3 Big XII in BCS

dundermifflin

Nov 14, 2007
Two scenerios that should produce three Big 12 teams in the BCS.

1. OU beats tech in close game, OU beats OSU and texas wins out. OU wins or loses to MU. Big 12 championship game winner is in but why would they not take Tech and Texas.

2. Tech beats OU, Texas wins out, MU beats tech in close Big 12 championship game (essential home game for MU). MU goes, but they should also take Tech and Texas. The winner of the Big 12 south would not go.

Is there a rule against taking 3 from one conference. Everything I read has 2 big 10 and 2 big 12.

DougMasters

Mar 31, 2008
Yes, it's a rule, a conference can only have 2 teams in the BCS. Sorry all your thinking there was for nothing.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Two scenerios that should produce three Big 12 teams in the BCS.

1. OU beats tech in close game, OU beats OSU and texas wins out. OU wins or loses to MU. Big 12 championship game winner is in but why would they not take Tech and Texas.

2. Tech beats OU, Texas wins out, MU beats tech in close Big 12 championship game (essential home game for MU). MU goes, but they should also take Tech and Texas. The winner of the Big 12 south would not go.

Is there a rule against taking 3 from one conference. Everything I read has 2 big 10 and 2 big 12.

Sorry Newb, but you can only have 2 BCS births per conference.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
If we're talking about the top 10 teams that "should" make the top 5 bowls, I would have to go with TT, Texas, OU, Ok St, Mizzou, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, USC, and Penn St.

The Big 10 certainly is weak, but what other 2nd place team deserves it more? Certainly nobody from the ACC or Big East, and the Pac 10 is really just USC at the top and not much else. As much as it pains me to say, Ohio St probably deserves it, based on the current rules. Of course Big 12 and SEC teams are getting ripped.

dundermifflin

Nov 14, 2007
If we're talking about the top 10 teams that "should" make the top 5 bowls, I would have to go with TT, Texas, OU, Ok St, Mizzou, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, USC, and Penn St.

The Big 10 certainly is weak, but what other 2nd place team deserves it more? Certainly nobody from the ACC or Big East, and the Pac 10 is really just USC at the top and not much else. As much as it pains me to say, Ohio St probably deserves it, based on the current rules. Of course Big 12 and SEC teams are getting ripped.

Oregon State needs to win out, so Southern Cal is an at large team.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I saw an article from Jon Miller talking about two Big 11 teams in the BCS. Not sure what he was smoking today, but at least neither of the teams he mentioned was Iowa.

Two Big 11 teams in the BCS? This year? Where did you see that article, The Onion? The Sports Pickle?

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
I saw an article from Jon Miller talking about two Big 11 teams in the BCS. Not sure what he was smoking today, but at least neither of the teams he mentioned was Iowa.

No big 10 team deserves to be in the BCS this year, bad teams and bad conference, bowl games should also be limited to those big 10 teams that have at least 8 wins.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
No big 10 team deserves to be in the BCS this year, bad teams and bad conference, bowl games should also be limited to those big 10 teams that have at least 8 wins.
As much as I despise the Big 10, Penn State deserves to be in the BCS as much as do any of the teams from the ACC or the Big East.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Penn State will make the Rose bowl and then when it comes to picking at large bids, the first bowl to pick will almost certainly pick Ohio State because their fans travel to bowls better than anyone in the country. And when it comes down to it, it is not about the best teams, it's all about the money.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
If Missouri happens to win the Big 12 championship game, then two of these teams won't be in a BCS bowl game: Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Texas. :no:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So we have 10 spots to fill which could be
Big XII Champ
Big 11 Champ
Big East Champ
ACC Champ
SEC Champ
Pac-10 Champ
Utah - if they beat BYU
Big XII runner up
SEC runner up
USC - if Oregon State wins out

If either Oregon State or Utah loses, then you are looking at either the Big11 runner up or someone else from the Pac10.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
If Oregon State loses then USC will be the only Pac-10 BCS team. Everyone else will have 3 or more losses. If either Oregon State or Utah loses, then the last at-large spot will come down to a choice between Boise State and Ohio State, as long as they both win out. Boise State will be ranked higher in the BCS standings but if they aren't in the top five then the BCS bowl can opt to invite Ohio State for their annual beatdown if they want.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If Oregon State loses then USC will be the only Pac-10 BCS team. Everyone else will have 3 or more losses. If either Oregon State or Utah loses, then the last at-large spot will come down to a choice between Boise State and Ohio State, as long as they both win out. Boise State will be ranked higher in the BCS standings but if they aren't in the top five then the BCS bowl can opt to invite Ohio State for their annual beatdown if they want.

Wrong.

First they look at the top 10 teams in the BCS standings to find teams for the BCS games. If they can't find an eligible team (and the third team from any conference is considered ineligible), they then expand it to the top 14 teams. If they still can't find an eligible team, they expand the search to the top 18 teams. If they still can't find an eligible team, they keep expanding the field by 4 teams until they do find an eligible team.

FOX Sports on MSN - BCSFootball - BCS Selection Procedures

Read it. Learn it. Love it. No matter how much you want to dream it, there will NOT be three Big XII teams in the BCS this year.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Wrong.

First they look at the top 10 teams in the BCS standings to find teams for the BCS games. If they can't find an eligible team (and the third team from any conference is considered ineligible), they then expand it to the top 14 teams. If they still can't find an eligible team, they expand the search to the top 18 teams. If they still can't find an eligible team, they keep expanding the field by 4 teams until they do find an eligible team.

FOX Sports on MSN - BCSFootball - BCS Selection Procedures

Read it. Learn it. Love it. No matter how much you want to dream it, there will NOT be three Big XII teams in the BCS this year.

I never said there would be 3 Big XII BCS teams in the BCS, that's not possible. What I said was that an undeserving BCS conference team (like Ohio State) can be selected for an at-large berth ahead of a higher ranked mid-major (like Utah or Boise State).

Try actually reading what I post before you show your ignorance in the future. Thanks.