30 vs. 31 scheduled games

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
In looking at our schedule, I saw that we only have 30 total games scheduled (12 OOC, 18 B12). It also seems like the vast majority of other teams have 31 games. Assuming that in most years, we would be tournament contenders, why would we willingly forgo an opportunity to record a win? It often seems as if 20 wins is a magic number as far as tourney selection is concerned. Obviously playing a horrible team doesn't help RPI, but I would think that we could schedule a decent mid major every year to fill this spot.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It all depends on how many games your exempt tourney has. NCAA rules allow you to play a total of 27 or 29 games, plus an exempt tourney, but you cannot play more than 31 total games. So since the Puerto Rico Tipoff has 3 games, we can only play 27, plus the three games as part of that tourney.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It all depends on how many games your exempt tourney has. NCAA rules allow you to play a total of 27 or 29 games, plus an exempt tourney, but you cannot play more than 31 total games. So since the Puerto Rico Tipoff has 3 games, we can only play 27, plus the three games as part of that tourney.

28 games + exempt tourney isn't an option? That seems odd.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Our scheduling practices leave a lot to be desired in most every way.

Maybe next year you'll finally be happy with our scheduling. Non-con will be a beast. Just remember that when our win total is lower than usual heading into conference

• Agree
Reactions: sadam

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Our scheduling practices leave a lot to be desired in most every way.

I think it's much harder than we all think to schedule. There isn't much to be gained from pounding a 300+ rpi team too many times as it just hurts our rpi. We can't get anyone to come to Hilton, and tournaments are a crapshoot sometimes.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
In looking at our schedule, I saw that we only have 30 total games scheduled (12 OOC, 18 B12). It also seems like the vast majority of other teams have 31 games. Assuming that in most years, we would be tournament contenders, why would we willingly forgo an opportunity to record a win? It often seems as if 20 wins is a magic number as far as tourney selection is concerned. Obviously playing a horrible team doesn't help RPI, but I would think that we could schedule a decent mid major every year to fill this spot.
TigerCy are you referencing ISU or ND schedule?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Scheduling is the single hardest thing any program has to do at any level.

You can use the Iowa model that says you fill your dates with home games and don't worry about RPI and hope your league schedule is good enough to get you in.

You can use the UNI model that says you play anybody, anywhere and hope you can end up with enough home games to make your season ticket package viable.

You can try to overpay your guarantee opponents in the RPI 100-250 range so that you can get decent dates (North Carolina is amazing at this)

Or you can just simply do the best you can do to balance the need for home games versus the need to play high quality opponents to improve your tournament resume. I think Iowa State does a decent job with this. Play in a decent exempt tournament, grab a home and home (lucked out a bit with Mizzou being better than expected, Iowa is never going to kill you numbers wise), play one decent buy game (Milwaukee) and its always better when you get UNI rather than Drake in Des Moines.

The rules would have allowed you to take the 31st game by playing one of the Puerto Rico teams within 10 days of that tournament but I don't think you needed to. I think there's enough on the bone that if you do well you'll be okay.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Give me the win, especially when the team needs games to get used to each other.

What does beating a horrible team accomplish? For all we know practice might benefit this team more than crushing some crappy team and hurting our RPI

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I can't directly dispute your analysis — I might be in the dark about what "exempt" entails, or I'm mis-interpreting the NCAA rules you stated. ... Random example, Notre Dame plays in Maui Invite (3-game-robin, as with Puerto Rico), but has 31 regular-season games. I'm asking for clarification.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't care about RPI. Win enough games and we'd get in.

That's not how it works. If it would benefit for us to pay one more cupcake to come to Hilton to beat them down we would have done it. They chose not to

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I can't directly dispute your analysis — I might be in the dark about what "exempt" entails, or I'm mis-interpreting the NCAA rules you stated. ... Random example, Notre Dame plays in Maui Invite (3-game-robin, as with Puerto Rico), but has 31 regular-season games. I'm asking for clarification.

Good question, I have no idea. @1UNI2ISU is better at this stuff than I am, so Im sure he can clarify.

• Useful
Reactions: cyclones500

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

Notre Dame's game against Mount St. Mary's is also a Maui Invite game as there is a championship bracket and regional bracket with an opening round of games on the mainland before the main tournament.

http://mauiinvitational.com/news/20...ening-and-regional-games-slate-announced.aspx
http://mauiinvitational.com/news/20...ening-and-regional-games-slate-announced.aspx
I don't know why the Puerto Rico tournament does not add a fourth game. The whole thing is very convoluted and confusing.