigan State 4-4 6-7​
Purdue 4-4 5-7​
Minnesota 3-5 6-7​
Illinois 2-6 3-9​
Michigan 1-7 5-7​
Indiana 1-7 4​
Notre Dame​
Nebraska 6-2 10-4​
Missouri 4-4 8-5​
Kansas State 4-4 6-6​
Iowa State 3-5 7-6​
Kansas 1-7 5-7​

Pac 10​
Oregon​
Arizona​
Oregon State​
Stanford​
USC​
California​
Washington​
UCLA​
Arizona State​
Washington State​
Colorado​
Texas​
Oklahoma State​
Texas Tech​
Oklahoma​
Texas A&M​
Baylor ???​

SEC​
Florida​
Georgia​
Tennessee​
Kentucky​
South Carolina​
Vanderbilt​
Alabama​
LSU​
Mississippi​
Arkansas​
Auburn​
Mississippi State​
Louisville​
Cincinnati​
Florida State​
Miami (FL)​

if the are 4 mega conference Iowa State will not be in one of them

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
if the are 4 mega conference Iowa State will not be in one of them

Why wouldn't ISU be part of a 64-66 team mega conference set-up? ISU has a number of nationally ranked athletic programs in wrestling, volleyball, women's hoops. Our FB program went to a bowl game last season. The MBB program has probably the most tradition of fan support and success at a national level.

Like I said. If the NCAA is going to sit back and let this come down to a pure money grab, then ISU will probably be left on the outside looking in. However, if the NCAA and conferenences do what is best for college athletics as a whole, then what I lay out makes a lot of sense- financially and a system where fans are best served.

weisr2002

Mar 13, 2009
I don't think this will stand up legally. They will have to allow at least an at large bid from the other conferences.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Why wouldn't ISU be part of a 64-66 team mega conference set-up? ISU has a number of nationally ranked athletic programs in wrestling, volleyball, women's hoops. Our FB program went to a bowl game last season. The MBB program has probably the most tradition of fan support and success at a national level.

Like I said. If the NCAA is going to sit back and let this come down to a pure money grab, then ISU will probably be left on the outside looking in. However, if the NCAA and conferenences do what is best for college athletics as a whole, then what I lay out makes a lot of sense- financially and a system where fans are best served.

well since VB,WBB, and wrestling are irrelevant nationally, Iowa State is not a name brand

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No offense, but pretty much every prediction isuno1fan has ever made was dead ******* wrong. I remember him telling me 2 months ago that expansion was just a ploy to get Notre Dame.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
K-State would get in before ISU unfortunately. Baylor may even as well.

For the last time, K State will be getting no invitation to the Big 10/16. It is a glorified junior college.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
No offense, but pretty much every prediction isuno1fan has ever made was dead ******* wrong. I remember him telling me 2 months ago that expansion was just a ploy to get Notre Dame.

It was at the time.

Seriously though..I laugh at how the opposite I predict comes true all the time. Is it bad that I think we'll land on our feet somewhere?

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa

I feel as as if everybody forgets that part about us going to a bowl last year. Plus, doing it with a new coach. Do they ever remember that we are rebuilding our football program. Not just our football program, but our men's basketball program. We arleady have a good wrestling(ranked 2nd in nation), volleyball(Huge ncaa run), wbb(Elite 8 a couple seasons ago, sweet sixteen last season, but was stopped by the nat champ, and ranked), xc/track program--> (Lisa Koll won a NCAA title with another teammate coming in 2nd), and they say our athletic program sucks. Gives us time on the football, it will come. They maybe should look at other athletics programs other than football. Yes, football is a big sport, and is the leading factor, but also they should look at the fans.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron